Game of Thrones

Karsa Orlong

Having watched the first two eps of the new season now, I think it's a good, strong start to the season, and I'm really looking forward to see what happens!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That last episode was epic. I feel like we've been waiting since the very start to see Daenerys's dragons in action. I'm also glad they didn't breeze over it and showed how dangerous they can really be - those scenes of the burning bodies and horrible scalding were well done imo. I think the entire battle was well done - am definitely looking forward to see how Tyrion & Jaime's meeting goes. Also, I think it was worth Dany seeing that her dragons aren't infallible. Hopefully that'll slow her down a bit, she seems to be a bit too pumped on adrenaline at the moment.

Edited by Angury

Binge watched over the weekend and have now caught up - Augury I totally agree with you about the dragon scenes at the end of Episode 4, and the cliffhanger ending!  I had to go straight onto the next one to find out what happened....and Jerome Flynn owned those scenes, he must have had a ball filming them.  Looking forward to tonight's episode, we've had the fire now it's the ice's turn!

Spoiler

Shame about the Tarlys though!

I want to be the white walker who was riding that dragon! It was brilliant to finally see Baelish get his comeuppance. 

The ending though, although not unexpected but was still very dramatic. I am very happy to see Jon and Daenerys finally get it together. It will be interesting to see what happens next when they both find out who he really is. I wonder if next season will see more than 1 Queen pregnant? 

Edited by Talisman

I was both overjoyed and repulsed at the same time over the Jon/Dany bedroom scene, knowing what we know about their relationship that they don't. I was SCreaming AT THE SCREEN "Don't do it! She's your auntie!!!"

So pleased to see Littlefinger get what was coming to him, and the smug look on Arya's face when he realised what was happening and she took him down - way to go, girl! Nobody messes with the Stark sisters and gets away with it!

I totally want The Hound to take down The Mountain - a reckoning long overdue I also loved how proud the Hound looked when Brienne told him that Arya was a force to be reckoned with and needed nobody's protection - I think he feels almost paternal pride in how far she's come.

I really hope Tormund is OK - I desperately want him to make huge, fat babies with Brienne!

Loved that Sam Tarly knew more than Bran about Jon Snow though - I was all like "Stick THAT in your pipe and smoke it, so-called 3-eyed raven!" (I've never liked the character of Bran Stark, neither in the book or the show, but I love Sam!

And that dragon with its blue fire - OMGs that was spectacular! But how long can it keep flying when its wings are rotting away? They're already full of holes, and it can't be long before the poor undead creature is grounded.

Yes the look on Littlefinger's face was priceless - I was wondering where that scene was going and they put a clever twist on it.

I've never really taken much to Bran either, he's a bit wooden and all those visions got a bit tedious after a while (they did in the book as well).  Sam is nice though, a truly decent character who will hopefully be rewarded somehow.

Can't wait to see the look on Dany's face when she finds out Jon's true parentage.

I kinda like the Hound in an odd way, he's quite a softie underneath all that bravado!  And I like the grudging respect he had for Brienne.

Wonder what will happen to Jaime, I assume he'll go to Tyrion and co?

I loved the dragon scene in episode 6, when they all piled on to it's back with Dany, would love to see the green screen of that.  And the zombie/ice dragon was a great touch, terrific twist.  and they finally filmed the zombie bear - I've been waiting for that for years!

Edited by Madeleine

Spoiler

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is 'over' Bran, and I loved  how Sam told him about Jon's parentage. I don't have a huge problem with Jon and Dany being an item though. In a lot of countries, even today,(Australia being one of them) it's legal to marry a neice or nephew, so it's quite feasible that it would be allowed in the GOT setting.

I don't think I've ever watched a series that has inspired such strong feelings of hate and love for so many of the characters ...the satisfaction I've felt at the demise of some of them! Joffrey and Ramsay, Viscerys and now Littlefinger. And I live in fear of my favourites being bopped off. I'm particulary fond of Samwell, Brienne, Podrick, Tyrion and of course, Jon. I'd hate to see anything happen to the Hound, too, there's a lot of goodness in him despite his tough exterior. Feel sorry for Theon. He did some awful things, but his suffering at the hands of Ramsay was way in excess of what he deserved.

