Comics And Graphic Novels.

Purple Poppy

I have two shelves of what I suppose are comic books in my wardrobe: Calvin and Hobbes, Tintin, Asterix, Dilbert and The Far Side.

I actually started reading early as a result of my parents reading Oor Wullie and The Broons to me every night - one night I just started reading along with my mum...

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that "graphic novels" are technically glorified comic books, but do any of you have a particular favourite (if you're like me and slumming the depths of what in a very broad sense can be considered literature)? I have a penchant for the Hellblazer and Sand Man series (because I wuv Neil Gaiman :D).

Edited by Michelle
merged with an existing thread :)

I'm not a huge fan per se, as I can't bear comics. Even as a kid I hated them, because I found most of them lacked whatever it is that keeps me reading. That and I'm not a superhero person. I can't bear Batman, Superman, Spiderman, Catwoman, or any of the others.

After reading Stephen King's Dark Tower books though, I have come to love the graphic novels based on his books.

I have also considered on several occasions getting into Gaiman's Sandman, as the concept appeals to me greatly. I find though, that anywhere I look, they are so expensive.

On Amazon for instance, one can pay anything from

I sympathise Vanwa on the cost side of things. You pay roughly twice the amount of money for a paperback, and you can pretty much finish reading one in a day. I never did get into Batman, X-men, or any of the popular hero-orientated ones either. Poppyshake, you sound like you'd really enjoy the Sand Man series, it's Gaiman at his best (well, apart from American Gods, but that goes without saying :D).

I'm not a huge fan per se, as I can't bear comics. Even as a kid I hated them, because I found most of them lacked whatever it is that keeps me reading. That and I'm not a superhero person. I can't bear Batman, Superman, Spiderman, Catwoman, or any of the others.

After reading Stephen King's Dark Tower books though, I have come to love the graphic novels based on his books.

I have also considered on several occasions getting into Gaiman's Sandman, as the concept appeals to me greatly. I find though, that anywhere I look, they are so expensive.

On Amazon for instance, one can pay anything from

I would love to get into graphic novels but I agree that they are just so expensive that it rather puts me off.

Which begs the question, do you think they would sell more copies if they were cheaper - enough to cover any losses from making them cheaper?

(I'm not sure that makes sense, but I'm very tired and can't think of how to word it properly.)

I would love to get into graphic novels but I agree that they are just so expensive that it rather puts me off.

Which begs the question, do you think they would sell more copies if they were cheaper - enough to cover any losses from making them cheaper?

(I'm not sure that makes sense, but I'm very tired and can't think of how to word it properly.)

It's a bit of a catch 22 isn't it? They're expensive because the publishers know they're catering to a select audience, but if they were cheaper then that wouldn't put people off trying them to begin with. I don't see the harm in lowering the prices, considering the publicity the popular comics get in films these days.

• 5 weeks later...

We occasionally have people posting about graphic novels, unable to find anything already posted. Instead of keep merging these topics, we've set up a new small sub forum for them.

If you're aware of any threads which need moving here, let me know. :)

That's good as I also enjoy reading manga! this forum will be very useful, especially when waiting to hear if a new volume for a particular series is available-lots of eyes and ears!

• 3 months later...

I am self confessed comic book freak I enjoy every genre or sub genre of the comic medium.

I do enjoy comics aimed more for adults and can only get behind dark characters.

I do find it strange how comic books and graphic novels have become more mainstream and respected over the last few years.

Like the OP stated a few years back anyone who said they read comics and were over twenty were labelled as geeks.

I am happy to note that the stupid notion of comics being fluff for kids and are nothing but guys in spandex has nearly completely died out.

I read comics like I read books were some graphic novels I own being even better written or more enjoyable than critically acclaimed novels. Watchmen and The Crow come to mind.

Does anyone here read Marvel’s MAX line or DC’S Vertigo line they are comic books and graphic novels books aimed for mature readers and are quite brilliant. :readingtwo:

Okay rant over.

