Do many of your friends or family read?

Habeebi

I was just wondering where people get their love of books and reading from? My folks certainly read a lot but that's about as far as it goes - my other half and mates are the total opposite of me and will only occasionally pick up the odd rubbishy chick lit (friends that is not other half) which I find frustrating as I'd love to have more people to chat about books with and swap good reads....guess that's why I joined here! I've even considered buying ear plugs to push in when my other half is watching crap on the t.v I can sit and read my book! haha

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few of my friends and colleagues read, and I often loan them books, but no-one is quite so enthusiastic as me ;)

Here's an old thread I found with a similar theme you might find interesting :smile2: : http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/6183-did-anyone-encourage-you-to-read/

Edited by chesilbeach

It depends what you call reading - if you mean just books, not many of them, but if you mean in general (newspapers, magazines, stuff on the Internet etc), nearly everyone in some capacity. You can't not really.

I know what you mean about the earplugs though - I sometimes do that at work when I am trying to read and my colleagues put the TV on - it doesn't occur to them to ask if I mind, they just switch it on without asking - extremely insonsiderate imo. I am looking forard to the summer when I sit out in the garden in peace without that problem. I will then have the residents talking to me instead though ...

Edited by Talisman

My husband and I are avid readers, my sister is just starting to read more and my brothers don't read at all :) My Ma was an avid reader but then stopped :(, my Da was a reader too :)

My sister has become a reader over the last few years, and my 2-y-o son loves books too, but I've only known my hubby to read 2 books in our entire 11 years together! My Mam's a big reader, but not as much as she used to be.

My sister reads a lot, when I was younger she would give me books to read & my hubby has recently been bitten by the reading bug & most of my kids enjoy reading too but I don't know anyone who loves books as much as I do that's why it's nice to come on here:)

My mom reads quite a bit and so did dad when he was alive. She reads fiction though and he was all about the non :D. I think my sibs would read more (they did when we were young) but they are so busy with kids and work I have no idea how they would find the time.

My 3 closest friends however read ALL of the time and love to swap books with me. Plus one of my friends' mom lends me loads because she's a big reader and knows exactly what I like :D.

My dad reads a bit, mostly in the bath and it takes him weeks to get through a book. My sister has her moments when she's really into reading, but they come and go. My mum reads mostly non-fiction business/marketing/self-improvement books.

My friends have always been into reading. It just happened to be something we all enjoyed doing, and didn't make a big fuss of it. Naturally, being a literature student, most of my friends at uni are avid readers, and I still love to catch up and talk about books with some of my sixth form friends.

Not sure if any of these influenced my love of books, or whether it was just my own exploration and me not being put off by family or friends who refuse to pick up a book. It might have been different if my friends through life have seen books as geeky/uncool (which they totally aren't!)

My Mum and Dad both enjoy reading, but not to the extend that I do, I should say. However, my mother works with strengthening the reading habits and the reading enthusiasm in primary school children, and she definitely knows the ins and outs on how to get kids to read.

My sister and brother both have extensive book collections and a great love of books. They both contributed heavily to my interest in reading, seeing as they are older than me and were role models for me when I was younger. My brother, the sneak, would buy me a book he liked and then read the first few chapters aloud to me. And then when I was well and properly hooked on the story, he would put it down and say that that was all he had time for. And then he'd add, "but you can continue a little on your own if you want to". So naturally, I devoured the entire thing.

My extended family doesn't read much, but I have five nieces and nephews so far, and the two eldest at least have taken to books already. My older nephew really detests being left out of grown-up conversation, so whenever me and my brother discuss a book he immediately wants to know all about it.

My closest friends are pretty much all readers, although on different levels. My boyfriend isn't really crazy about books like some of us here, but he loves audio books and often listens to them while doing other things. Which I kind of admire. I think audio books are harder to follow than when you see everything written down.

I'm the biggest reader in my family. My mum likes to read, but she tends to read the same books over and over. My dad is a quite a big reader when he has time. My brother does not read at all, he probably wouldnt know what a book was if you showed him!

I think anyone with friends who read are really lucky - I would love to be able to chat about books at work or socially but tend to keep my trap shut as I'm usually greeted by blank stares...I can tell they're thinking - she needs to get out more haha! I promise I do have a life beyond reading ! If I could cycle and read at the same time I would be in heaven haha

I have always been into reading, even from a toddler. It's a bit odd considering my parents don't read much. Well, my mum will read science books, but my dad doesn't read at all, and neither of them see the point in reading fiction. :rolleyes: My brother reads when he has the time, which is quite rare. Husband doesn't read, although he has picked up the the odd non-fiction. He'll never read fiction, though.

