The Novel in the Viola

SueK

I loved this book from beginning to end. Natasha Solomons conveys a wonderful sense of the period and her descriptions of the Dorset countryside are just brilliant.

The story revolves around Elise, the youngest daughter of a middle class jewish family in Vienna, just before the Anschluss in 1938. She manages to get a visa to work as a servant in England and becomes a maid in a large country house in Tyneford. She makes her mark fairly quickly, not quite fitting in as a servant due to her background and although she is a hard worker she isn't quite accepted by the other members of the household. She is always living in hope that her parents will join her in England once their visas are ready but war breaks out and plans are abrubtly changed. Elise's hopes and dreams are dashed more than once but she is a strong personality and a fighter. The horrors of war are not depicted in graphic detail, but that makes the story far more poignant. The futility of war is all too apparent.

A superb novel and I look forward to more from Ms Solomons.

Edited by SueK

As I've mentioned before on another thread, I can't wait to get this book. I'm so pleased you liked it Sue, and I'm eagerly anticipating reading it, especially now I know it has descriptions of the Dorset countryside - my favourite place in the world, as my user name will attest!

There's no date on a Kindle version yet, but I'm hoping it will be as soon as the hardback is released, but it will depend on the cost as to whether I can afford it straight away :D

As I've mentioned before on another thread, I can't wait to get this book. I'm so pleased you liked it Sue, and I'm eagerly anticipating reading it, especially now I know it has descriptions of the Dorset countryside - my favourite place in the world, as my user name will attest!

There's no date on a Kindle version yet, but I'm hoping it will be as soon as the hardback is released, but it will depend on the cost as to whether I can afford it straight away :D

I think you will love it Chesil. I know the area a little (it is based on the ghost village of Tyneham) and I recently discovered that my great-uncle was stationed there when it was requisitioned during the war. I've been to Lulworth, Durdle Dor and Wareham and am quite jealous of you living in such a lovely area.

I believe Amazon are bringing out the paperback in May

• 10 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I really enjoyed this book too and the way that the area the story was set in was described really brought the book to life. I agree that the ending was a bit odd and I felt that it didn't really fit with the rest of the book.