Comics And Graphic Novels.

Purple Poppy

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My current favorite is Y the last Man by Brian K. Vaughn. This is the story of the last man on Earth; everyone else with a Y chromosome has died. This is an ongoing with a new volume coming out about every 3 months.

I'm reading this too!!! :friends0: It's fantastic! The last edition I thought I was finally understanding what was going on, then it was left on a cliffhanger again!!! ...I'm going to re-read the whole lot and look for clues.. Let me know if you have any theories!

... I used to watch Asterix when I was young, have never read the books though, forgot they ever existed actually!! I love the dog!

• 2 weeks later...

I am going on a course in May that will have half a day devoted to Graphic Novels and Manga. If I remember (or someone prompts me!!) I will post here the recommendations that are made.

Having read one or 2 Graphic Novels as part of our evaluation process at work, I am really looking forward to some pointers about how to read them!

The course sounds great Sugar...

The Dark Tower graphic novels are due out this year (see my avatar, that is the artwork), I am looking forward to seeing how mid-world pans out in glorious colour.:lol:

Yes PDR it is, and I can't wait, if you are interested, this is the rest of the artwork.

DarkTower_p02_col2--1.jpg

DarkTower_p01_col2-.jpg

NewTattoo-1.jpg

^ that is my tattoo based on the dark tower..

Because I liked the idea of it, I just got it done in that photo, I hope you didn't mind me showing it and I love the whole series of the Dark Tower.

The rose and The Dark Tower are connected, its different sort of a tattoo...:lol:

I like tatoos that mean something.

I don't have any, but if I did, I always think I'd like to have "There By The Grace Of God". But I think that might look weird, as I'm not actually a Christian. Or believe in any God. So I might get a teensy bit fed up of explaining to people :lol:

You should never need to explain but I know what you mean, I have 7 tattoos, and the amount of questions I get asked. I put a lot of thought into the rose, it was originally supposed to be something else , actually my tattoo is a cover up of a tattoo I got done in my early twenties and thought 'Nope, don't like this anymore' so the original picture would not cover, and after numerous discussions with the tattooists, we agreed on the rose.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o154/Pictures_073/DarkTower.gif

This is where the idea came from..:lol:

• 1 month later...

Well yeah -- graphic novels are expensive. There is a lot to them and must be expensive to print.

I've enjoyed the Batman Dark Knight books, so awesome and ...dark. Especially good if you grew up reading the comix.

The Sandman by Neil Gaiman is brilliant and worth a re-visit if you've bought them.

Cerebus by Dave Sim hasn't been mentioned yet, so I'll offer that title up.

It makes me wish I could draw.....

Comics now ... I read them as a kid! Archie, Superman, Richie Rich, Spiderman, Fantastic Four ... the list is enormous. I own the issue that the Spiderman movie was made from. I doubt it's worth anything, it's beat. I'm sure I had it folded in my back pocket as I ran around the back yard as a child.

My solution is to find a fan who loves something and let them suggest a title.

My Oh introduced me to the world of Graphic Novels and here are the ones i have loved:

The Dark Knight returns

The League of extraordinary gentlemen

The league of extraordinary gentlemen 2

From Hell

Watchmen

I love them and the art work and i want to read or buy more in the future as i love them

Guest fireball

Hi there fireball here.!:) Just a word or three, give or take, about Graphic Novels.! There's one lady I'd like to thank for mentioning some pretty interesting GNs,and that is kitty_kitty. Fair play old thing your friend's a good 'un. GNs, Graphic Novels are in a sense a comic (book) for grown-ups, there are as in books proper, bloody drop dead brilliant ones as there are crapola ones. There's a site I'd like to send anyone who's of the mind to expand themselfs and it is THIS.: http://www.tcj.com If live near a city North or South in old blighty, and there's a 'Forbidden Planet' near you,you can get the magazine of The Comis Journal. Well then your away.

Comics Journal is if you like a cross between The Guardian books review and or The Indie books review, only it deals with both comics, yes those rather peculiar chaps, (there usually blokes,!!! scared.gif) the odd woman or so, and of course Graphic Novels, brill ones and bloodyawfull ones, and there's interviews too nice one.

No, I'm not a writer for it or even contributor either, I just get every month.!

I'm a nerd1.gif and a booka :friends0: oholic too.

Over to you ladies.08.gif:)

Guest fireball

*shhhhhh* Mum's the word then I shan't tell Gary he's (at last?) famous. :friends0: Glad you know of TCJ, its not at all a bad read either!:) Thanks Aimz.

I bought a comic today for the first time in years: scanning the Guardian website, I discovered that Joss Whedon has written the 'eighth' series of Buffy the Vampire Slayer... but as a monthly comic!

I was so excited, I pratically flew out of the fire escape at work :friends0: So I trotted into town and got my mittened hands on the first issue (out last week).

Sooooo looking forward to reading it!

Guest fireball

OH God.! More mangling of the English language then.?:) :) :lol: :lol:

Must say that it was a pretty good show been thinking of buying the DVD set, for some reason though I haven't got around to it yet, too busy buying books and reading 'em. I wager.! :friends0: