Comics And Graphic Novels.

Purple Poppy

Fireball, in answer to your question, there are 7 Dark Tower books.

The Dark Tower I: The Gunslinger (1982)

The Dark Tower II: The Drawing of the Three (1987)

The Dark Tower III: The Waste Lands (1991)

The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass (1997)

The Dark Tower V: Wolves of the Calla (2003)

The Dark Tower VI: Song of Susannah (2004)

The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower (2004)

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes Liz that is the complete series, as far as I know there will be no more but the 7 books will be made into graphic novels by Marvel. :readingtwo:

Fireball, I avoided The Dark Tower series for a long time, I kept to books like 'Carrie' and 'The Shining', it was by accident I starting reading the series, I saw a copy of 'The Gunslinger' for 50p in a charity shop, read it, thought it was okay but I wanted to know what happened, read 'The Drawing of the Three' and I was well and truely hooked!

:readingtwo:

And you and Liz are both very welcome:)

Maus is indeed an excellent work. I had a boyfriend who was obsessed with graphic novels and i always dismissed them as being 'comics'. Then he bought me maus for my birthday one year and I changed my mind! I would also reccommend The watchmen and V for vendetta (which was made into a film recently).

by graphic novel do you mean like a novel in the form of a comic strip type thing? if so, the artemis fowl one looks good. i've not read it but it looks quite cool!

I bought it for my daughter - it looked really good - she was very pleased with it.:readingtwo:

:lol:

I saw it! For the first time I saw the graphic novel of The Crow... and it was beautiful. It was like finding the Holy Grail for this fan.

Yet I could not buy the book because my money is going towards new glasses (which I need for reading so not all bad).

But that book will be mine. Oh yes, it will be mine.

And I will squee and bask in the beauty of The Crow here, in hope that others will squee with me.

The Crow sounds so cool! Love the film from years of old, gonna keep an eye out for it thanks Musie!

I've recently read Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi, it was wonderful; another book that has given me an insight into things otherwise unknown. It's autobiographical of Marjane who grew up in Iran at the time of revolution and unrest, and discusses the war with Iraq. It obviously focusses on her personal journey, which I really enjoyed.

I've also just read volume 4 of Marvel's Runaways by Brian K Vaughan (author of Y, the last man and some of Lost on tv!) - I'm really enjoying it, it is very much written for the young adult, but this makes it a nice light read to enjoy between books.

• 4 weeks later...
Just finished reading Y the last man. Its a very good GN, which I think lots of people will love.

Y the last man is fantastic!! I recommend this series to anyone with ears :hissyfit: ..glad you enjoyed it O's :)

Brian K Vaughan has also been writing for Lost and currently has a Marvel series out (aimed more at teenagers) called 'Runaways' - I'm really enjoying it :Tantrum:

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Kylie:

I saw one called Nevermore today. It's based on the writings of Edgar Allan Poe and includes The Raven and several other stories of his. Looked pretty interesting.

Nice idea, Kylie! The cover looks a little unsettling, but I would love to see someone's artistic interpetation of those dramatic poems. I'll have to look for this one and others like it. Wouldn't an Emily Dickinson graphic novel be sweet?

I'm here!! Finally... :lol:

Well Princess Ponti is VERY good with the whole graphic novel genre, I have to say :lol: But here's my 'two-penneth worth' anyway, lol:

Blankets by Craig Ringwalt Thompson is very good - probably a good starting point for the uninitiated (although I insist on everyone reading Maus *nudge nudge*). It's a thick book, but the beauty of graphic novels is that it takes at least half the time it takes to read a novel, lol.

BTW: on Amazon, you can take a look inside it. Handy.

Thanks for the recommendation, PDR. I forgot to mention I read this in March. I did not like the sexual content or the odd questioning of religion, but otherwise it was a warm, immersive read.

Have you ever seen The Road to Perdition, guys? I have not, since I was very young when it came out, but I flew through the graphic novel version. Maybe the story is a little cliche to people by now, but for this inexperienced crime fiction reader, I found the story of avenging one's family and speculating on the motives of a cold killer so interesting! The illustrations took so much time. They look so realistic, or even better than real life.

For comics, I picked up Batman: The Greatest Stories Ever Told. At first I checked it out just out of nostalgia from the 1990s dark cartoon, and enthusiasm from Dark Knight, and thinking I would have a chuckle out of the older comics. It turned out to be a great collection! I highly recommend it to those who love and even those who don't know much about the Batman story.

• 3 months later...

Do people consider them 'real' novels?

What are peoples favourites?

I only really got into them properly last year... I'd read Sandman (Neil Gaimon) and not been overly impressed. But last year I read Watchmen (Alan Moore) and was blown away. Watchmen has obviously just been released as a film - which was actually amazingly faithful to the book.

S x

PS - Apologies if this has been discussed before - i looked through the most recent two pages of posts.

I actually quite like "Sandman" - but then I like Neil Gaiman's writing in general so I guess that helped. Particularly "Seasons of Mist" I enjoyed; its portrayal of Lucifer Morningstar vs. Dream was profound yet epic.

The only other one I've really appreciated is James O'Barr's "The Crow" - which is about 10 times as nightmarishly depressing than the already nightmarishly depressing film.

I wouldn't class them as novels as such, there's not enough actual words in them I feel; I'd say more like comics with a higher-class of writers?

PS - Apologies if this has been discussed before - i looked through the most recent two pages of posts.

It's easier to use the 'search' facility than to look manually. You'll find it in the dark blue tool bar under the banner at the top for the forum. :shrug:

I actually quite like "Sandman" - but then I like Neil Gaiman's writing in general so I guess that helped. Particularly "Seasons of Mist" I enjoyed; its portrayal of Lucifer Morningstar vs. Dream was profound yet epic.

I consider the later Sandman books the best. I particularly like The Kindly Ones because all the threads from the previous books come together at last. I also liked the Lucifer vs Dream confrontation. Have you tried reading the Lucifer spin-off series by Mike Carey?

• 1 year later...

I don't read many, but I do love them on occasion. I was avidly following the Buffy Series 8 ones 'til I got behind and can't seem to catch up :blush:

I have read and loved Craig Thompson's Blankets, and a few fairly random ones, a couple of Sandman and so on.

At the weekend I bought this, even though I really couldn't afford it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mouse-Guard-Autumn-David-Petersen/dp/1845766601

6a00c2251ef4d0549d0123de0a4d07860d-200pi

I have to confess that I bought it because I have a secret love for stories involving mice: some of my first books were the Brambly Hedge books, and I progressed to The Deptford Mice and then the Redwall books.

It is lovely, I read it on the train journey home and the guy next to me couldn't stop himself reading over my shoulder. I'll be buying the next one, Winter 1152, next time I'm in Leeds City Centre.

This is the series website: http://www.mouseguard.net/