Comics And Graphic Novels.

Purple Poppy

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 26 and am only just getting into graphic novels. I gotta be honest, I love them! I was never massively into comics when I was younger, though like most kids I enjoyed them. Its only recently thought that I've become to really appreciate them.

The first reason was probably because of Batman - I always loved the dark imagery of Batman, and how you always felt that there wasn't really much sepearating him from the bad guys, just his all-consuming desire for vengeance. Frank Miller's books in particular are fantastic.

V For Vendetta is just the most mind blowing book I've ever read. I've read about 5 times this past year and each time I read it I get more and more out of it. It's just phenomenal. While I'm reading the book and for a while afterwards its all I'm thinking about, whether at work or in leisure, its on my mind!

I'm also just getting into the X-Men: Age of Apocalypse series which is also fantastic. I dunno why I've gotten into them all so much though, it just captures something in my imagination that I can't let go off.

I'm trying to write a superhero book, but a straight forward novel, as oppose to the grahpic novel. I've done about 8 chapters so far. It's quite a bit different from the standard grahpic novel ideas, but it contains a lot of influences from the genre too. Not that that's particularly relevant here! :friends0:

• 1 month later...

And I use my necromantic powers to raise this thread from the dead.

I have just finnished the graphic novel JLA: Identity Crisis and wow, thats got to be one of the best darn comic I have ever read. I'm a fan of the JLA, but this book surpasses my expectations.

I have also just added batman: Hush and the two tpb of the supreme power series (Marvel writers reimagining the DC universe). I have the bug, must buy more.

Thanks O's, for your powers of resurrection :D

I've just finished Watchmen by Alan Moore & David Gibbons and I loved it! Thought it was extremely powerful and a beautifully constructed novel, graphic or no.

I'm also continuing to enjoy Joss Whedon's new Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 8 comic series. It's so popular that I've had to place a standing order from now on!

Guest fireball

As I mentioned here a few days ago I get TCJ have a look at this months offering. : http://www.tcj.com/index.php

Also there old blighty's answer of sorts to TCJ too,! and it's called Comics International. Here's their web site: http://www.comicsinternational.com/

You should also be able to get their monthly magazine too at your local Forbidden Planet or the equivalent. Not a bad magazine either, they've recently celebrated their 200 edition.!

:D :D

Icecream, hi there, to your question "What exactly do you mean by graphic novel? I've never been into comics really."

A very honest answer to query can be found here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphic_novel

• 6 months later...

A friend lent me Runaways, Volume 1: Pride & Joy by Brian K Vaughan today and I've read it already and really enjoyed it, so here I am recommending it as a good graphical novel to dip your toe in the water.

Brian K Vaughan also wrote the Y: The Last Man series, which was great, and some of the later episodes of Lost, and this seems to be a somewhat lighter story, almost for a teenage audience (judging by the book itself, cover art etc). It is about a group of young adults that find out that their parents have been keeping a hideous secret from them. The first book deals with the scene setting, and the mystery of what the secret is and just touches on the action that I'm sure will follow. I sat and read it all in one sitting, probably for an hour (or a little less) and was fully immersed. It's a great break from heavy books!

Linky:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Runaways-Pride-Joy-v/dp/0785113797/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1196555220&sr=8-1

Thanks for this Fireball; I totally agree! People seem to see graphic novels as some lower thing that you should be ashamed of reading. I see the amount of work that goes into them, they really are an art form. I've just read the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (behind the times I know), and the amount of detail in the art work is incredible, it really adds to the story in a way that you wouldn't get with a 'real' book. When reading a traditional novel you have everything explained, but with a 'picture' book, you look at the images and notice things that make your brain tick over, it's strangely satisfying to see something in the background that lets you work out what might happen next! Love it!

I've always been fascinated by comics & graphic novels, but been too embarrassed to buy any. I bought three comics based on Elektra a couple of years ago because I loved the artwork so much.

I would like to get my hands on the graphic novel of The Crow because I've had a passion for that for about 3 years. There is something so beautiful about that story.

I'm trying to wait for Buffy Season Eight to be brought out in volume books, but it's so bloody tempting to buy. I am also planning on getting a copy of the new Heroes graphic novel because I love the artwork.

I love words and I love beautiful artwork!

I spent some time in Spain earlier this year, and when the weather was bad (as it often was), retreated to the library, Here I discovered an Italian artist Hugo Pratt and his creation 'Corto Maltese', a "rogue with a heart of gold, ...tolerant and sympathetic to the underdog.. ". The type of illustration harks back (a bit) to the 1950s - kind of Dan Darish (it's certainly retro, and no worse for that). I believe a French film has recently been made. The hero has various adventures, many with adult (though not obscene) themes set in various locations around the world before, during and after the First World War. I enclose two links, one to the author, the other to some examples of the artwork:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_Pratt

http://mapage.noos.fr/dardelf3/Corto.html

There are many others, some of which take an age to load

During my sojourn, I found the series to be well-researched and illustrated with great finesse and fidelity - I hope some may find this of interest if you are not yet familiar with HP or CM.

Guest fireball

finrod, many thanks for that. Speaking of those wonderful Spanish artists there's one sometimes overlooked person, sadly no longer with us, and that is Jes

• 2 months later...

I just recently read 'Dark Tower: Gunslinger Born' by Peter David and Robin Furth, the new graphic novel from Marvel comics, based on 'The Dark Tower' by Stephen King. The pictures are stunning I have to say and I am looking forward to reading the rest of the series.