The Raven Queen by Jules Watson

Booknutt

The latest "baby" of Jules Watson has just now been published, and, as a fan of hers I had it on pre-order at Amazon. Receiving it early is a bit of a two-edged sword though, as I can't allow myself to actually start it for a few days yet, my schedule being a bit busy till then. :(

So - if any other fans of this talented novelist out there are about to buy or read this story of Maeve, ancient Irish Queen (based on fact, but with lots of imaginaton added, as Jules herself admits) come back and let me know what you think, won't you?

I've loved Jules' earlier stuff of "The White Mare" series, and especially liked her "Swan Maiden" - based on another Irish legend of Deirdre, "the Irish Helen of Troy" which took us into the "other world" as we call it ... and I loved it, there!

The Raven Queen may be a little more down-to-earth as this heroine becomes a warrior, but magic was a natural part of life back then, and the promise of this latest book is good.

I'm really looking forward to a day or two of submerging myself :readingtwo: among the pages, with only needful "normal" stuff to do. :)

Edited by Booknutt

Well - I got as far as the first few chapter last night, and already am living Maeve's so-far quite distressing life with her.

Her father's favourite child until she "started to develop breasts" (a quote) she was traded off at the age of 12 to a neighbouring king, who raped her until she produced a child, who (obviously a boy) was taken away from her. Her father then took her back again, and again traded her off to a second neighbour who did the same, this time with no results, until once again she was reclaimed by her father and married off to a third neighbouring king, Conor of the Ulaid.

By this time Maeve was in her mid twenties and had had enough - she ran away and back to her father's "care" and her aggressive bullying brother, where she had to fight for survival among her "nearest and dearest" till her father died.

This is as far as I've got so far, and I don't blame Maeve at all for becoming the warrior "Raven Queen"! The only reassuring relationship she has is with Garvan, who treats her like a person, and not a commodity for barter, or a sister to terrorise.

I've also been introduced to Ruan, a druid, who in not saving the life of a favoured child, has been blinded as punishment, (a little harsh, I have to say) and taken in by the Sidhe (shee) the Fairy Folk of the land.

As usual with Jules Watson the magical mystical passages of her work are beautiful, and a timely distraction from the grimness and aggression of Maeve's own story so far (I do hope things get better for her soon!)

The weekend, more :readingtwo: and a large bar of chocolate await! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Jules Watson is in danger of eclipsing Barbara Erskine as my favourite authoress - it's fortunate that the fantastic work of Jules is focused completely in the past, while B.E. switches between past and present, or it would be a real problem for me to choose! :D

My first journey through this fantastic novel is at an end - always a sad time when I've been so gripped, but "all good things ..." I suppose.

Despite the rather grim start for both our main characters, following them through their individual spiritual and physical journeys came to be a joy - the difficult to put down stage, that we all know and love to hate.

With apologies to Ros Ruadh (the child-bride Maeve's first rapist husband) the baby she had taken away from her was a girl. Another much loved daughter - until she too would be old enough to barter off, no doubt. Fortunately, before that time, Finn took hold of her own fate, and joined her mother, giving both of them a second chance at a more successful mother/daughter relationship, and by the end of the story Finn and her husband had taken over the leadership of the people, while Maeve and Ruan retired to a peaceful life together, on the shores of Lough Erne.

Very few actual facts are known about this history, but I like to hope that things turned out as the authoress has planned. It's the least these two spiritual warriors deserve.

Along the way, Maeve grows from a frightened abused child, to a more confident and focused woman, growing in spirit - in all respects - with the help of Ruan, who also (with the help of the Sidhe - the fairy folk in other words) becomes greatly changed from his younger self, and a vital support to Maeve.

I think my favourite passage in the book is about halfway, where Ruan connects with All That Is (or God/Spirit/Source) and uses his connection to find, energise, and prepare healing herbs to bring a seriously wounded Maeve back to health. A wonderful act of love - and the true start (for me) of the "romance" angle of their relationship. Previously to that, they'd just ... umm ... used each other for physical relief. :wink:

Obviously - this is a book that needs to be read again, and again. There is so much here to enjoy, and so much for us to learn too, if we choose to accept it. The passages describing the spiritual experiences of this couple are fantastic, magical, wonderful - boring-old words can't really do them justice!

Or - if you'd rather just read it as a fictional historical romance - you'll enjoy that, too.

This is a book that can be lived, alongside the characters.

See what you think - and come and let it all flow, here.

• 10 months later...

Crikey - I really drew y'all in with the posts above, didn't I? :D - Not!!

Surely someone else has read "Raven Queen"? Or even "Swan Maiden" the previous offering of Jules?

I'm actually looking forward to whatever comes flowing from this gifted lady next - but as I like to read at least two books at a time (to "ring the changes") I quite fancy living "Raven Queen" again, it's always a pleasure to re-visit a loved story. Plus - it's a refreshing change from my current :readingtwo: of "A Tale of To Cities" :smile:

I know you're out there Watson-lovers - come and talk :typing:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hiya 'Nine!! :friends0: and a Big Welcome to the topic! :D

Gosh, I'm so excited to actually talk to another Earthling ... :smile:

Jules Watson is a fairly new find of mine (just a few years of fandom, that is) but I loved her books from the start, and I hope you enjoy her stuff, too.

There's also her "White Mare" series (set in the same era) which is not as deeply mystical, but very absorbing also.

Come back and chat 'Nine, even if you find you don't like them - it's O.K. not to, though I may set myself to persuading you. ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello out there ... ?

Anyone read "The Raven Queen" or the previous "Swan Maiden" recently? Or the "White Mare" series of even earlier?

We're not too proud here to discuss any of the novels of Jules Watson. :smile:

Jules is currently writing again, but it's on an alternative theme to the Celtic-times ones of so far, which is a shame I think - but the new book is bound to be just as good as her others.

Meantime - come and chat here, about any of her so-far books :welcome2: