Has anyone read...?

VanessaL

Has anyone read Slammerkin by Emma Donoghue? I'm trying to get into it, but I'm finding it so similar in concept to The Crimson Petal and the White that it's making it difficult since that was only two books ago from me. That was such a long read and something I loved so much that I invested myself in it anytime I had a free moment, so Slammerkin is feeling like an extension of that and it's mentally exhausting going back to that place so soon. ;) Anyone read it and can either confirm or deny my concerns of similarity between the two books?

Yes, I've read it and I loved it. It has a similar theme to Crimson Petal but is very different and is written in a very different way to that. Also, it's not as long or labourious as The Crimson Petal. Go for it, I say! You'll be rewarded. It's a gem. After reading it, I bought Emma Donoghue's Life Mask and didn't like it at all. I will read Slammerkin again though.

Has anyone read The Novel in the Viola by Natasha Solomons? I've just given up with Gillespie and I as I really can't engage with it and I'm after a book to really grab me. Is this the one? I was spoilt with The Unseen by Katherine Webb and The Distant Hours by Kate Morton recently and nothing is matching up to those.

Edited by Mrs Roo

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anybody read Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma ?

I'm about to make a start on it.

It's a YA book & although it sounds gross (it's about a brother & sister who fall in love with one another) the reviews suggest it's an emotional story with a sad ending.

Can't wait to get stuck in.

The Novel in the Viola is a lovely read, very easy to get into yet compelling too, much better than The Distant Hours in my opinion...

The Novel in the Viola was one of the best reads this year for me. I loved it because it had traces of Daphne du Maurier in the descriptions and she is one of my favourite writers.

Has anyone read You coming with me lad by Mike Pannett but they a first book do you have to read them in order?

I have this in my bookcase in the to be read shelf, I am looking forward to starting it, but its not next on my list as there are a few others ahead of that one which I want to read first.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just on LibraryThing and I stumbled upon Heathcliff: Vampire of Wuthering Heights by Amanda Paris. I'm not so prudish to yell blasphemy because it could be fun if it's done pretty well. I could definitely image Heathcliff as a vamprire. Has anyone read or heard anything about it?

I have read Mills and Boon books, they are all the same, the men are all rich, and the women are poor, which would never really happen in real life, all got the same happy endings. I had about 30 or even more in my bookcase never read them, just took them a few weeks ago before we moved to the charity shop.

I bought a hardback book from Poundland today Martina Cole 'The Take', wonder if anyone has read this book and if it is worth reading, it sounds quite good.

I have read a few of Martina Cole books including'The Take', they are exellent books when you have not read any of her work before, but can get a bit repedative from book to book.

I have just finished Gypsy Boy on the Run – Mikey Walsh and now realise that this is actually his second book. Has anyone read both of them ? Are they very similar ? I can imagine that they cover a lot of the same ground and don't know that I really want to read the first one but if someone was to highly recommend it then I probably would.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yes, I have read a few books by Susan Howatch. If I remember rightly, the ones I have read are Penmarric, Cashelmara, The Rich Are Different, Sins of the Fathers, and The Wheel of Fortune. They were all quite long, but I found them a very good read.

I think I also read some of her later books, which were series with a religious side to them; I didn't enjoy those quite as much.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone read or heard anything about The Fault in Our Stars by John Green? It is a young adult novel about two teenagers who meet at a cancer support group. I believe it was just released here in the US this month and there is some buzz about it in Entertainment Weekly magazine already.

I'm considering buying The Woman in Black for my Nook...is it worth the purchase..?

I enjoyed it a lot, Sofia. Bear in mind it is very short (200-ish pages, I think). I got it cheap and don't think I would have paid full price for it, so you might want to wait until the price is reduced :smile:

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone read Mrs Robinson's Disgrace: The Private Diary of a Victorian Lady, by Kate Summerscale, the author who also wrote The Suspicions of Mr Whicher?

Edit: Oh never mind, it's being published later this year... :D

Edited by frankie