Any genuinely weird and disturbing book recommendations

Hi all

Can anyone recommend some genuine disturing, weird, horrific books. I am thinking HOUSE OF LEAVES, AMERICAN PSYCHO, HAUNTED [Palahniuk] (in parts). Not really after the Laymons, Herbert, King recommendations.

Anything you could pass on would be appreciated.

Best wishes, Lee

Would you wish for fictional titles only or would you also read non-fiction?

The ones that come to mind are:

Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

Under the Skin by Michel Faber

Exquisite Corpse by Poppy Z. Brite

Running with Scissors and Wolf at the Table by Augusten Burroughs (these are memoirs)

Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi (it's about Charles Manson and his family)

A Stranger Beside Me by Ann Rule (about Ted Bundy)

A Stranger in the Family by Steven Naifeh & Gregory White Smith (about Richard Daniel Starrett)

Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach (a book about what happens to human cadavers after we die)

Edited by frankie

If you like the truly wierd try Maldoror by Lautreamont. Published in 1868 two years before the author's death at the age of 24. It is surrealist before the word was coined and makes American Psycho look like Winnie the Pooh. A truly strange book.

• 3 weeks later...

Not really sure that this counts, but the last book I remember reading which I described as "disturbing" was We Need To Talk About Kevin...

I second We Need To Talk About Kevin. Wasp Factory was a good read but not overly disturbing in my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

You could try Angela Carters 'The Bloody Chamber', it definitely is quite disturbing and weird and contains quite a few taboo topics. It's a series of short stories that give a very different view on the traditional fairy tale.