• Announcements

• Hayley

Something Wicked This Way Comes...   10/09/2019

The Autumn Supporter Giveaway!       Welcome to the very first of the seasonal BCF supporter giveaways! This month also marks one year since I took on the forum, so I want to say an extra huge thank you to all of you for keeping this place going. I have a little bit more to say about that later but, for now, let's get to the giveaway!     The Autumn Giveaway winner will be getting two Penguin Little Black Classics, The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe and To Be Read At Dusk by Charles Dickens. Both of these little books contain three atmospheric short stories, perfect for autumnal evenings. The winner will also get Mary Shelley tea (a lavender and vanilla black tea) from Rosie Lea Tea's Literary Tea Collection (https://www.rosieleatea.co.uk/collections/literary-tea-collection) and a chocolate skull, to really get that spooky atmosphere .   and...   A special treat for a special month. The winner will choose one of the following recent paperback releases from the independent bookshop Big Green Bookshop:       The Wych Elm by Tana French A House of Ghosts by W.C. Ryan Melmoth by Sarah Perry The Familiars by Stacey Halls  The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein by Kiersten White   The winner will be chosen via the usual random selection process in one week. Patreon supporters are entered automatically. If you aren't a patreon supporter but you'd like to join in with this giveaway, you can support here: https://www.patreon.com/bookclubforum.   I really hope you're all going to like this introduction to the seasonal giveaways. It's been a lot of fun to put together. Other chocolate skulls may have been harmed during the selection process…     
Karsa Orlong

Game of Thrones

Still haven't got around to watching season three yet but I think I'll wait until next week's episode has aired and watch them all in one go. I've read the third book so unfortunately there'll be no surprises, but I'm interested to see how things come across on screen..

Ben I was going to say you are in for a treat ....but I mean that in the goriest way, if you see what I mean :icon_eek:

Just reading some of the reactions on twitter - absolutely priceless. I remember it being one of my favourite scenes in the book so I'm glad they've got it across to screen well.

Facebook Game of Thrones page is full of it too.

Oooooo .....I don't DARE come back to this thread!! I've only read Book One and am just allowing myself to watch the first season on DVD now. There's enough shocks in the first book :icon_eek: 

Such an amazingly good book/series.

Much as I enjoy the show (and I really, REALLY do!) I'm getting a little peeved at some of the changes they're making. The uneccessary ones such as changing Jane's name and character (yes, that's Robb's queen!) leave me wondering "Why?", but others, where plot points have been changed (and bearing in mind there are still at least 2 more books to come in the series) I'm beginning to wonder if they'll be able to reconcile those changes later on? Or will they do a True Blood and veer completely away from the source material? I really hope they don't because I've gone from loving TB to hating it. :(

I have to say Kell, you were very good at not giving anything away when we were discussing it the other day. ;)

I'm guessing GRRM's had a lot of input into what is due to happen in the final books.  I'm sure I read somewhere that he'd discussed the rest of the story with Benioff and Weiss so they knew where it was going.  If I can find it again I'll post the link  :shrug:

3x09 lived up to my expectations, just about :smile:

Yeah, Benioff and Weiss definitely know where it's going to end up. I was watching a cast Q&A at Comic-Con and they couldn't answer who they thought would end up on the throne because Martin had already told them.

At least we're not spoiling, just teasing.. ;)

Enjoy! :smile2:

I know ....you're showing great restraint :D  And thank you, I'm enjoying immensely (although I'm spending quite a bit of time with my eyes tightly closed)

3x09 related stuff:

This amused me :giggle2:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/oh-shhhhhhh-i-totally-forgot-that-happens,32673/

"And even though it’s my responsibility as an author to protect the integrity of my novels at all costs, I have to admit that I personally wouldn’t have noticed if they’d completely changed the story at that point and the episode had ended happily. Hell, those books were written a long time ago; you can’t expect me to remember every last detail. Sure, I’m an executive producer on the show and they send me all the scripts on these things, but I never read them. Those things are full of spoilers."

:lol:

I have to say Kell, you were very good at not giving anything away when we were discussing it the other day. ;)

I try very hard, but I also have a lot of practice, because Dale is watching the show but hasn't read any of the books.

I'm wondering if the finale next week will have the other wedding we've come to expect, and if so, I'll REALLY be looking forward to it! :)

I had pretty much the same reaction the first time I read A Storm of Swords :lol:

I saw that on twitter last night - hilarious. :lol:

Ooh Kell, I do hope so..

I try very hard, but I also have a lot of practice, because Dale is watching the show but hasn't read any of the books.

I'm wondering if the finale next week will have the other wedding we've come to expect, and if so, I'll REALLY be looking forward to it! :)

Must not miss it...but how do the follow Monday's episode....shhhh, don't tell me...

Much as I enjoy the show (and I really, REALLY do!) I'm getting a little peeved at some of the changes they're making. The uneccessary ones such as changing Jane's name and character (yes, that's Robb's queen!) leave me wondering "Why?", but others, where plot points have been changed (and bearing in mind there are still at least 2 more books to come in the series) I'm beginning to wonder if they'll be able to reconcile those changes later on? Or will they do a True Blood and veer completely away from the source material? I really hope they don't because I've gone from loving TB to hating it. :(

I've read all the books and I've taken very little exception to the changes in the show.  I think they've been mostly reasonable.  They changed Jane's character entirely and made her a girl from Essos.  I can understand changing her name to sound more... Essosian?

Where are you from?

Volantis.

What's your name?

Jane.

Oh...

Edited by Andy

Where are you from?

Volantis.

What's your name?

Jane.

Oh...

I think most of the changes have been okay.  I don't think the detour that Robb took in the books to get married would have worked on screen cos viewers wouldn't have seen their relationship develop  :shrug:

Ah well  tis finished.....how long do we have to wait now. All set up for the next series..so many plots on the go.

Another year of waiting :(. Cant wait for some more shocked reactions next season, should be a very good 4th season!

Thought it was a bit of a dull finale (not really a surprise after last week, I suppose).  I thought Charles Dance stole the episode again, although Stephen Dillane and Liam Cunningham are giving him a good run for his money :smile:

Very dull finale. I can't help thinking they made a bit of a mistake. The finale should either have been the Red Wedding (with plenty of, "OMG! What's going to happen now???") or with Joffrey's wedding.

Personally, I would have favoured the latter with loads of death, whodunnit, suspicion, imprisonment and escape.

It would have left multiple nail-biting-worthy cliffhangers that would leave the fans gagging for the next season. After expecting an explosive finale, I can't help feeling the episode we were given was something of a damp squib.

That said, I did love the Joffrey-bashing sesion handed out by Tyrion and Tywin - "Anyone who has to state, 'I am the King' is no King at all!" Hahahahaha!

^ Err, isn't that rather spoilerish for people who haven't read the books?