1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die - challenge

frankie

Great progress, Brian! :) Have you read anything else by Christopher Isherwood? I forget :blush: I believe he also wrote A Single Man, which my friend's recommended to me. I tried watching the movie, and eventhough Colin Firth was the male lead, I didn't like the movie at all :(

Your review on the Kundera book was great, it actually made me interested in the book :)

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On my holidays I came across this book (1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die) and I bought it. I look forward to going through it and seeing if there's any books in there I might want to read. I should also go read all 13 pages of this thread XD.

On my holidays I came across this book (1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die) and I bought it. I look forward to going through it and seeing if there's any books in there I might want to read. I should also go read all 13 pages of this thread XD.

Cool! :smile2: Which edition did you get?

This is the source of a lot of my book purchases, there are some fantastic suggestions in there.

• 1 month later...

Athena

Isn't that the coolest book ? I've only gotten to see one that I borrowed from our library. I like how it's set up with all the books and authors divided up and the colorful pictures .

It's got LOTS of good books listed . I don't think I'll attempt that one . When you are my age, a goal like 1001 books ( and I read about one per month lately if I'm lucky) , would be pert near impossible.

I envy all you younger folks who read fast . 1001 books could definitely be accomplished .

That's great to hear, frankie! I haven't actually read a lot of books from this list, though I have some on my TBR. I plan to go through the book at some point and select which ones interest me, then put them on the wishlist.

I'm sure you'll be adding loads of books to your wishlist :)

Julie: They keep publishing new editions of the book and they take some books off the list and add others. So it's an ever changing quest, and I don't really think I'll ever get them all read :D If that's any consolation...

Athena

Isn't that the coolest book ? I've only gotten to see one that I borrowed from our library. I like how it's set up with all the books and authors divided up and the colorful pictures .

It's got LOTS of good books listed . I don't think I'll attempt that one . When you are my age, a goal like 1001 books ( and I read about one per month lately if I'm lucky) , would be pert near impossible.

I envy all you younger folks who read fast . 1001 books could definitely be accomplished .

x

I agree, it's a very beautiful nice book :). I understand, I think if I felt I didn't read so fast I'd envy fast readers too. I think I'm very lucky, ever since I could read I've been able to read really fast. I hope you enjoy the books you read, regardless of speed :).

Edited by Athena

• 1 month later...

I recently finished In Cold Blood by Truman Capote, which takes me up to 9 read this year (I, for reasons that seemed logical when starting but I am not so sure now ;) ) am working from the combined list. 

I set myself a target of 10 this year, so I have two months to find another one to read (I have a good number on my TBR!). 

Alexi

That's a good idea if you set a goal of a certain number per year from the "1001" list. That way you are slowly chipping away at it . It'll be an ever-growing list if they keep changing up the book every year or 2, and adding or removing books .

Most of you in here ( I think ) are quite a lot younger than me, so you have more years to devote to a list that big . It'd help if my reading speed was what it used to be . In my younger days, I could read a book and multi-task several other things at once . Now it takes all my concentration to read. I need total quiet, and it takes a lot longer than it once did to complete a book .

I guess I'm looking at it with a poor attitude . Is it possible for me to get a copy of the 1001 book and read every book in it, before I go to that Final Reward ( or Final Punishment) :):(

I guess so . ...

Anyhow, how did you like Truman ? He's one of my favorites ,so I'm always excited when someone reads one of his books .

Thanks guys :)

I really, really enjoyed In Cold Blood. Capote was wonderful at reconstructing a true crime and making you feel like you were actually watching the action. In a weird way, he also made me feel sympathetic to the killers - before I made myself keep remembering they were vicious killers!

Interesting that it was recently tried (again) to link them to the Florida murders around the same time too.

If I ever get around to a full review (2014 Resolution is to be better!) I would mark it a 5/5.

Frankie - I've been eyeing A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens as a pre-Christmas read. But I have loads to choose from! I'm now on a total of just 36 read. I need to be reading 20 a year according to the app to complete it but too many books, too little time :D

I loved Cold Blood too.  It's a great book.  I much preferred it to Breakfast at Tiffany's:)

Frankie - I've been eyeing A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens as a pre-Christmas read. But I have loads to choose from! I'm now on a total of just 36 read. I need to be reading 20 a year according to the app to complete it but too many books, too little time :D

Do it, do it, do it, do it, do it!  :D   :giggle2:

It's such a fantastic pre-Christmas book to read.  I'm very much looking forward to my annual re-read in December!  (Plus it's quite short, so it's a good choice for a busy month!

ETA: I need to read 36 books a year to finish that challenge! :(  :thud:  :giggle:

Edited by Janet

Alexi

Yes, I know what you mean .The way Truman writes the book, you have such a sense of dread in the beginning. You KNOW something horrible is going to happen to that poor family, and you are just shouting in your head for them to RUN !!! Get out of the house !!

You know the guys who needlessly destroyed their family are BAD GUYS , yet Truman makes you feel sympathetic towards them in a way . You know you shouldn't be, but you can't help it .

Janet

Have you given The Grass Harp a go ? That's the book of his I always like to compare to In Cold Blood .. they are both so very different, you cannot imagine a writer who could swing so far in each direction as he does .

PS - Hate to hear how you guys have charted out the number of years it'd take to fulfill the 1001 list. I think it'd be best if I'd count mine in DOG years . That way, it might sound like a goal I could achieve .

I loved Cold Blood too. It's a great book. I much preferred it to Breakfast at Tiffany's! :)

x

Me too! I'm glad you enjoyed it, Alexi!

x

x

I've been eyeing it too! I plan on starting with a lighter read but if I get around to it I might finally read it. I hope you enjoy it if/when you read it :).

So glad you enjoyed In Cold Blood, Alexi. It's one of my faves. :)A Christmas Carol is a glorious read. I'd like to read it every year but I usually run out of time.

Julie, I have a spreadsheet set up by someone who did a formula. If you enter your age and country, it calculates the number based on your life expectancy and how many of the 1001 books you've read. If you know (even roughly) how many books you've read, you could PM me your details and I'd be happy to work it out for you.

Julie, I have a spreadsheet set up by someone who did a formula. If you enter your age and country, it calculates the number based on your life expectancy and how many of the 1001 books you've read. If you know (even roughly) how many books you've read, you could PM me your details and I'd be happy to work it out for you.

Oooooh I wanna do that! Could you do that for me please?? :blush: Do it before my Birthday, please? :D I've read 102 books.

So glad you enjoyed In Cold Blood, Alexi. It's one of my faves. :)A Christmas Carol is a glorious read. I'd like to read it every year but I usually run out of time.

Kylie

Thank you for the offer . I'll see if they have the book in over at the library ,as I don't have one of my own . Then I will count the number of books I have read . ( Maybe the list is online someplace if the book isn't in ) ? 

As for life expectancy, I'm not sure how I'd gauge that . Do you just kinda guess at it, like for the average person, this is how long you will live ?

Anyhow, I'll get back to you this morning with it -- getting ready to run some errands ,then will be home shortly . Thank you so much ! It's very kind of you .

I also preferred In Cold Blood to Breakfast at Tiffany's! By quite a margin actually - I think I rated the latter as a 3/5 although I would have to check.

Over 100 is good going Frankie!

There are so many books on the list I want to read it will be a few years before I start to get to the ones I'm not keen on/have never heard of.

Dracula is another up for consideration, or Trainspotting, but I think you've sold me on A Christmas Carol :D