A fair few of my friends read, and we quite often exchange books and suggestions. :smile2:

Everyone in my family reads extensively and was influential in my own development of the bookworm bug - books have always been the staple birthday / Christmas present with us, and trips to the library / bookstore the most frequent kind of quality time outing. There's bookshelves in every sigle room of my childhood home, one of which even collapsed at one point under the duress of having books in triple file on every shelf! My Mum and sister in particular are great readers of speculative fiction and classics, these are also my favourite genres so I tend to trust their suggestions pretty much implicitly. All of my older cousins read and I'm proud to see the younger ones do the same as they get old enough.

I think that growing up in this kind of environment has meant that I've always looked for the same passion in potential friends. Not many people read for pleasure while I was at school, so with the few that did we necessarily gravitated towards each other. Since starting at my first uni five years ago just about everyone I met was bookish, which made for a welcome change. I do think that these days I'm probably the one of my everyday circle that reads most fiction, but considering how much time we're (rightly) expected to spend reading for research, I think that's got more to do with how many hours there are in the day rather than anything else!

Back when I was a kid, my dad would read about a book a week (always library books, cowboy or sci-fi) and my mother would read books about yoga or the occult or knitting patterns. None of my other 5 siblings would read much. I however was an insatiable reader. I would read a book a day. I don't know where that came from.

Of my 6 children, my 14 year old daughter has got my reading bug and also reads a book a day. Mostly vampire novels at the moment.

My dad don't read, my brother would read a book once in a blue moon, my mom she will read a book now and again, but not often, however my nan (mom's mom) always reads she reads a couple of chapters a night of the book she is reading at the time, also most of her friends read books. My other half don't read books. As far as I'm aware my dad's side of the family don't read either, I get most of my interests from my mom's mom.

Vodkafan, I'm jelous I wish I had time to read so much! My other half tends to kick off if I'm with him and my nose is stuck in a book for too long! Just jelous I think!

Some family members read about Islam once in a while, other than that, nobody as far as I know (I have many family members in different countries and don't keep up with everyone's life). I think I'm the only person who reads a lot of fiction and non-fiction in my family, my daughter loves fiction. Sometimes we both read the same book and share experiences. My son loves comics and fiction, but sometimes he doesn't read much for months, so I guess my daughter and I probably read most in our family. Where it came from? I have no idea. Love for books has been there for me from the time I learnt to read. Most family members often tried to stop me from reading fiction, especially my parents thought reading would be disastrous for my school results. Quite silly actually, since books are actually better for school results, they improve language capability for example.

I have a few friends who enjoy reading too, they read less nowadays though because of work and family life. Still books are a part of their lives, perhaps in a less busy time in their lives they'll be able to increase reading. :)

Edited by sadya

I grew up with parents who both read a lot, my dad never watched tv he always sat at the kitchen table away from the noise reading. I do that now sometimes, sit in the kitchen reading while my kids watch tv. Both my kids like books, especially my 4 year old son, which I'm really pleased about. My husband is dyslexic and doesn't read much, but he's making an effort to since we saw a documentary showing how boys reading is influenced by their father. I'm proud of him for doing it, cos he takes a long time to comprehend what he's reading so its more a struggle than a joy for him but he wants to encourage our kids.

both my parent read avidly when I was young, so that must have influenced me... I read quite a lot but my sister on the otherhand was never a keen reader. my husband reads sporadically, my son loves reading, but my daughter regards reading pretty much as a chore. :(

Edited by shirleyz

My dad used to read the odd crime book about horse racing when I was younger, but he tends to stick to newspapers now.

My older brother and sister have been reading Sci-fi and fantasy books for as long as I can remember and they are probably the ones who got me into reading when I was younger.

My younger sister has started reading books now but I suspect that has more to do with her A-levels then anything else, although she will give a book a go if you recommend it to her.

My mother was an avid reader, and passed it on to me, and my father's family was heavily into reading history and poetry mostly. My mother and I used to share books, trade and discuss. :D

I'm very fortunate in my OH, he is a great reader as well. We swap as well, and of course discuss! :readingtwo: