When you finish a book do you ever feel like starting the book again

VanessaL

What books have you found this with Vanessa?

I have actually started an immediate reread of a few, the two that spring to mind are The Shining by Stephen King, and Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde. There are several others but I can't recall which at the moment!

I'm sure I've done this many times but the one that springs most vividly to mind is still Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys - it's such a skilfully crafted book that every single word of the first half resonates twice as beautifully when read in the light of the second half, so I'm glad I dived back into the front cover having just emerged from the back.

I felt this way about Donna Tartt's The Secret History. The moment I finished reading the very last page, I paged back through the book and read a section here and there simply because the characters got under my skin and I wasn't quite ready to let them go yet. I will do a proper reread sometime soon.

I am going to re-read now 'Stanislaski Sister, Brothers and Wating for Nick/Considering Kate', all Nora Roberts, loved all the family so much, so I am going to start reading them again. Probably I am sad.

I felt this way about Donna Tartt's The Secret History. The moment I finished reading the very last page, I paged back through the book and read a section here and there simply because the characters got under my skin and I wasn't quite ready to let them go yet. I will do a proper reread sometime soon.

This is a bit of an obsession of mine and my siblings! We've each read that book no less than eight times. Fantastic re-read!

This is a bit of an obsession of mine and my siblings! We've each read that book no less than eight times. Fantastic re-read!

I discovered this book years ago on an outdoor bookstand in Lanzarote when on Holiday. It was before I had heard of the hype but I found it outstanding, and recommended it to everyone. I bought another copy about three years ago, with the intention of re reading it, but it sits there still waiting. I have never re read a novel - guess I don't see the point.

The only books I have re read are the Bill Bryson books "Notes from a small Island" and "Neither here or There"

So many more out there I guess ?

I was tempted to do it with a book I recently read - Independent People by Icelandic author the late Halldor Laxness. He paints such a vivid and brutal picture of what life was like for Icelandic farmers in the early 20th Century and the hardship they had to face, with breathtaking descriptions of the Icelandic landscape that I have come to love so much. I didn't read it again in the end, but I am sure I will again soon. I will also buy most of his other works, as they have all been recently re-issued and are a lot cheaper here than in Iceland !

Edited by Talisman

That happened to me with Life of Pi. It took me a long time to finish it (actually, once I've gotten through the first half, the pages just flew by!), but near the end I think I was reading faster and faster, like, warp speed :D And after the end, I felt like starting again, but then I just re-read the last part.

Actually, one of the reasons why it took me so long to finish it cos I kept re-reading paragraphs I liked, and there were lots! :D

I haven't thought about re-reading a book straight away after I finished book, but a couple of months or years down the line I've felt I wanna read that book again just to refresh my memory of the story, but I never do because I have a load of other books that I haven't read yet and I wanna read them.

I've never started a book over as soon as I have finished it, but I have re-read plenty a few months/years after I first read them. I love re-reading my favourites, and I seem to re-read more than I used to. It's like a guarantee that you will get a good read. Great, if you feel in danger of losing your mojo. :boogie:

Upon finishing William Golding's, Lord of the Flies, I found knowledge notes on the book online and was content. If I hadn't, I would probably have reread it. Also, had I not planned on reading a tonne of books whilst on holiday, 1983 would definately have been read anew.

No Place like Home - Pen Farthing.

I did read this twice practically back to back last summer and I am contemplating another reread now. A wonderful, very warm hearted book. Farthing is a genuine hero.

I wouldn't say I could start the same book again just like that because I would be just too willing to go onto another book but I definately would come back to it. I re-read books many a time simply because I love them and I don't care if I know what happens already!

• 3 weeks later...

@Topic,

most definitely!

Happened with all the Harry Potter books and the Wheel of Time books (well, with the latest ones I mean. _and_ the earliest ones.)

Usually I flip through my favourite scenes and read the dialogs out loud.

I read LOTR thrice in a row (and 36 times in three years) if I remember correctly.

Edited by vinay87

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When I was a kid I would re-read a book but not nowadays. Especially not straight away, I plan to read the Hunger Games again but not for a while. I feel like if I'm re-reading a book I'm missing out on another great book that I haven't read yet.