Fantasy Virgin

Habeebi

um...a little bit yeah. I think you can ignore that though because they're so well written. The characters are some how able to be believable and unique at the same time. The story really revolves around the people - any blood and guts is secondary. Best served cold might be a little too gory if you don't like that kind of thing though.

Not only can the man spin a yarn, his got a great sense of humour. Can't recommend him enough. :D

Peter V Brett is another author that I recommend.

• 2 years later...

If you're new to fantasy then I would suggest something that is "watered down". Diving straight into hard epic fantasy for many people can leave you confused, frustrated and hating the genre for eternity. I think it's best to start with something that I like to call "soft" fantasy. Something cross-genre that has a simple but intriguing plot and doesn't explode your brain with magic systems loaded with complex rules that you need a users guide to navigate.

As for recommendations I would probably go for something like Graceling by Kristin Cashore which combines a small dose of romance with the fantasy and focuses more on the complexities of the characters. Anything by Robin McKinley is also great starting point for the fantasy enthusiast.

Warprize by Elizabeth Vaughan is also good or if you like fantasy mixed with steampunk then titles like Stormdancer by Jay Kristoff may appeal to you.

If you want something a little deeper in the fantasy pool then Brandon Sanderson is the way to go! His worlds are so well constructed and his plots so well planned out that even the most beginner of fantasy readers will find it intriguing. (I'd start with either his Mistborn series or the Stormlight Archive series.)

Hope that helps :)