Has anyone read...?

VanessaL

Just seen this whilst looking for something else.

I started reading his George Smiley books last year, and have read Call for the Dead and A Murder of Quality so far (I'm planning to read The Spy Who Came in From the Cold shortly).

I can recommend both of the books I have read so far.

Thanks Raven. I may well have look at the George Smiley books. I downloaded a sample of The Russia House and can't say it moved me to want to buy it - yet. But I might look for it in the library one of these days.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved When God was a Rabbit, I read it just before it was released. My boyfriend however found it depressing. My review is here

I was just coming to this thread to ask about this book! I'm reading it at the moment and thoroughly enjoying it. And the cover is beautiful! I'll go read your review now.

Also has anybody read Selina Penaluna by Jan Page? I hadn't much interest but it's got good reviews on Amazon. I got it as the 'free' book in a buy 1get 1 free.

I loved When God was a Rabbit, I read it just before it was released. My boyfriend however found it depressing. My review is here

Thanks Lucybird , I read your review & I'm looking forward to reading the book. Hope I don't find it depressing like your boyfriend as it was a present so I'd feel kind of guilty if I didn't like it :)

I was just coming to this thread to ask about this book! I'm reading it at the moment and thoroughly enjoying it. And the cover is beautiful! I'll go read your review now.

Also has anybody read Selina Penaluna by Jan Page? I hadn't much interest but it's got good reviews on Amazon. I got it as the 'free' book in a buy 1get 1 free.

Good to hear your enjoying it Nollaig, I hope to start it in the next few weeks a I've a couple of books ahead of it in the queue :D

Hi Andrea, how are you?, I know this is in no way helpful but I haven't read them but I want to, amazon is now selling an omnibus edition of the books and an omnibus edition of The Aurora Teagarden Mysteries :) I have heard they are really good. :)

Thanks Weave - I think I might take a punt on one of these. Maybe I'll put one on my christmas list :)

Has anyone read the Lily Bard Mysteries by Charlaine Harris? I'm looking for something light and easy to read with a touch of humour.

I haven't read those, but I did read the first 4 Aurora Teagarden mysteries (the omnibus edition Weave mentioned), but I thought they were a bit - colourless is perhaps the right word. Not bad, just not as good as I expected, given that the author was Charlaine Harris.

I didn’t see any mentions for this book by Michael Newton here so I thought I can share it. Did anybody read it? What do you think, do you think that it is real?

[Admin Edit: This has been merged - title of book was Journey of Souls]

Edited by Michelle

Can't say I have heard of this one, but the title sounds interesting, so perhaps I will look it up.

It is, the author claims that he can talk to souls through what he calls regression sessions... He claims that our souls are as old as thousands of years and they live multiple lives to improve themselves in rank....

Edited by bold

Sounds similar to my own beliefs then - although I don't think it's about improving our rank, for in the spirit world (or for that matter here) it is all about experience. The term rank implies heirarchy when imo at least there is none.

Sounds similar to my own beliefs then - although I don't think it's about improving our rank, for in the spirit world (or for that matter here) it is all about experience. The term rank implies heirarchy when imo at least there is none.

True, b ut the interesting part is that he isolates the body from the soul completely as if they are two different entities, as if there is a possibility that a body lives without a soul. I recommend you read it, I have my doubts, I wish he can do his experiments on me. Maybe I was a king or something in the ancient times :P

Black Swan Rising is written by both Carol and her husband, so maybe the combination works better, leading to better reviews?

I'm not sure. It got 3 and a half stars on amazon out of 5, 43 people reveiwed it. It sounds like it could be a good read but the bad reviews made it sound really disappointing so I was just wondering if anyone here had read it to see if I could get a better opinion. I don't like abandoning books but I also don't like having to read through really boring ones either lol so id rather check before I buy!

Has anyone read Slammerkin by Emma Donoghue? I'm trying to get into it, but I'm finding it so similar in concept to The Crimson Petal and the White that it's making it difficult since that was only two books ago from me. That was such a long read and something I loved so much that I invested myself in it anytime I had a free moment, so Slammerkin is feeling like an extension of that and it's mentally exhausting going back to that place so soon. ;) Anyone read it and can either confirm or deny my concerns of similarity between the two books?

• 2 weeks later...

I have read one. My son bought it for me for 5p from a school Christmas Fête because "you love books, Mum" when he was about 8 years old! lnr28.gif

And yes, it was dire - and very predictable!

I know someone who adores them though - and she's a 23 year old English teacher!!

My sister LOVES Mills and Boon, I've tried one but I couldn't even finish it, as Janet said, they're very predictable (and cliched). As far as I can tell the men are always arrogant, the woman are always ridiculously vulnerable and there's always a happy ending.

Saying that, I never go for any type of romance book, they're just not my thing, so maybe if you like other romance you might like Mills and Boon?

Has anyone read Cat Among the Pigeons by Agatha Christie? I've never read any before and have just started this, but it's not really grabbing my attention so far.

Janet, I know it's been a long time since you've posted this, but as a huge Agatha fan I can be trusted to say: "Cat Among the Pigeons" is a nice story, but there are better works from her out there. If you want to read something from Agatha Christie, I'd recommend "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd" or "And Then There Were None".

Thanks, Joice. :)

This is what I said about it when I finished:

I’ve had this book on my shelf for years and years! I’ve never read any Agatha Christie before, but I must have liked the sound of this. What I didn’t realise, as there is no mention of him on the back, is that it’s a Hercule Poirot mystery. Number 33, as it turns out!

It didn’t actually matter because he only turned up on page 160 of 224. So, nothing like the ITV series then!

It took me some time to get into this, and I nearly gave up at one point, but I’m glad I persevered to the end - it turned into a good little story - and I loved the end, which for when the book was published (1959) was probably pretty out of the ordinary.

Spoiler if unread...

Prince Ali had got an English girl pregnant and had married her, knowing that he could return and have other wives, but that she would be shamed by having a child out of wedlock - it is his wife to whom he asked for the jewels to be sent.

I’m not sure I’ll actively seek out any more Poirots, but if another comes my way then I may just try it out.

So it's good to have some recommendations. :)

I saw And Then There Were None at the theatre in Scotland on holiday in 1992 and remember it being brilliant.