Bernard Cornwell Recommendations

I've only ever read one - The Winter King - and I enjoyed it a great deal. Might be worth a look if you haven't already. It's based around a more historically plausible version of the Arthurian legends, so if you like that kind of thing, it should be right up your street. :)

I love Bernard Cornwell's books and have read quite a few of the Sharpe books. The Warlord Chronicles (King Arthur) are definitely worth reading and I've also read Harlequin from the Grail Quest series. I've read Stonhenge from the standalone books and I'm planning to make a start on the Saxon Chronicles when I get a spare year off :D

Thanks guys for the suggestions I've made a note of them all :) I picked up The Bloody Ground this morning at the charity shop which seems to be part of his Starbuck Chronicles & I have A Crowning Mercy on my bookshelves already.

Despite being really interested in the Napoleonic Wars and also enjoyed the TV series I couldn't get into the Sharpe books at all or the American Civil war series, but I really enjoyed the Harlequin series which had me hooked from page one, and I also enjoyed his sort of follow up to that series 'Azincourt'

• 1 year later...

Are the Sharpe books really different to the tv series? I've seen them in a shop at £1 each and they have 18.

Edited by dex

I'd highly recommend his Grail trilogy which begins with Harlequin. He has also bought out an addition to that series called 1356. The Warlord chronicles is supposed to be his best work though.

Just to let you know, Sharpe's Rifles isn't the first Sharpe book. Sharpe's Eagle was the first one he wrote and Sharpe's Tiger is the first one chronologically. 

• 8 months later...

I read Stonehenge years ago, and loved it. I recently spotted it in a charity shop and snaffled it to enjoy again.

I'm also getting the Arthur trilogy for a Christmas prezzie, and have scavanged up the Grail trilogy 2nd hand, myself.

A pretty good launch into the worlds of Bernard Cornwell, if I do say so myself  :D