Game of Thrones

Karsa Orlong

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tonight will be the big battle but I don't believe we will really know the victor until next week. actually, I would be ok with quite a few being the eventual ruler. Just not Cersei or Jamie.

4 hours ago, poppy said:

Well after that, I'm pretty sure I know who it's NOT going to be 😄

I wasn't expecting that. Daenerys has to die after the cruelty that she caused. No way she will be the Ruler.

wow I wasn't expecting that either, what an episode, puts the battle of Winterfell in a corner that's for sure.  I agree about Dany, she's as bad as Cersei, and keeps doing what she's always done which is ignore all her advisers' advice!  Which is the main reason why I've never liked her. 

Spoiler

Is the Iron Throne even still standing? Glad to see Euron getting his come-uppance though, and again Arya stood out.

Quite a lot of fans are annoyed about Jaime abandoning Brienne and returning to Cersei (as it's 'not in his character') and Cersei's death (I think they wanted something a bit more horrific for her).

I actually really liked the fact that Jaime returned to Cersei. I feel like having him 'go to the good side' and completely change his path is so.. cliche? Cersei is one of my favourite characters in GoT; I think she is very complex and clever to have lived so long as a woman in that world.

Arya though.. I feel she's too easy to like..

At first I thought Jaime returning to Cersei was a bit of a copout, but then I don't think a happy ever after was ever on the cards for him, either way!  and I've long suspected that Jaime and Cersei would die together. I think the only way Cersei has lasted so long is because she had anyone who disagreed with her killed, or terrified them into submission!  Dany seems to be going the same way, getting Drogon to fry anyone who won't swear for her ( eg  the Tarlys in series 7).

Edited by Madeleine

I am glad that Jaime and Cersei are finally gone. Both deserved to depart. :)

Actually, I liked Daenerys until the last episode. As for Arya, she has worked her way through good and bad in all the episodes. She deserves any good fortune that comes to her. Sansa has changed quite a bit through time. At this point I think she is a good person. 

Shall good be victorius or shall bad. Tonight we shall find out.

I hope they get rid of Dany, especially after last week, looks like she is her father's daughter after all (and is doing the Cersei thing of killing everyone who's in her way).  who knows who will sit on the Throne (if they can find it under all the rubble!), as of course there are still a few Starks left.

I thought the finale was magical. It tied together loose ends without making things appear dramatic; despite the end of the series it felt like the characters lives were just beginning.

Lovely music, beautiful scenery and some nostalgia from the first series.

Overall I was happy with how things ended for everyone. A couple of things didn't feel quite right to me. I felt the Unsullied and the Dothraki ...

Spoiler

wouldn't have accepted Daenerys death as calmly as they did. I expected all hell to break loose and for Jon to be immediately killed (although the only way they would know he'd killed her was for him to admit it.)

I also felt it a little irresolute of Jon to

Spoiler

still claim loyalty to Daenerys after her terrible destruction and only change his mind after Tyrion convinced him to. It seemed so obvious at that stage that Daenerys was power mad and would make a terrible queen.

This whole final series felt like it could have had so much more detail and there were a lot of characters we didn't see until the final episode, and then only very sketchily. Their stories could have been woven in like they were in the earlier series. But I think that's down to the fact that George RR Martin is such an extraordinarily good story writer whilst the the HBO writers just aren't up to his standard.

I just read HBO are going to make a prequel.

Edited by poppy

I thought it ended pretty well too, most of the characters got an ending (whether they lived or died!) and I did find it quite touching, sort of coming full circle

Spoiler

with Jon returning to Castle Black.  It was touching seeing him reunited with Ghost!

I alsoI thought that the Dothraki accepted

Spoiler

Dany's death too readily

and wondered if there might have been one final skirmish - there seemed to be a big gap between that scene and the next, where the Starks and co suddenly turned up at Kings Landing for Tyrion's trial - I thought I'd accidentally hit the fast forward button at first, until Tyrion said something about thinking about things for a few weeks, but apart from that it felt like there was a scene missing. 

Muggle Not got it right about who would be Queen, though I'm not sure about the choice for King.  And I liked the scene at Winterfell, with the new "team" already squabbling, and the scene with Brienne and the book was nicely done too.  It was touching without being too mawkish, and yes I think everyone got what they deserved.  I'm so glad that

Spoiler

Tyrion survived.

I will miss those fabulous opening titles and gorgeous music, one thing it never did was let the music crash the dialogue (like most series do these days), in fact sometimes there was hardly any music at all in big scenes. 

I also thought it was a nice touch having

Spoiler

Drogon destroy the Iron Throne

Edited by Madeleine

Just been reading about the prequel, it will tell the story of how the Night King became the Night King, and how Winterfell and the Wall were built, and  the background of the family who would eventually become the Lannisters.  It's already being filmed, no title as yet, possibly screening round about this time next year.

19 hours ago, Madeleine said:

I thought it ended pretty well too, most of the characters got an ending (whether they lived or died!) and I did find it quite touching, sort of coming full circle

Hide contents

with Jon returning to Castle Black.  It was touching seeing him reunited with Ghost!