:D

Last night at work I bought my first ever graphic novel- a Marvel adaptation of Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility. It's so beautiful, I don't even want to touch it!

7.gif

The last graphic novel I bought was the Twilight graphic novel by Stephenie Meyer and Young Kim, the pictures are goregeous :) I am also planning on buying The Walking Dead books by Tony Moore and Robert Kirkman :)

7.gif

I am also planning on buying The Walking Dead books by Tony Moore and Robert Kirkman :)

I am not a big reader of graphic novels but I can really recommend those, if the TV series follows the story it is going to be great.

• 3 weeks later...

I enjoy the occasional graphic novel. We actually chose one for our reading circle a while back - The Complete Maus by Art Spiegelman. I also loved The Plucker: An Illustrated Novel by Brom.

The Maus series of graphic novels are wonderful.

In terms of the classics, I have a bit of a thing for Swamp Thing and the Hellblazer series. In fact, John Constantine's first ever appearance as a character was in an edition of Swamp Thing.

I find I am easily won over by James Jean's cover illustrations for Fables, and also the illustrations which were used for the covers of The Invisibles. They are really great.

But my favourite publication, in this genre, is Rogan Gosh, by Milligan and McCarthy. It's so abstract, with two stories running parallel to one-another throughout. It's illustrated and coloured in the style of Indian comic books, which is where the influence for it comes from, even though it's meant to be semi-autobiographical. It's pretty unique, and really exciting to simply look at - there is so much going on with each page! It's a bit of a treasure for me :blush:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have recently bought a copy of V for Vendetta by Alan Moore as I really enjoyed the film and was told the novel was better. I have read Watchmen by Moore and the story telling was amazing as was the artwork that accompanied it. If V for Vendetta is as good as people say it is I will get From Hell next as I loved the film (although that may be because Johnny Depp stared in it).

My older sister has a copy of Maus somewhere so I may have to have a rummage around for that sometime and give it a read. Although knowing her it's probably shoved under her bed and I will have to rescue it. :rolleyes:

I have recently bought a copy of V for Vendetta by Alan Moore as I really enjoyed the film and was told the novel was better. I have read Watchmen by Moore and the story telling was amazing as was the artwork that accompanied it. If V for Vendetta is as good as people say it is I will get From Hell next as I loved the film (although that may be because Johnny Depp stared in it).

I think you will love V for Vendetta, I know I did. I read both that and The Watchmen before I watched the movies and I thought the books were better (cliché I know).

I tend to read a lot of books from DC's Vertigo line.

I think you will love V for Vendetta, I know I did. I read both that and The Watchmen before I watched the movies and I thought the books were better (cliché I know).

I tend to read a lot of books from DC's Vertigo line.

I read Watchmen before I watched the film and the book is far better. I only just watched V for vendetta for the first time a couple of months ago and as soon as I saw it was based on Alan Moore's work I went to buy a copy. Having to wait the few weeks for it to arrive from the publishers has only built up my eagerness to read it. :D

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

My older sister has a copy of Maus somewhere so I may have to have a rummage around for that sometime and give it a read. Although knowing her it's probably shoved under her bed and I will have to rescue it. :rolleyes:

A word of warning, 'From Hell' is nothing like the film. Its a much more serious affair with regards Jack the Ripper and the various theories and conspiracies surrounding the affair, and I'd argue a much more adult book overall.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I can't believe that I haven't seen this thread for all the times I have been on this forum!

I used to read Graphic novels and comics all the time. I stopped when money was a bit tough and I could get second hand real cheap books but not GP or comics. My oldest son loves them and gets a bundle every month.

It one of the things I wanna start getting back into. I used to love reading them when my mojo was a little slow especially.

• 1 month later...

I love reading graphic novels and comics. I collect the Collector edition comics from the Marvel side each mounth and generally need to read them before my dad as he enjoys reading them as well. I agree that Asterix is a great series.

Has anyone else read Watchmen?