James Patterson

Is it true he just does the story outlines now and leaves it to a team of writers to actually write the book?

I remember reading this interview about him which explains how he works with a team of collaborators and on the covers of the later books the authors who work on the book are credited - e.g. 10th Anniversary (Womens Murder Club 10) shows James Patterson in a large font, with "and Maxine Paetro" underneath it in a smaller font.

Edited by chesilbeach

• 2 weeks later...

I only just read the first one, got it as a mooch and found by accident but loved it and going to get the rest soon. Hope you enjoy it

• 11 months later...

Never been a fan. I don't know what happened. I gave it a try and just couldn't put it down fast enough. I guess some authors are like that, they just rub me wrong. Then there are authors like Colin Dexter who I really connect with. I hope you like it. I might give it a try if you say it's worthwhile.

^^^I'm the same. I read Along Came A Spider, and thought the writing was very sub-par. I know he's a massively popular author though, so he must have something.

(A lot of writers are like that though - I really like Cormac McCarthy, but so far, three of my workmates have read the Road and all of them disliked it, and his writing style.)

Glad it's not just me. I don't like his books, but I read so many other writers who have very similar styles, so I can't actually put my finger on what it is I don't like.

• 2 months later...
^^^I'm the same. I read Along Came A Spider, and thought the writing was very sub-par. I know he's a massively popular author though, so he must have something. (A lot of writers are like that though - I really like Cormac McCarthy, but so far, three of my workmates have read the Road and all of them disliked it, and his writing style.)

I agree. I only read one of patterson's books and for some reason just was not thrilled with it.

Now for Cormac McCarthy, I believe I have read all of his books and he is one of my favorite authors. I wish he would write more frequently.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have always been a fan of James Patterson, but i can agree with some of the comments that are being put on this forum.  

Since i first put the comment on i am finding myself more and more switching off with the story lines.    

Is it because do you think our tastes change over time,  has he written far too many books in the series, and we dont believe what happens any longer.

• 4 weeks later...

hello there!!!nice to be a part of your club!!!

I  just found out about this forum trying to make my mind up about what book to start reading by james patterson

i have seen the 2 films(along came a spider and kiss the girls)so i'm not interested in reading the books as well.

I was thinking to skip jack and jill and start with cat and mouse???Would there be any problems with that,like missing out on importand info etc...???

I've heard that some villains reappear in future books like someone called the weasel and the mastermind....

thanks in advance!!!

Jack and Jill is better than Cat and Mouse in my opinion.

thank you very much dex!!!I much appreciate your answer...

Would skipping jack and jill cause any storyline problems along the way...I mean,I know soneji first appeared on along came a spider and reappeared in cat and mouse.So these go together.

Also pop goes the weasel is somehow connected,i believe,with big bad wolf and london bridges.

And the mastermind appears on quite a few.