Game of Thrones

Karsa Orlong

The ending was NOT how I imagined it. It is way way way cooler in my head. More fire. Dany more powerful. Dragons more nipple-bitey.

This thread has of course been quiet due to my continued absence ;) . I'm on really terrible internet right now. Come next Friday, tho, I'll be home for the summer and back on super speed! And once I am I'll upload the pic of yours truly and George R.R. Martin.

Yes, I trekked 9 hours thru eastern europe to see him. and it was great. He signed my book: "To Jenny. Winter is coming. George RR Martin". Ill show you all. Not surprisingly, he is a really funny witty guy. He admitted his favourite characters. Want me to share? Unless you all knew already. Also, he really thinks his books are good. Nice one with the self-confidence, George. If I wrote like you I'd be cocky, too.

I also got my brother a signed copy of the first book, cause he's lost his. Am I not the world's best little sister? :D

ps. I'm rambling. I miss this place. SUMMER<3

Edited by Hyzenthlay

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ending was NOT how I imagined it. It is way way way cooler in my head. More fire. Dany more powerful. Dragons more nipple-bitey.

Fussy :P:wink:

Edit: Re-reading the end of the book (which I just have :lol: ), I'm quite relieved they removed the nipple-biting :lol:

Edit: I also think that, for people who hadn't read the books, the sound of the eggs cracking and Dany calling to 'her children' would have detracted from the first sight of the dragons. I do get what you're saying, it just totally worked for me as it is. It actually made me punch the air :lol::blush:

Edited by Karsa Orlong

Haha, punch the air. Somehow I get the feeling you are a tremendously big dork. :P

I know I'm being fussy, but now I'll have all of ten months before I get the chance to fuss again. And Dany looked fantastic, I have to say. I watched it with two guys, and their expressions said more than words really..... tssssk

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Um, yeah, I started watching Game of Thrones last night and have just finished Season 1. I absolutely loved it and couldn't drag myself away from my screen. Having not read the books I can't comment on how faithful the characters are to Martin's novels, but I thought there was good acting throughout. My favourite characters were Tyrion, Syrio and Arya, all of which I hope I see more of in Season 2.

I know what I'll be watching in the next few days. :D

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Incidentally, I've been watching I, Claudius on BBC4 (they started showing it a few weeks ago) and there are a lot of parallels between Tyrion and Claudius. 

If Martin didn't read the book or see the series before writing GoT, it's one hell of a coincidence!

Oh, he's seen it :lol:  I remember reading an interview where he was asked if he was nervous about the HBO series because of the way Rome got cancelled, and he mentioned I, Claudius then.

I think the publishers in the UK (anywhere else?) caused confusion by splitting the third book, A Storm of Swords, into two parts for its paperback release (called 'Steel & Snow' and 'Blood & Gold'). Officially, the fifth book, A Dance With Dragons, is out in a couple of weeks time, but if you're in the UK it's effectively the sixth book :doh:

You can get A Storm of Swords in one volume on the Kindle, though, for £8.99, or you can get all of them excluding A Dance With Dragons for £19.99.

Edit: The Kindle versions don't include the maps, though.

I will start the 3rd book, A Storm of Swords, tonight. It may take me a little longer to read than the first two as I am also reading Water For Elephants. I got all 3 RR Martin books free by downloading from the library. I believe most people should take more advantage of libraries. The cost is hard to beat. :)

• 1 month later...

That's brilliant. :haha:

I absolutely loved the first two series' of GoT, but because of assignments and exams I've not got around to the latest yet. Thankfully that means I've got a seven-episde marathon in front of me. Can't wait.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm reading the first book atm and have seen season one of the TV series. So far, the book provides some more details, though many scenes are kept largely the same. I don't like the addition of violence and nudity, so far in the book this is less the case. I think they added it for spectacle (and then ran out of budget near the end of the season). Still, I look forward to watch the season two Blu-ray and when season three is out on Blu-ray, I'll buy that too (or be given it for a birthday if it's close to that etc). One of the main commercial TV channels here only showed season one (RTL4) and never got around to showing the second season. What doesn't help maybe is that HBO showed season two, however I believe (?) it's a channel not everyone can even receive (if paid for of course).

Just watched tonights episode...I haven't read the books but hubby and Kenny have and obviously knew what was coming all I can say is........

OMG......Noooooooooo......why!!!!!!!

Edited by Inver