Now we have to wait another year :blush:

Edited by poppy

Yes I think it's the characters that really make this show, loads of love to hate people and some I started off hating and now like (Jaime for one).  It's nice how some characters come into their own after a while, such as Ser Davos, who's blossomed since Stannis got killed off, as well as Sam, Pod etc, who are given time to develop and grow.  I do find Sansa annoying though, and a bit whiny!  Tyrion is still the best character by a mile though.

On ‎29‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 6:22 PM, Kell said:

I really hope Tormund is OK - I desperately want him to make huge, fat babies with Brienne!

And that dragon with its blue fire - OMGs that was spectacular! But how long can it keep flying when its wings are rotting away? They're already full of holes, and it can't be long before the poor undead creature is grounded.

Oh my God, that actor is sooo sexy - it's the Icelandic accent you understand. I just love Icelandic men. In fact, I love anything Icelandic - especially their chocolate!

As for the dragon - being full of holes and rotting away doesn't seem to have stopped the rest of the white walkers, so I suspect it may keep flying for a while yet. I don't think I would take my chances though. 

On ‎29‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 8:03 PM, Madeleine said:

Wonder what will happen to Jaime, I assume he'll go to Tyrion and co?

It will certainly be interesting to see which way this one goes. Will he stay loyal to his sister especially now that she is pregnant again. Will her jealousy get the better of her and she does something to harm him, or will Jaimie end up changing sides?

As for the relationship between Jon and Dany - this sort of blood relationship may not preclude marriage and/or children. Her own parents were after all brother and sister and this was quite common in the ancient world, as is cousin marriage even today in Asian communities. Of course it does carry an increased risk of birth defects, but this being GOT anything is possible. I have to remind myself sometimes that it isn't actually real! 

Edited by Talisman

I wonder if we'll have a battle of the dragons ie the ice dragon against one of the others, as fire seems to be the only thing which could kill it.

Is Cersei really pregnant though?  She's lied to everyone about pretty much everything, so perhaps she's lying about that too?

yep being aunt and nephew probably wouldn't bother them too much!  Not sure how she'd feel about him having a full, genuine claim to the Throne though.

I was kind of disappointed with Littlefinger's death. I felt like there was a lot more to his character that we didn't really see, and he could have been used much more.

I also have a feeling we'll see Jon riding Dany's other dragon, Rhaegal, since it's now been revealed he's a Targaryaen. It'll be very interesting to see how it pans out with them all meeting the undead Viserion!

There are a couple of theories bouncing around that Jaime will be the one to kill Cersei, and the more I think about it, the more I think it will actually happen. 

Overall though, I feel like this has been the best season so far.

Also.. what was with Tyrion's look when he saw Jon go into Dany's room?!

Edited by Angury

I'm pretty certain Jamie is riding off to join the fight in the north, keeping his word. As Brienne said, "F**k loyalty!" He looked genuinely shocked and disgusted at Cercei going back on her word to support the fight against the white walkers, and I think his chivalry and honour won't allow him to stand by and follow Cersei this time. Of course, it means that Dany and Jon will be fully apprised of Cercei's treachery when he tells them he's come alone! I actually think that many of the changes for the better in his character are entirely down to the time he spent with Brienne - she is the epitome of traditional chivalric behaviour. I've also been certain for some time that the "little brother" reference in the prophecy of Cercei's death has been misplaced on Tyrion this whole time, and that Jamie will actually be her downfall. After all, he is the younger twin!

Another thing I'm certain of is that Jon/Aegon (as we now know he is!) will be riding that second dragon. Although they're aunt and nephew, the Targaryans do have a history of marriage between members of their own family, so they may well decide to stay together, especially if Dany turns out to have fallen pregnant by him after their night of steamy passion!

The look from Tyrion, I think, is worry that the pair of them having a relationship will a) be distracting for them both, b) cause extra tension and division on the battlefield (because one will always go to save the other over sticking at their post if they're in love!), and c) at the moment, Jon Snow is a "person of dubious parentage", and the Queen having him as her consort weakens her position - she needs a husband of royal, or at the very least, noble blood, to consolidate her position. Of course, when it's discovered that HE is actually the natural heir to the Iron Throne, it could cause all kinds of problems, with Dany believing it to be HER birthright and fighting for it for so long. Either way, it's going to be one hell of a hot mess!

