"There will be only one left" books

Sheeta

I didn't really know how to write it, but "There will be only one left" books seemed accurate. :D

So I'm talking about books that tell stories about a group of people who have to kill the others (directly or not), and to be more understandable I can give you two examples:

Battle Royale by Koushun Kagami

The Long Walk by Richard Bachman/Stephen King

I'm currently reading The Long Walk, and it gives me some chills, I must admit (and I'm not talking about the terrible pain I feel in my feets thanks to it :lol: ). So I thought: "Why do I reeeally like books like that?". As one character of The Long Walk says: "It's just sick.".

Do you think that readers like me like to read stories about suffering and stuff? And do you enjoy these books? (I must add that I've only read two books of this kind, I'm not a psychopath ! :giggle2: )

Of course, because it's the aim of these books, be careful about giving the end only in the Spoilers hide-out!

[ :lurker: And do you have other titles? ]

I would highly recommend Suzanne Collin's Hunger Games trilogy, which is truly excellent.

I think these types of books are fascinating because they provide a great insight into human nature. There is nowhere for the character to hide (literally and metaphorically) so they have to be themselves and show their true colours.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sheeta, The Maze Runner Trilogy by James Dashner :) There are two book released at the moment and the third book is due for release on the 11th October 2011 :) Its a large group of teenagers trying to survive trials ran by an unknown author, great story :)

I'm noting all your titles, because soon I'll go to London (where books are waaaaay cheaper than in France!) so I will buy what I'll find! :D

I remember a French show (a FAKE show) where there was a famous TV celebrity, and she was encouraging random people to do a game: they had to answer questions, and if they were wrong they had the choice to continue and send an electric shock to a man they couldn't see (but he wasn't receiving the shocks, obviously), or to end the game with absolutely no problem, they would'nt be killed or something like that. And just because the girl was saying "it's alright, go on", they ended up sending lethal electric shocks (200 V or so), never thinking it was bad if the man wasn't screaming with suffering anymore.

It's not really a "there will be only one left" story, but that asked the question: "Am I better than these persons, would I have quit the game?"