Has anyone read...?

VanessaL

Has anyone read anything by Albert Camus? I saw a quote of his the other day, outside a church of all places and thought I might get it in a print to put on a wall, but the wording varies and I'd want to get it spot on. Google isn't being particularly helpful so I was wondering if anyone has the book it is from.. Maybe The Stranger or Return to Tipassa? It is along the lines of:

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.

Sometimes it says midst of winter...

With Camus you'd be reading a translated work in any case, so however the line is worded will always depend upon the individual translator.   :)  Hmm, I wonder how many different translations of his works there are?

The Goodreads site offers the quote as you state it above (although they don't say which work it's from).  It's a great line, I like it!

Edited by Onion Budgie

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With Camus you'd be reading a translated work in any case, so however the line is worded will always depend upon the individual translator. :) Hmm, I wonder how many different translations of his works there are?

The Goodreads site offers the quote as you state it above (although they don't say which work it's from). It's a great line, I like it!

It's great, isn't it?! Maybe I should just choose the one I like the most, there are lots on Etsy. I'm not sure which translation would be the best but as I only speak English I suppose that's irrelevant! :D

• 1 month later...

Has anyone read anything by Albert Camus? I saw a quote of his the other day, outside a church of all places and thought I might get it in a print to put on a wall, but the wording varies and I'd want to get it spot on. Google isn't being particularly helpful so I was wondering if anyone has the book it is from.. Maybe The Stranger or Return to Tipassa? It is along the lines of:

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.

Sometimes it says midst of winter...

I read some of his works a few years ago but in English. I read that quote very often in one way or another but its meaning does not change regardless of the translation. If you want to start reading him, I'd say go for The Plague first. It's more accessible and might not bore you like The Stranger might. I also read The Myth of Sisyphus and some essays but I would not recommend anyone to jump directly into them. 

His philosophy isn't exactly cheerful but definitely worth reading. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone read The Fountainhead or Anthem by Ayn Rand? I've read Atlas Shrugged and wanted to read more before I've read some very bad reviews... I would be very happy about some recommendations :). Thank you!

I believe at least Kylie, AnnaBegins and Peacefield have read Ayn Rand's books but I can't remember which ones. I guess they just haven't noticed your post in this thread! Maybe you could ask them directly :) I'm sure they'd be happy to help! 

• 3 months later...

Has anyone read Lesley Pearce 'Charity' I have started reading this book, never read such a heartbreaking book, this afternoon I was in tears, when I was reading she gave her baby up for adoption, that is only part of the story.

I wondered if anyone else has read this book, first of Lesley Pearce books I have read, got another two to read Camelia and Ellie

Hi Vanessa.

I am a huge fan of Lesley Pearse and have read every one of her books.

Charlie and Tara are 2 of my favourites. Belle, The Promise and Survivor are a series of 3 books. All very good.

Her new book Dead to Me is amazing.

I started my mum on these books too and buy her every new book that comes out, also her older ones. She's loves them.

Enjoy.

Jo

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Has anyone read the Hannibal Lecter books by Robert Harris.  I thought it would make sense to read them in chronological order, but I started reading Red Dragon last night and it seems that I should have read Hannibal first.  I may be wrong, but it really reads like the second in the series and has a lot of references to Lecter which make it confusing, even though Red Dragon was written 7 years before Hannibal.

I've read Red Dragon, The Silence of the lambs and Hannibal. Are there more after that? I seem to remember feeling the same way with Red Dragon. It's almost as if the author has a previous, unpublished novel in mind when he was writing this. Both Red Dragon and  SOTL are excellent in my opinion, but I felt that Hannibal, having come out after the film, read like a film script rather than a novel, with Lector veering from a frightening, but somehow tasteful psychopath, to  a virtual parody of his character . I was disappointed personally.