I agree with pretty much everything you've said Kell -  I don't think Jaime feels anything but contempt for Cersei now (and remember the look he gave her at the end of series 6, when he came back and saw her sitting on the Iron throne with that smirk of triumph); despite that one recent night of passion, I think he's completely given up on her now and she lost her last chance at redemption when she said  that she lied about joining the fight against the Walkers.  I think the whole experience of losing his hand, and how Brienne helped him at the time and they formed a gradual respect for each other did genuinely start the turnaround in his character, and joining Tyrion and co is  the only option.  Not sure what Dany would think though, as he's the one who killed her father, although now she does at least seem to be able to see what her father was really like, to the point where she was worried that she'd turn out the same way.

I'm not sure if you've read the books, but there are also rumours about Gilly's baby being a possible heir, plus in book 5 there's

Spoiler

yet another Targaryen, a young boy who turns up when Jorah and Tyrion are with the slavers, but I can't remember his name!

• 2 weeks later...

If I remember correctly, the baby Gilly has with her isn't her baby at all in the books - she took away Mance Rayder's baby (as son of the King Beyond the Wall - Melissandra was going to kill the baby along with Mance, if I remember correctly). Of course, this means that Gilly's baby was probably killed in its place (poor innocent babe!). None of that was mentioned/shown in the TV show though, to my recollection.

I was glad to see Gendry make a reappearance. Although another illegitimate son of Baratheon, he is still the son of the last king, as well as his last known surviving progeny (the reason he ran and hid his identity last time was because all Robert Baratheon's illegitimate children were being slaughtered, if my memory serves). So really, it's an interesting mix we have:

Cercei - queen regent (as wife of the last king who now has now surviving legitimate children)

Gendry - illegitimate son of the last king

Dany - daughter of the deposed and murdered Targaryan king

Jon - grandson of the Targaryan King, and son of that king's eldest son and heir

Is that everyone?

All with varying degrees of rightful claim to the Iron Throne, all with a lot to gain, and just as much to lose. There's also a theory that says the Night King is also of Targaryan descent, due to his ability to ride the dead dragon, but as he is in control of all the walkers (of all races), I don't hold too much stock with that reasoning.

Yep I think that sums it up!  I don't think Gendry will have much of a claim to the throne though.  Yes you're right about Gilly's baby, I vaguely remember them rescuing him now you've mentioned it.

As you say, the Night King controls all the walkers and that would include the dragon as well, so I assume unless he turned everyone in Westeros into Walkers (which is presumably his intention) then he's got no "blood" claim on the Iron Throne.

Rumour has it that the next series might not be until 2019:(

• 1 month later...

I just watched the first episode in the first series. Don't ask me what took so long! I ended up ordering HBO on Amazon Prime. Now I can take my time and get into it. I still haven't read the series but I will. I'm trying to decide if I want to start at the beginning of this thread or not, lol!

It's brilliant isn't it? I had a ball in Croatia last month seeing many of the sites where it was filmed. I have seen most of the Icelandic and some of the Maltese ones as well. I will also be seeing some of the Spanish ones next year. I feel a visit to Northern Ireland though coming on! GOT is a really good excuse for visiting all these countries. 

• 3 months later...
On 1/11/2017 at 5:58 PM, Talisman said:

It's brilliant isn't it? I had a ball in Croatia last month seeing many of the sites where it was filmed. I have seen most of the Icelandic and some of the Maltese ones as well. I will also be seeing some of the Spanish ones next year. I feel a visit to Northern Ireland though coming on! GOT is a really good excuse for visiting all these countries. 

I've only done a GOT tour in Northern Ireland (never gone to the other counties) and it was simply great! We even got to dress up with cloaks and longswords.

Sounds good to me. I am off to Spain at the weekend to see some of the sites there - there are various ones all around the three cities in Andalucia I shall be visiting including the long bridge of Volantis and the water gardens of Dorne. It should be good although the weather looks a bit hit and miss.