Game of Thrones

Karsa Orlong

So far my favourite character is Tyrion - he's just got so much life to him as well as the intelligence. He doesn't seem to let anyone or anything get to him. :)

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tyrion is really good - and his character in the book, too, is so complicated and conflicted. Since I don't have A game of thrones available, I've started re-reading A clash of kings. I found new sympathy for Sansa only a few chapters in. Very very excited for the next episode, possibly even more excited than I am for Doctor Who! And to my surprise and pleasure, my OH is also really enjoying the show :D He's never been one for fantasy outside of LOTR and Harry Potter.

Thought episode three was the best so far. The pacing's finally settled down and they're giving the characters a bit of room to breathe now, plus a couple of characters I've been waiting to see finally turned up. The closing scene was perfect! :D

I'm taping this on Sky - only watched the first two episodes - not really taken with it but then I haven't read the book so it probably doesn't mean as much to me however my OH seems to like it ( could be something to do with the nudey women!)

There's an entertaining Q&A session with Mark Addy, Sean Bean, Harry Lloyd and Gemma Jackson here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pJzPbNFETR0

Mark Addy and Harry Lloyd are really into the whole thing, by the looks of it. Sean Bean keeps putting his foot in it :lol:

I actually gasped at the end of the latest episode. There's gonna be trouble next week!!!

Oh yes :lol:

Another more thoughtful, character-driven episode last night, which I'm all for. I'm liking the way they're dealing with Ned's investigation into Jon Arryn's death (CSI King's Landing!), and Arya trying to balance on one toe (she wasn't in it nearly enough last night). I also liked how they dealt with Sam's introduction, and it was good to see Jon's direwolf, Ghost, if only for a few seconds, and Dany finally coming into her own. Their version of Hodor is older than the one I'd imagined, and the tournament was a HUGE disappointment compared to the book. Budget constraints, no doubt.

Edited by Karsa Orlong

• 2 weeks later...

Sansa is really annoying at the moment. Loved Arya's "Seven hells!" line :lol:

Edit: Also thought Tyrion's confession was brilliant

Edited by Karsa Orlong

Has anyone else noticed the similarities between the Borgias and the characters of GOT? Actually, there's a bit of Stark thrown in there too, to help it along. Check this out:

Borgias: Sancha de Aragon married Joffre Borgia (the youngest of the Borgia brothers)

GOT: Sansa Stark is engaged to be married to Joffrey Lanister (note similarities with names!)

Borgias: Lucrezia Borgia is believed to have had incestuous relationships with her brother (and her father) and possibly to have fathered a child to him.

GOT: Cersei Lannister has an incestuous relationship with her brother (Jaime) and has borne him three children.

Borgias: Lucrezia Borgia was rumored to be a notorious poisoner and she became famous for her skill at political intrigue.

GOT: Cersei Lannister thinks nothing of killing people who get in her way and is highly political and ambitious.

Those are just the most obvious ones I've spotted. I'm certain there will be more. Anyone else got any?

I don't think there's much doubt that he's used history for the basis of certain characters/events in the books. He's even said that he views it as his version of the War of the Roses.

If only Ned had worked that middle one out as fast as you :lol::doh:

Should it be marked as a spoiler, though, for anyone who's yet to watch/read the series?

Edited by Karsa Orlong

• 2 weeks later...

Last night's ep was awesome - best hour of tv I've seen in ages. Credit to George RR Martin for his writing on the episode - to cram so much vital information and so many brilliant scenes into 58 minutes - wow! They've been ratcheting up the tension in the last couple of eps and now it's starting to pay off. I think every character had at least one major scene. And Bronn still got the best line :lol:

Cracking :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Watched the final episode last night - what a great way to end it! I can hardly wait for season 2 to start - I wish I knew when that would be!

I'm going to get hold of the books and read them at a rate of one each month so I can spread it out a little. I think there are 6 books in teh series, so if istart reading them next month, that will take me to the end of the year, and then I'll only have a few more months to wait till season 2...

I wonder if anyone else would be interested in a reading circle based on that..?

ETA: Argh! There are only 5 books!!! That would take me to November. Maybe I'll start reading in August...

ETA: I've set up a poll re this HERE.

ETA: Argh! There are only 5 books!!! That would take me to November. Maybe I'll start reading in August...

I think the publishers in the UK (anywhere else?) caused confusion by splitting the third book, A Storm of Swords, into two parts for its paperback release (called 'Steel & Snow' and 'Blood & Gold'). Officially, the fifth book, A Dance With Dragons, is out in a couple of weeks time, but if you're in the UK it's effectively the sixth book :doh:

You can get A Storm of Swords in one volume on the Kindle, though, for £8.99, or you can get all of them excluding A Dance With Dragons for £19.99.

Edit: The Kindle versions don't include the maps, though.

Edited by Karsa Orlong