Yes Man by Danny Wallace

Janet

013-2011-Mar-06-YesMan.jpg

Yes Man by Danny Wallace

The ‘blurb’

Danny Wallace had been saying no. Far too much. No to his friends, no to his colleagues, no to nights out and no to himself. And life was dull. Dumped by his girlfriend and on a road to nowhere, it was only when a mystery man on a late night bus uttered three magic words that his whole world started to change…

’Say Yes More.’

And Danny did. He said yes to his friends, yes to strangers, yes to adverts… yes to everything!

Yes Man is the story of how one little word can change your life forever!

What would you do if someone you hardly knew asked you to travel from London to Liverpool to attend their leaving party? Or if someone asked you to go to Stonehenge and have your photo taken? Or you were asked to murder someone? Well, this is the challenge that Danny faces - although he’s hoping the question of murder doesn’t actually crop up… :giggle2:

After meeting a stranger on a bus who tells him to “say yes more”, Danny resolves to make this his new mantra in life. From now on, if someone asks him a question he will say yes. Soon his life is taking all sorts of new directions - not all of them good!

Yes Man is the account of Danny’s determination to take whatever life throws at him. He becomes richer for the experience in many ways - although poorer due to all the ‘new type of’ credit cards that he accepts! As ever, reading this book is like hearing Danny chat to you across a pint in the pub. It’s like listening to an old friend. Danny’s warmth and humour spill out of the pages, making this another enjoyable read. :)

Is this the book that spawned the Jim Carey film or is it the other way around? The film was absolutely hilarious so I'm betting the book is pretty good too. Danny Wallace is a pretty funny guy so I'l be adding this one to the books I'd (eventually) like to read.

The film came from the book. I haven't seen the film, but two of the FAQs on IMDB.com say:

Is this movie based on a book?

Yes. The film is based on the 2005 biography Yes Man by British humorist Danny Wallace. Wallace describes the six month period during which he said "yes" to everything that was offered to him and how it affected his life.

How closely does the movie follow the novel?

Those who have both read the novel and seen the movie say that mostly everything was changed -- plot, setting, and names -- although the basic premise of a man saying "yes" to everything offered to him was kept the same.

I don't think I'd describe the book as 'hilarious' - it might not live up to the film if the two are compared...

The film is a very very loose version of the book bearing very little resemblance to it really. The film is pretty good as it is, but the book, I think, is far better because it is what actually happened, and if you've read any of Danny's other books, you can totally imagine it all going down - LOL!

The film is a very very loose version of the book bearing very little resemblance to it really. The film is pretty good as it is, but the book, I think, is far better because it is what actually happened, and if you've read any of Danny's other books, you can totally imagine it all going down - LOL!

OOoohhh I have this on my book shelf waiting to be read - Kell I have seen the film which I quite enjoyed but as usual books are better - interesting that it is dissimilar to the book??

I haven't read any of Danny Wallace yet but there are a few I fancy tucking into - just wish I had more time! Two weeks on a beach somewhere warm would do just nicely....

• 2 years later...

I would agree with Kell: the movie is less interesting than the book as the book is the 'real deal': it's what actually happened :)

I read this a few months ago and really enjoyed it and maybe even learnt a few things. I would highly recommend it :smile2:

That's good to know. I have the film recorded from TV from quite a while ago, I still haven't watched it XD. I might have to buy the book :P. I didn't know it was a non-fiction book, I thought it was fiction. That makes it even more interesting I think.

Edited by Athena

It's definitely worth a look - along with all of Danny Wallace's other books - he has such a great, light-hearted outlook on life and really comes across as someone we could all be mates with if we ever met him in person. :)

That's good to know. I have the film recorded from TV from quite a while ago, I still haven't watched it XD. I might have to buy the book :P. I didn't know it was a non-fiction book, I thought it was fiction. That makes it even more interesting I think.

I like the movie, too, there's Jim Carrey in it. And if you like Zooey Deschanel, it's a must movie :) The book's definitely worth reading! And I'm probably going to acquire a copy of Random Acts of Kindness by the same author, too, it sounds great! :)

• 2 weeks later...