I alsoI thought that the Dothraki accepted

Hide contents

Dany's death too readily

and wondered if there might have been one final skirmish - there seemed to be a big gap between that scene and the next, where the Starks and co suddenly turned up at Kings Landing for Tyrion's trial - I thought I'd accidentally hit the fast forward button at first, until Tyrion said something about thinking about things for a few weeks, but apart from that it felt like there was a scene missing. 

Muggle Not got it right about who would be Queen, though I'm not sure about the choice for King.  And I liked the scene at Winterfell, with the new "team" already squabbling, and the scene with Brienne and the book was nicely done too.  It was touching without being too mawkish, and yes I think everyone got what they deserved.  I'm so glad that

Hide contents

Tyrion survived.

I will miss those fabulous opening titles and gorgeous music, one thing it never did was let the music crash the dialogue (like most series do these days), in fact sometimes there was hardly any music at all in big scenes. 

I also thought it was a nice touch having

Hide contents

Drogon destroy the Iron Throne

Agree with everything you say here, Madeleine.

Spoiler

I loved that Tyrion was made hand and I think Jon will be happy with the Wildlings (although there is really no reason to protect the wall anymore with the Whitewalkers gone and the Wildlings at peace). There were some really nice touches, as you say, with Ghost and Jon back together, Drogon melting the Iron throne, but not Jon and the final scene with Bronn, Sam, Tyrion and the rest squabbling away

:lol:

I wonder if any of the cast will be in the prequel? Looking forward to it and also very much looking forward to reading George R R Martin's last two books if and when they finally get published! Will be be very interesting to see how much the books differ from the series ending.

Edited by poppy

None of the original cast are in the prequel, except for the Night King, as apparently they will cover his back story, also the building of The Wall and Winterfell, and the start of the feud between the Starks and Lannisters.  Confirmed so far according to IMDB are Miranda Richardson, Naomi Watts, John Simm and Jamie Campbell Bower (from the Mortal Instruments film), no named roles so far although they have started filming, presumably with the same crew.

Yes it will be interesting to see how the books differ, although the writers have said that they followed GRRM's "vision".

All In All it was one of the greatest TV series I believe. I don't recall a series that had so many different characters and all interesting in their own right. Do you remember the woman that Jon Snow was in love with.....You know nothing Jon Snow. :) I really liked her.

5 hours ago, muggle not said:

All In All it was one of the greatest TV series I believe. I don't recall a series that had so many different characters and all interesting in their own right. Do you remember the woman that Jon Snow was in love with.....You know nothing Jon Snow. :) I really liked her.

I agree, Muggle. Don't think I've ever followed a series quite so passionately before, despite not usually watching such graphically violent films.

Did you know Jon (Kit Harrington) has married Ygritte (Rose Leslie) in real life? :wub:

11 hours ago, muggle not said:

Same here, I've been obsessed by shows before (the original X Files was probably the last one) and normally I wouldn't watch anything this graphic either, but it somehow got me, the characters I think, and the epic sweep, and the fact that a few years ago nothing like  this would have been possible on TV.

11 hours ago, poppy said:

I agree, Muggle. Don't think I've ever followed a series quite so passionately before, despite not usually watching such graphically violent films.

Did you know Jon (Kit Harrington) has married Ygritte (Rose Leslie) in real life? :wub:

I did not know that. 

Ygritte was then wrong when she told Jon Snow "You know nothing Jon Snow".

He knew enough to marry Ygritte. :)

I do wonder what happened to Daario though, the mercenary who was one of Dany's lovers/advisers?  Last seen left behind in Meereen, I'd have thought he'd have come with the Unsullied to help at Winterfell and then Kings Landing.  And the strange young man who turned up with the Starks turned out to be Robin, the son of Lisa Arryn - I was wondering what happened to him as well!

On ‎24‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 9:07 PM, Madeleine said:

I do wonder what happened to Daario though, the mercenary who was one of Dany's lovers/advisers?  Last seen left behind in Meereen, I'd have thought he'd have come with the Unsullied to help at Winterfell and then Kings Landing.  And the strange young man who turned up with the Starks turned out to be Robin, the son of Lisa Arryn - I was wondering what happened to him as well!

You're not the only one left wondering about several characters. Hopefully the books will tie all the loose ends together.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/tv-radio/112892333/some-questions-the-game-of-thrones-finale-left-unanswered

I don't know if any of you have been watching the 2 hr episode showing the actors during the making of the show. All the actors were around a table for the last episode when they were informed that Jon snow was to kill Daenrys in the last show.. Jon Snow broke down in tears and then Daenrys also.

The stress on some of the actors / actresses was high knowing that the show was ending.  Jon snow is in rehab in the U.S. He had a hard time dealing with it (among other things).

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebrity/kit-harington-checked-into-treatment-center-for-wife-rose-leslie/ar-AAC5Q90?ocid=spartandhp

I recommend viewing the 2 hr  episode showing the filming of the series.

Edited by muggle not