Has anyone read...?

VanessaL

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone read any Katie Fforde books and are they worth reading, thought about having a look round the charity shops for them.

There is actually a thread about Katie Fforde books here --> http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/1896-katie-fforde/ with a general discussion about her books and a couple of comments on specific ones. :)

Has anyone read Cat Among the Pigeons by Agatha Christie? I've never read any before and have just started this, but it's not really grabbing my attention so far.

Yes, a while back. I found it in a charity shop and thought it would be a good light read on a train. I wasn't altogether gripped - it's not one of my favourite Agatha Christie books.

I know lots of you have read Jasper Fforde

I have to say I hadn't noticed any Jasper Fforde books before joinging this forum and seeing as how he is so popular I feel I should give him a chance.

Am I right in thinking his books are comedy/parodies ?

Do I need to read them in order ?

You do need to read them in order, andI think they are known as Speculative Fiction. They are clever and witty and quirky.

You have 4 different series from which to choose;

The Thursday Next Series starting with 'The Eyre Affair', and running to 6 books so far. This is about an alternative reality of sorts and the adventures of a Literary Detective. They do make reference to other texts ('Jane Eyre', 'Wuthering Heights', 'Great Expectations'), and your enjoyment is probably enhanced by having read the refered to books, but it is not essential.

The Nursery Crimes Division series with 'The Big Over Easy' and 'The Fourth Bear'.I think a third book is likely. These books are focused on Detective Jack Spratt, his colleagues and the Nursery Crimes. A little knowledge of British Nursery Rhymes is useful.

There is also 'Shades Of Grey', a new series that was released last year ( I am yet to read, but it looks great!).

Lastly there is 'The Last Dragonlayer', considered a children's / young adult book, but from what I hear definitely worth reading.

Has anyone read any Erica James books and are they good, I have got 2 that I got quite cheap over the last couple of days. The Holiday and A Sense of Belonging

I have read A Sense of Belonging and A Breath of Fresh Air and enjoyed them both; if you are in the mood for a romantic novel then I will be surprised if you don't find them a good read. Let us know what you think of them! :)

Has anyone read any of Patrick Hamilton's novels? I've just received The Slaves of Solitude (WWII book) as I've heard he is one of those forgotten authors of the early 40s but I believe his books are having a revival. Hangover Square was his best seller.

Has anyone read cross stitch by Diana Gabaldon? I'm starting it after I've finished memoirs of a geisha and looking forward to reading something a bit different

No but I would be interested to hear what you think of it when you do.

I have - and I enjoyed it a lot, but wasn't tempted to continue with the rest of the series (although I think I'm' in the minority where the rest of the series is concerned - LOL!).

Has anyone actually completely read War and Peace by Tolstoy? I was considering adding it to my summer reading list (no way I'd have time for it right now) but I wanted to see if it was really worth my time.

Kell I'm curious what made you not want to read any more of her books?

I just felt the story reached a pretty good conclusion. I may go back t othem one day, but there are so many other books out there I wantr to read I may be some time - LOL!

• 2 weeks later...

I guess her books are pretty basic chick lit, I think. I've only read one, Jemima J., but I really liked it. The main character is an overweight woman struggling to find love and feel accepted, having a skinny, driven woman as a friend and colleague. There's of course more to the story. I just felt it was a kind of a comfy feel good read in the end.

Has anyone read any Erica James books and are they good, I have got 2 that I got quite cheap over the last couple of days. The Holiday and A Sense of Belonging

I think I read the Holiday years ago and on holiday with I think. I like Erica James so hope you enjoy.