Thanks Ian and Madeleine.  It really does read as if there should be another before it.  I'll finish it and then decide if I'm going to read the others.  I watched the TV programme a few years ago, so I keep picturing the actors off that.  I haven't seen the movie, I was 8 or 9 when it came out.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Has anyone read A Gentleman In Moscow by Amor Towles. I read the book and thought it was very, very, good. one of my favorite reads in the past 3 or 4 years. From Amazon:

n 1922, Count Alexander Rostov is deemed an unrepentant aristocrat by a Bolshevik tribunal, and is sentenced to house arrest in the Metropol, a grand hotel across the street from the Kremlin. Rostov, an indomitable man of erudition and wit, has never worked a day in his life, and must now live in an attic room while some of the most tumultuous decades in Russian history are unfolding outside the hotel’s doors. Unexpectedly, his reduced circumstances provide him entry into a much larger world of emotional discovery.

Brimming with humor, a glittering cast of characters, and one beautifully rendered scene after another, this singular novel casts a spell as it relates the count’s endeavor to gain a deeper understanding of what it means to be a man of purpose.

20 minutes ago, muggle not said:

Has anyone read A Gentleman In Moscow by Amor Towles.

I have it on the bookcase next to me right now and I've been meaning to pick it up and read it but always choose something else. I shall push it up the list and probably read it next due to your glowing comments about it. I read one of his other books, Rules of Civility, in 2019  and loved his writing style.

Rules of Civility by Amor Towles (3/5)

One of reviews on Goodreads from a member of BCF, Kell, remarks that "there is something quite pleasant about just sitting back and enjoying the ride as you glide from the first page to the last" and I don't think I can sum it up better than that. Not a huge amount happens by way of plot but you find yourself going along for the ride. All the of characters are strong, I found myself being drawn to all of them even if I didn't always understand their actions. Despite all this, it's not what Towles writes that will stay with me, it's how he writes. He's got that quality that I can't put my finger on but is just....pleasant I guess. I don't know how to describe it, it's just really good. I have another one of his books and I can see myself reading in very soon.

8 hours ago, Brian. said:

I have it on the bookcase next to me right now and I've been meaning to pick it up and read it but always choose something else. I shall push it up the list and probably read it next due to your glowing comments about it. I read one of his other books, Rules of Civility, in 2019  and loved his writing style.

Good review by Kell. i miss some of the oldtimers. :) 

I shall put that book on my TBR list. Don't know why I didm't think about it since I loved  "A Gentleman In Moscow" so well.

Edit: The book was available in the library so I just now downloaded it to my kindle,

Edited by muggle not

I just discovered,  buried deep in my unread collection on my Kobo,  Eve In Hollywood, a novella sized series of short stories about Eve from the Rules of Civility. It's utterly charming and well worth getting hold of if you can. According to Goodreads he withdrew it in 2016 so he could expand the stories into a novel but apparently it is still available legally on some sites. All I know is that I must have downloaded it from Kobo sometime in 2018/19.

On 2/18/2021 at 5:22 AM, France said:

I just discovered,  buried deep in my unread collection on my Kobo,  Eve In Hollywood, a novella sized series of short stories about Eve from the Rules of Civility. It's utterly charming and well worth getting hold of if you can. According to Goodreads he withdrew it in 2016 so he could expand the stories into a novel but apparently it is still available legally on some sites. All I know is that I must have downloaded it from Kobo sometime in 2018/19.

I have checked a number of places and cannot find those books, unfortunately. 

• 7 months later...

Has anyone read The Green Rider (Fantasy) Series by Kristen Britain? I read a review in the newspaper on her latest book in the series and it looks interesting.

I just checked our library and all 6 of the books are available for download. Library doesn't have book 7 yet.

Edited by muggle not

On 9/22/2021 at 8:41 PM, muggle not said:

Has anyone read The Green Rider (Fantasy) Series by Kristen Britain? I read a review in the newspaper on her latest book in the series and it looks interesting.

I just checked our library and all 6 of the books are available for download. Library doesn't have book 7 yet.

I've read the first three or four then the series slipped off my radar slightly. The first one is really good, so are the next two then from what I remember the fourth was a bit too long. Well worth trying, two of my daughters enjoyed the books too (the third doesn't like fantasy).