Has anyone read...?

VanessaL

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Has anybody read The Distant Hours by Kate Morton? I got it on sale in The Works as a bit of a random buy when I was ordering another book, I've never read anything by the author before but I'm sure I heard somewhere that it's meant to be good?

I read it, and enjoyed it quite a bit. The Secret Keeper is her best though

• 3 weeks later...

I find Baxter's a bit hit and miss.  Voyage, an alternate history novel about the first manned mission to Mars, is one of my favourite books, but none of his others I've read so far have lived up to it.

The book ive got is called Proxima. I havent really read much sci-fi so i havent got much to go on but i am looking forward to it as i love things to do with space & the universe!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Has anyone read any of the Melrose Series by Edward St Aubyn ? I'd never heard of him till i watched The Culture Show & although his books sound like they could be difficult/disturbing reads i'm curious about them so just interested to know if anyone else has come across them.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone read The Black Echo by Michael Connolly? It's book 1 of the Harry Bosch series and it looks So0o0o Good. I'm not the biggest crime/mystery fan but I've always believed that if a book is good enough, any avid reader will love it, no matter the genre. And that's how I am in regards to any and all fiction. Plus it reminds me of the Lincoln Rhyme series and I loved that.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone read the Nicholas Flames series by Michael Scott?
Most of the books scored really well on Goodreads, but the comments are love or hate. I'm tempted to buy the first book since it's on a 25% sale in Italy, but I'm a bit afraid it might be too childish and with too much unerdeveloped charachters... suggesions, anyone? :P

• 11 months later...

Hmmm, this seems to be an old thread, but I'll try to get a response. :smile:

Has anyone read The Enchanted by Rene Denfield? I'm picking up a few books this week, and I am considering this one. The synopsis looks very interesting:

"This is an enchanted place. Others don't see it, but I do."

The enchanted place is an ancient stone prison, viewed through the eyes of a death row inmate who finds escape in his books and in re-imagining life around him, weaving a fantastical story of the people he observes and the world he inhabits. Fearful and reclusive, he senses what others cannot. Though bars confine him every minute of every day, he marries magical visions of golden horses running beneath the prison, heat flowing like molten metal from their backs, with the devastating violence of prison life.

Two outsiders venture here: a fallen priest, and the Lady, an investigator who searches for buried information from prisoners' pasts that can save those soon-to-be-executed. Digging into the background of a killer named York, she uncovers wrenching truths that challenge familiar notions of victim and criminal, innocence and guilt, honor and corruption-ultimately revealing shocking secrets of her own.

Beautiful and transcendent, The Enchanted reminds us of how our humanity connects us all, and how beauty and love exist even amidst the most nightmarish reality.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Has anybody read Mario Puzo, The Godfather? I've seen the film a couple of times and just started reading the book, it's brilliant!

I'm a bit of a Mafia fan, and saw De Niro, Al Pacino & Joe Pesci were teaming up once again to do a film called 'The Irishman' which is based on a book called 'I Heard you Paint Houses' by Charles Brandt. Has anybody read this one yet either? It's on my list!

Has anybody read Mario Puzo, The Godfather? I've seen the film a couple of times and just started reading the book, it's brilliant!

I'm a bit of a Mafia fan, and saw De Niro, Al Pacino & Joe Pesci were teaming up once again to do a film called 'The Irishman' which is based on a book called 'I Heard you Paint Houses' by Charles Brandt. Has anybody read this one yet either? It's on my list!

I read The Godfather last year, and I agree it is a very good read. Hope you enjoy the rest of it!

I read The Godfather last year, and I agree it is a very good read. Hope you enjoy the rest of it!

Yeah I read it when I was a teenager, before I ever saw the film, and thought it was superb. :)

• 3 months later...

Hello Janet, I think any of Kate Atkinson's novels are so witty and well written that it would be fine to read 'Started early, took the dog' as a stand alone novel, but I would encourage you to read all of her novels.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone read anything by Albert Camus? I saw a quote of his the other day, outside a church of all places and thought I might get it in a print to put on a wall, but the wording varies and I'd want to get it spot on. Google isn't being particularly helpful so I was wondering if anyone has the book it is from.. Maybe The Stranger or Return to Tipassa? It is along the lines of:

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.

Sometimes it says midst of winter...