1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die - challenge

frankie

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally read A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens, reaching 94 read books on this challenge. 100 read books seems almost reachable at the moment :D I think I might look into the list a bit more closely to see if I could read more off it in the near future, it would be pretty sweet to get the 100 books read by the end of the year.

Since my last update ive read

• Around the World in Eighty Days - Jules Verne
  • Dracula - Bram Stoker
  • Gone With The Wind - Margaret Mitchell

Great progress! And great reads, Gone with the Wind is superb and I really liked Dracula as well :)

I'm just about to start reading 'Don Quixote' by Cervantes

I'll be interested in hearing how you get along with this, for me it's one of those intimidating sounding classics for some reason :)

I'll be interested in hearing how you get along with this, for me it's one of those intimidating sounding classics for some reason :)

Well I haven't got too far into this book yet, but what I have read, I have enjoyed.. It's actually quite amusing which I wasn't expecting. So far, so good!

Well I haven't got too far into this book yet, but what I have read, I have enjoyed.. It's actually quite amusing which I wasn't expecting. So far, so good!

That sounds promising, I wouldn't have expected it to be amusing, either. Now I'm anticipating your final thoughts on the book even more, if you end up enjoying the novel all the way through you might actually convince me to give it a try! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the update to the 2012 edition of the book (well, what I know of it so far):

There are now 1305 unique books across all four lists. :)

Added:

Julian Barnes Sense of an Ending (TBR)

Jennifer Egan A Visit from the Goon Squad (TBR)

Jeffrey Eugenides The Marriage Plot (TBR)

Jonathan Franzen Freedom (Wish)

Arthur Golden Memoirs of a Geisha (TBR)

Chad Harbach The Art of Fielding

Nicole Kraus The History of Love

Lorrie Moore A Gate at the Stairs

Haruki Murakami 1Q84 (TBR)

Philip Roth Nemesis

Jose Saramago Cain

Ali Smith There But for the

Removed:

Pat Barker The Ghost Road (TBR)

Haruki Murakami Kafka on the Shore (TBR)

Thanks Kylie for posting!

Thoughts on the additions/removals? I like it that they've added another Murakami on the list, however I'm as equally disgusted that they removed one off the list, too!

I'm a bit surprised by the Jennifer Egan novel. I think I have a wrong notion of the novel, I thought it would be and 'easier' novel. I'll just have to read it, fortunately I own a copy.

I'm happy to see the Eugenides title there, I loved Middlesex and I have high expectations of the new novel eventhough I was disappointed with Virgin Suicides.

I haven't read any Franzen novels yet, but for some reason I believe I shall like his novels. So the Freedom novel is a welcome addition in my opinion.

I haven't heard of the other titles or I've not at least formed any opinions on them yet.

I'm quite happy that they have added Memoirs of a Geisha as this is one of my all time favourite books!

Hehe, I remember you singing this book's praises a few times :D I'm also happy, because I've still yet to read the book. Although I'm personally doing the 2006 challenge because that's the edition I own.

Hehe, I remember you singing this book's praises a few times :D I'm also happy, because I've still yet to read the book. Although I'm personally doing the 2006 challenge because that's the edition I own.

hehe i think i should get shares in it :P I'm doing the 2006 book (i think!) too as thats the first list i got and want to stick to just the one!

I'm using the app which is no longer available (grr) which has all three lists. I'm currently on 24 read!! But I have read 12 so far this year, so I've actually doubled my tally since January.

I've only read Memoirs of a Geisha from the additions.

Thoughts on the additions/removals? I like it that they've added another Murakami on the list, however I'm as equally disgusted that they removed one off the list, too!

Ahhaha, sucked in! I just bought another copy of Kafka on the Shore today, for 50cnt only. Just for the hell of it! (And because the edition matches with my other Murakami novels, which my previous copy unfortunately didn't).

In your face, 2012 edition! :P

:giggle2:

I'm using the app which is no longer available (grr) which has all three lists. I'm currently on 24 read!! But I have read 12 so far this year, so I've actually doubled my tally since January.

I've only read Memoirs of a Geisha from the additions.

12 books off the list so far this year, that's well over one book a month! Great going, Alexistar :smile2:

• 2 months later...

A post from arukuyomi on LibraryThing suggests that the app will become available again sometime in the next three months.

I'm sure a lot of people will be happy about that :)

So, folks, do you have any New Years resolutions re: the 1001 Books challenge? I'm thinking I'd love to make it to 100 books read off the list. That's (I can't remember the exact number, so it's give or take a few titles) 9 books for me!

I have a target pretty equal to yours, Alexi and Brian. Do you have any special books in mind for reading?

It's been a rather long while since we did a group reading. I think the last we did was the Amy Tan book, The Opposite of Faith. I never finished it, I was only a 50 pages or so short, but I really liked everything I'd read so far...

I've sort of decided that I want to read Moby-Dick in 2013, and I'm rather certain it's on the list.

Edit: And now that I think about it, The Opposite of Faith was probably on the Rory list... :blush: :blush: :lol:

I'd like to read the Life of Pi pretty soon because I can't see the film until I have read the book and everyone is going on about it! I also have a Tolstoy novella on the TBR pile that I think I'd like to tackle this year :)

Have decided not to work on this list this year: there are simply too many that I just don't want to read, and too many not on the list that I do!! I'm also increasingly sceptical of the recent books: there are far too many that look decidedly transient. The only lists I'm going to keep are (a) a list of classics to read and (b) a list of doorstopper (500+ pages) non-fictions that I want to catch up on, having left them sitting on the shelves too much the past couple of years. I'll keep in touch with the thread, and will probably find myself totting up every now and again though (am currently on 111 of the original list and 117 of the 1305, FWIW)! In the meantime, good luck to all those looking to build their totals up this year!

I'd like to read the Life of Pi pretty soon because I can't see the film until I have read the book and everyone is going on about it! I also have a Tolstoy novella on the TBR pile that I think I'd like to tackle this year :)

Ah yes, it would make sense to read Life of Pi now. I don't really know why but I'm really sceptical about that book, I fear I won't like it much. I know a lot of people have liked it, though, so I'm hoping you'll be one of them, Alexi :smile2:

Have decided not to work on this list this year: there are simply too many that I just don't want to read, and too many not on the list that I do!! I'm also increasingly sceptical of the recent books: there are far too many that look decidedly transient. The only lists I'm going to keep are (a) a list of classics to read and (b) a list of doorstopper (500+ pages) non-fictions that I want to catch up on, having left them sitting on the shelves too much the past couple of years. I'll keep in touch with the thread, and will probably find myself totting up every now and again though (am currently on 111 of the original list and 117 of the 1305, FWIW)! In the meantime, good luck to all those looking to build their totals up this year!

I know what you mean about the recent books, and I have a feeling that's the part of the list that's going to be changing the most with each new edition of the book. :rolleyes: I've decided not to focus on them, but rather to go ahead with the older titles that are a lot more likely to stay on the list.

Thanks for the well wishes, you're always welcome back to join on the challenge if you change your mind, don't be a stranger :)