• Announcements

• Hayley

Something Wicked This Way Comes...   10/09/2019

The Autumn Supporter Giveaway!       Welcome to the very first of the seasonal BCF supporter giveaways! This month also marks one year since I took on the forum, so I want to say an extra huge thank you to all of you for keeping this place going. I have a little bit more to say about that later but, for now, let's get to the giveaway!     The Autumn Giveaway winner will be getting two Penguin Little Black Classics, The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe and To Be Read At Dusk by Charles Dickens. Both of these little books contain three atmospheric short stories, perfect for autumnal evenings. The winner will also get Mary Shelley tea (a lavender and vanilla black tea) from Rosie Lea Tea's Literary Tea Collection (https://www.rosieleatea.co.uk/collections/literary-tea-collection) and a chocolate skull, to really get that spooky atmosphere .   and...   A special treat for a special month. The winner will choose one of the following recent paperback releases from the independent bookshop Big Green Bookshop:       The Wych Elm by Tana French A House of Ghosts by W.C. Ryan Melmoth by Sarah Perry The Familiars by Stacey Halls  The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein by Kiersten White   The winner will be chosen via the usual random selection process in one week. Patreon supporters are entered automatically. If you aren't a patreon supporter but you'd like to join in with this giveaway, you can support here: https://www.patreon.com/bookclubforum.   I really hope you're all going to like this introduction to the seasonal giveaways. It's been a lot of fun to put together. Other chocolate skulls may have been harmed during the selection process…     
VanessaL

Has anyone read...?

Has anyone read anything by Albert Camus? I saw a quote of his the other day, outside a church of all places and thought I might get it in a print to put on a wall, but the wording varies and I'd want to get it spot on. Google isn't being particularly helpful so I was wondering if anyone has the book it is from.. Maybe The Stranger or Return to Tipassa? It is along the lines of:

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.

Sometimes it says midst of winter...

With Camus you'd be reading a translated work in any case, so however the line is worded will always depend upon the individual translator.   :)  Hmm, I wonder how many different translations of his works there are?

The Goodreads site offers the quote as you state it above (although they don't say which work it's from).  It's a great line, I like it!

Edited by Onion Budgie

With Camus you'd be reading a translated work in any case, so however the line is worded will always depend upon the individual translator. :) Hmm, I wonder how many different translations of his works there are?

The Goodreads site offers the quote as you state it above (although they don't say which work it's from). It's a great line, I like it!

It's great, isn't it?! Maybe I should just choose the one I like the most, there are lots on Etsy. I'm not sure which translation would be the best but as I only speak English I suppose that's irrelevant! :D

Has anyone read anything by Albert Camus? I saw a quote of his the other day, outside a church of all places and thought I might get it in a print to put on a wall, but the wording varies and I'd want to get it spot on. Google isn't being particularly helpful so I was wondering if anyone has the book it is from.. Maybe The Stranger or Return to Tipassa? It is along the lines of:

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.

Sometimes it says midst of winter...

I read some of his works a few years ago but in English. I read that quote very often in one way or another but its meaning does not change regardless of the translation. If you want to start reading him, I'd say go for The Plague first. It's more accessible and might not bore you like The Stranger might. I also read The Myth of Sisyphus and some essays but I would not recommend anyone to jump directly into them. 

His philosophy isn't exactly cheerful but definitely worth reading. 

Has anyone read The Fountainhead or Anthem by Ayn Rand? I've read Atlas Shrugged and wanted to read more before I've read some very bad reviews... I would be very happy about some recommendations :). Thank you!

Has anyone read The Fountainhead or Anthem by Ayn Rand? I've read Atlas Shrugged and wanted to read more before I've read some very bad reviews... I would be very happy about some recommendations :). Thank you!

I believe at least Kylie, AnnaBegins and Peacefield have read Ayn Rand's books but I can't remember which ones. I guess they just haven't noticed your post in this thread! Maybe you could ask them directly :) I'm sure they'd be happy to help! 

Has anyone read Lesley Pearce 'Charity' I have started reading this book, never read such a heartbreaking book, this afternoon I was in tears, when I was reading she gave her baby up for adoption, that is only part of the story.

I wondered if anyone else has read this book, first of Lesley Pearce books I have read, got another two to read Camelia and Ellie

Hi Vanessa.

I am a huge fan of Lesley Pearse and have read every one of her books.

Charlie and Tara are 2 of my favourites. Belle, The Promise and Survivor are a series of 3 books. All very good.

Her new book Dead to Me is amazing.

I started my mum on these books too and buy her every new book that comes out, also her older ones. She's loves them.

Enjoy.

Jo

Has anyone read the Hannibal Lecter books by Robert Harris.  I thought it would make sense to read them in chronological order, but I started reading Red Dragon last night and it seems that I should have read Hannibal first.  I may be wrong, but it really reads like the second in the series and has a lot of references to Lecter which make it confusing, even though Red Dragon was written 7 years before Hannibal.

I've read Red Dragon, The Silence of the lambs and Hannibal. Are there more after that? I seem to remember feeling the same way with Red Dragon. It's almost as if the author has a previous, unpublished novel in mind when he was writing this. Both Red Dragon and  SOTL are excellent in my opinion, but I felt that Hannibal, having come out after the film, read like a film script rather than a novel, with Lector veering from a frightening, but somehow tasteful psychopath, to  a virtual parody of his character . I was disappointed personally.

I thought Red Dragon was the first one? I've only read Hannibal and thought that was pretty trashy, so haven't bothered with the others.

Thanks Ian and Madeleine.  It really does read as if there should be another before it.  I'll finish it and then decide if I'm going to read the others.  I watched the TV programme a few years ago, so I keep picturing the actors off that.  I haven't seen the movie, I was 8 or 9 when it came out.

Thanks for that Michelle.  I've just about finished Red Dragon and am in two minds whether to read Hannibal.  I can't decide at this point if I liked Red Dragon or not. 

Has anyone read The Chilbury Ladies' Choir by Jennifer Ryan?

Not overly impressed so far.

Edited by poppy

Hi

Alexander McCall-Smith - No.1 Ladies Detective Agency books? 

This author and his books are guaranteed to cheer the reader up, they bring sunshine into the dullest day. 

I wondered if anyone is a fan like me? 

I read the first few, and they were good escapism, but after a while I found them a bit repetitive so haven't read any more.

Oh i can quite understand. I jjust like reading one now and then for pure escapism to a sunnier place.