Has anyone read...?

VanessaL

Has anyone read Titan by Stephen Baxter or any of his sci-fi novels?

Not Titan, but have read Flood and quite enjoyed it.

Has anyone read cross stitch by Diana Gabaldon? I'm starting it after I've finished memoirs of a geisha and looking forward to reading something a bit different

I have read it, but as Outlander. :) I have read the entire series, and loved it. Some are better than others, and occasionally there is drag in each book. But in the final analysis, the information imparted in the "draggy" sections is necessary to the story, not wasted space or words at all.

I can safely recommend it highly.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I have. It's very good, but I did prefer Voyage, which is one of my favourite 'hard' sf novels. It's about what might have happened to NASA's space programme had JFK not been assassinated, and the first manned-mission to Mars that came about as a result. I'm into all Apollo era stuff, so I was like a pig in the proverbial when I read it :lol:

I have read Flood and started Ark but wasn't really enjoying it, the problem I had was that though I enjoyed the concenpts in the book I found it hard to really like any of the characters and the way they developed.

hi what is the relation of cross stitch to outlander? What it turned into a series? X

I have read it, but as Outlander. :) I have read the entire series, and loved it. Some are better than others, and occasionally there is drag in each book. But in the final analysis, the information imparted in the "draggy" sections is necessary to the story, not wasted space or words at all.

I can safely recommend it highly.

Habeebi...Cross Stitch is the same book as Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. Outlander is the U.S. name for it, Cross Stich is the U.K. name. :)

She has written 7 books in that series.

Outlander

Dragonfly in Amber

Voyager

Drums of Autumn

The Fiery Cross

A Breath of Snow and Ashes

An Echo in the Bone

Plus:

The Outlandish Companion....catches up readers a little more than halfway through the series.

Plus:

Another series about Lord John, a character from the original series.

You might want to read the wiki article on her. http://en.wikipedia..../Diana_Gabaldon

Edited by pontalba

Has anyone actually completely read War and Peace by Tolstoy? I was considering adding it to my summer reading list (no way I'd have time for it right now) but I wanted to see if it was really worth my time.

I did read this back in 1989 during a 3 month stay in hospital with little to do but wait so spent all that time reading. It is quite an amazing piece of work but definitely not a weekend read! Worth the effort if you like the family saga type of book.

Has anyone read Lesley Pearce 'Charity' I have started reading this book, never read such a heartbreaking book, this afternoon I was in tears, when I was reading she gave her baby up for adoption, that is only part of the story.

I wondered if anyone else has read this book, first of Lesley Pearce books I have read, got another two to read Camelia and Ellie

I have just finished a book called Waiting for Columbus by Thomas Trofimuk,

It was a very good read, at times confusing, but well worth it, I didnt see the ending coming though,

Has anyone else read this and what did you think?

Has anyone read 'Let the right one in' by John Ajvide Lindqvist? I just finished reading it and it was gripping from start to finish and wondered if anyone else liked it? I'm going through a phase of reading books by swedish or classic authors although the book I am currently reading is very much about psychology as I want to study that eventually, so its mentally stimulating as well as a good read!

Also I was wondering if anyone else has read the House of Night series? I just finished Marked the first book in the series and I am wondering if it is worth buying the next book...

Has anyone read any books by Peter Lovesey. I confess I had never heard of him but he is quite profilic and his genre is crime (mostly taking place in the Bath area). He is coming to give a talk at our local Library tomorrow evening and I wondered how popular his books are.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone read anything by S J Rozan? Any thoughts as to what they may be similar to?

I have read a couple of S J Rozan books, and thoroughly enjoyed them. I am having a hard time thinking what I would compare them to (so I'm maybe not being very helpful!), but I found they had good storylines, characters that I was interested in, and some humour sprinkled in too.

I have read a couple of S J Rozan books, and thoroughly enjoyed them. I am having a hard time thinking what I would compare them to (so I'm maybe not being very helpful!), but I found they had good storylines, characters that I was interested in, and some humour sprinkled in too.

Thanks, saw a couple in the local charity shop so will give one a go