• Announcements

• Hayley

Something Wicked This Way Comes...   10/09/2019

The Autumn Supporter Giveaway!       Welcome to the very first of the seasonal BCF supporter giveaways! This month also marks one year since I took on the forum, so I want to say an extra huge thank you to all of you for keeping this place going. I have a little bit more to say about that later but, for now, let's get to the giveaway!     The Autumn Giveaway winner will be getting two Penguin Little Black Classics, The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe and To Be Read At Dusk by Charles Dickens. Both of these little books contain three atmospheric short stories, perfect for autumnal evenings. The winner will also get Mary Shelley tea (a lavender and vanilla black tea) from Rosie Lea Tea's Literary Tea Collection (https://www.rosieleatea.co.uk/collections/literary-tea-collection) and a chocolate skull, to really get that spooky atmosphere .   and...   A special treat for a special month. The winner will choose one of the following recent paperback releases from the independent bookshop Big Green Bookshop:       The Wych Elm by Tana French A House of Ghosts by W.C. Ryan Melmoth by Sarah Perry The Familiars by Stacey Halls  The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein by Kiersten White   The winner will be chosen via the usual random selection process in one week. Patreon supporters are entered automatically. If you aren't a patreon supporter but you'd like to join in with this giveaway, you can support here: https://www.patreon.com/bookclubforum.   I really hope you're all going to like this introduction to the seasonal giveaways. It's been a lot of fun to put together. Other chocolate skulls may have been harmed during the selection process…     
Purple Poppy

Comics And Graphic Novels.

I can't believe that I haven't seen this thread for all the times I have been on this forum!

I used to read Graphic novels and comics all the time. I stopped when money was a bit tough and I could get second hand real cheap books but not GP or comics. My oldest son loves them and gets a bundle every month.

It one of the things I wanna start getting back into. I used to love reading them when my mojo was a little slow especially.

I love reading graphic novels and comics. I collect the Collector edition comics from the Marvel side each mounth and generally need to read them before my dad as he enjoys reading them as well. I agree that Asterix is a great series.

Has anyone else read Watchmen?

Hi Kenny! Yep, I've read Watchmen. Actually we chose it for a reading circle discussion a few months ago. :) I thought it was terrific. I want to read The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen next.

Hello friends

My favorite comics books is avatar .I like avatar comics book because it is fun jokes and interesting story.I hope you like this comics book.I read all episode this book.

Edited by Kylie
Removed link

I don't know why but i can't call them Graphic Novels i just can't. I love comics , i do! But they are not novels .....

I'm currently reading The Walking Dead series, and loving it. I bought the compendium, Volume 1, which is the first 8 books, as it's much much cheaper than buying them separately. I'm hooked on the TV series and it's interesting to compare the two. :boogie:

I agree with you PP it is certainly better to read something than nothing, and comic books certainly have their place, but, as you said, graphic novels are a whole new art form; I wouldn't compare the two. I've tried recently to read a supergirl comic (having loved her when I was young) and really didn't enjoy it at all, it lacked any real substance. Whereas, generally, the graphic novels I have read have been as absorbing and as gripping as any novel; I would definately recommend that you give them a try!

Edited by Michelle
link removed

I have kept hundreds of comics since i was a kid. Have loads of X-men, Avengers, Fantastic 4, Spider Man etc. Have one X-men comic from 1967. Not in very good condition. Does anyone have any idea where i could get this valued?

Sometimes there is nothing more exciting than a well depicted Graphice Novel. (well, maybe chocolate :D )

Watchmen

The Trial

Crime and Punishment

The Walking Dead all up to date.

Maus I and II

Persepolis

Some Manga from daughters collection.

Are there many people around still who read comics and / or graphic novels and / or manga or am I the only one? I've been reading more manga lately now that my boyfriend's things are in the Netherlands with us. I also have some graphic novels on my TBR (mainly those based on 'text'books) and some comics (mainly to re-read old Donald Ducks and some comics I bought from HumbleBundle). I have to say I prefer 'text'books but I do like to read something with pictures now and then.