Has anyone read...?

VanessaL

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any John le Carre readers out there. I thought it was time I delved into one or two his books and thought I would try The Russia House and maybe Smiley's people. Just wondered what opinions of his works were?

Any John le Carre readers out there. I thought it was time I delved into one or two his books and thought I would try The Russia House and maybe Smiley's people. Just wondered what opinions of his works were?

I've read one or two, and really enjoyed them. They are excellent thrillers, and I recall enjoying his early 'The Spy Who Came In From The Cold' as a great introduction of sorts to a world of which I had little literary knowledge.

I've read one or two, and really enjoyed them. They are excellent thrillers, and I recall enjoying his early 'The Spy Who Came In From The Cold' as a great introduction of sorts to a world of which I had little literary knowledge.

good to know....I have one on my shelf that I haven't read yet

good to know....I have one on my shelf that I haven't read yet

Thank you ladies! I might well treat myself to one then (as if I didn't have enough other stuff to wade through :blush: )

Interesting opinions on John La Carré as I was browsing the book-store the other day and some of his titles caught my eye; think I'll grab one next time I'm in there now.

Interesting opinions on John La Carré as I was browsing the book-store the other day and some of his titles caught my eye; think I'll grab one next time I'm in there now.

Let's know which one you decide on Ben and what you think of it.

I've decided to go for The Russia House and I will download it later - my Kindle has gone from slimline to quite fat with the amount of stuff going on it. :D

Has anyone read James Robertson The Testament of Gideon Mack.? Do you need to believe in God to read?

I read this a couple of years ago; no, it makes no difference whether or not you believe in God, to enjoy the book. :)

I have recently come across some books by Cormack McCarthy which look extremely interesting. I appreciate that American Literature might be lightweight but these books look really good. Anybody tried them the one I am looking at is " All The Pretty Horses" but he did write "No Country for Old Men"

I have recently come across some books by Cormack McCarthy which look extremely interesting. I appreciate that American Literature might be lightweight but these books look really good. Anybody tried them the one I am looking at is " All The Pretty Horses" but he did write "No Country for Old Men"

Neither one but I read The Road and it was very depressing.

I remember reading a book called Beyond the Stump by Neville Shute where a nuclear attack had destroyed the world and a few survivors struggled on until the inevitable end. The Road is about a father and son who have survived a holocaust but try to live through the resulting devastation in America. I understand that both books are somewhat depressing and I offer wonder why these stories are written

I remember reading a book called Beyond the Stump by Neville Shute where a nuclear attack had destroyed the world and a few survivors struggled on until the inevitable end. The Road is about a father and son who have survived a holocaust but try to live through the resulting devastation in America. I understand that both books are somewhat depressing and I offer wonder why these stories are written

Wasn't that On the Beach? I like his books though - especially A Town Like Alice

Wasn't that On the Beach? I like his books though - especially A Town Like Alice

Yes, I thought it was On the Beach also. It has been made into a movie with Gregory Peck and also a mini-series.

Well spotted the book was called On the Beach by Neville Norway Shute but it was still post apocalyptic and depressing. He also wrote a book called the Pied Piper about a world war 2 fighter pilot. If I recall that was much better. Don't know where I got "Beyond the Stump " from !sorry for being so misleading.

Well spotted the book was called On the Beach by Neville Norway Shute but it was still post apocalyptic and depressing. He also wrote a book called the Pied Piper about a world war 2 fighter pilot. If I recall that was much better. Don't know where I got "Beyond the Stump " from !sorry for being so misleading.

Neville Shute did also write Beyond the Stump - haven't read it though. :)

Actually it was"Beyond the Black Stump" available at Amazon with 5 stars. It is 45 years since I last read it and am a bit mixed up will have todo some re-reads. Does anyone recall authors such as Pearl Buck or Frank Yearby hot favourites in the fifties.

Actually it was"Beyond the Black Stump" available at Amazon with 5 stars. It is 45 years since I last read it and am a bit mixed up will have todo some re-reads. Does anyone recall authors such as Pearl Buck or Frank Yearby hot favourites in the fifties.

I certainly remember reading The Good Earth by Pearl Buck and I'm sure I've read some Frank Yearby but can't remember which ones.

I think the Frank Yerby books were romantic novels based on the relationships of a handsome doctor who also had some challenging patients to look after. I can almost feel a Mills and Boon moment overpowering me. Pearl Buck did indeed write the "good Earth" sadly no longer available as are the fantastic books written by Dennis Wheatley such as the "haunting of Toby Jug" and the Duc de Richleau stories. After some research I have found that almost the whole of the novels by Neville Shute Norway are available

On Amazon at modest charge.

Great, thanks Chesil and Aralia! I've asked Weave about it and will check it out on Amazon too :D.

Hey peace, how are you? I have read 'Meet the Radleys', I am very biased when it comes to Matt Haig, I think he is a brilliant writer, I did enjoy 'Meet the Radleys' , it was a good story. :)