How do you keep your books?

Hyzenthlay

Hi All, We have a large bookshelf at the top of the stairs, and two large cupboards giving up space to store more books, along with about twenty cookery books in the kitchen, and other books here there and everywhere. We have a problem in our house, all three of us are readers, when it comes to getting out a bag to fill with books to go to charity its quite comical, one person puts their book in it another takes it out to go on to their 'to read' pile!

I did think about buying a Kindle but I am really old fashioned and love holding books, turning the pages etc, plus I have never had the batteries run out on a paperback!

Happy reading and storing all!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem being a student, I find it hard to keep track of the books I have in my accommodation and my house, but my general rule is : my favourite books on my bookshelf at home, books I haven't read yet I just stand up on my cupboard, books I don't want to throw away but probably won't read any time soon (like childrens books) in boxes under my bed, books for studying I either leave on my bookshelf at uni or if I need to bring them home I try to keep them in the bag I brought them home in and for any other books I use the top of my wardrobe as a sort of big shelf :)

• 2 weeks later...

I keep them in my closest with the rest of my skeletons. Though some of the older ones reside in my parents attic, I just left them there after I moved out. I sometimes like to look at the books I've read and sigh in satisfaction of having read that many. :)

Fascinating thread! I'm especially interested (and comforted) to read that so many people seem to have similar storage problems!

Most of our books are in a large bedroom that has been converted to a work room with eight IKEA Billy bookcases around two sides. That accounts for fiction, history, science and the arts. Biographies are in another bookcase on the landing. Travel and natural history is in our bedroom. Essays, journalism, and books about books are in the spare room (not very spare!). Cooking (surprise, surprise) is in the kitchen. Excess paperback fiction is stored in boxes under our desks and beds, but there are still various piles scattered around the house! I've started using a Kindle to try and keep the volume down, which is fine, but like others on here just love the feel of a 'real' book. We do cull occasionally, but have to admit I hate doing so. However, I do have a marriage to maintain, and whilst OH loves reading too, she's not quite as enthusiastic about my squirreling habits!

Well, first of all I have books practically everywhere I can in my bedroom; any spot where I can find space, like many that suffer from similar storage problems on here. I have three long shelves across one of my walls, which houses the majority of my books, then on my window-ledge I have about twenty or so that fit between some nice book-ends I have. At the end of my bed where my television used to sit, I have stacked possibly around sixty books in a strange manner so that they all fit on but in a way that I can almost see all the titles without moving anything else around. Underneath my bed in my cupboard, I have another thirty or so books in two rows. Next to my bed I have three small shelves that that are packed through with another thirty or so titles. Alas, I'm out of room and have around five - as of yet - recent purchases stacked up against my wardrobe, on the floor at the moment. It's hopeless I tell you; utterly hopeless. :mellow:

Edited by Ben

I keep my series all together on the one shelves and then once the series has finished, they get moved to the bottom shelf. My hardback books and books I'm keeping are on the second shelves, the rest of the books are on the rest of the shelves. :)

Underneath my bed in my cupboard, I have another thirty or so books in two rows.

I approve of your Rory-like book behaviour. :cool:

Ben, clearly you need to start expanding through the rest of the house. :wink:

I have a big bookcase in my living room.....a slightly smaller one in my dining room....and a tall slim one in my bedroom for...erm....books I prefer to keep a bit more hidden :giggle2::blush:

also a small stack on the floor in front of the big bookcase....and a small stack on the floor next the dining room one...I need more bookcases!!

There are bookshelves in every room in our house except the loo! We would have more book shelves if we had more room too I am sure...:D

I have a book shelve in my room. I always put the book in it. I arrange the book by alphabetic so I can find my book very easily. there are different section in my book shelve. I mean comic section, horror section, spiritual section,etc.I always clean my book shelve everyday. and I care of my books very well.

Hello,

I also used to never let go of books, but that all changed when moving years ago and I realised I couldn't take all the books. I gave hundreds to charity before the move. Recently I've given more to charity. There are always going to be some books I keep and devour again. I keep my books on a bookcase accompanied by too many national geographics and bbc history magazines. I also have a comic collection, but those are kept in storage boxes.

I am thinking about buying a kindle soon though, which will enable me to further reduce my paperbacks. Though I quite like a paperback, but appreciate buying the ebook version will enable to free up more space at home.

I like how Bethany lines her books along the windows. Sounds great.

All the best

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

I have one very overstuffed bookshelf, six cardboard boxes packed full, several shopping bags full under the bed and numerous piles around the house and my childhood books are stored in a very large pine box. I need a bigger house!

God bless the libraries! Not only that it's cheaper to lend them, but it reduces the problem of storing the books significantly. But I will soon be getting the same problem! A small flat and not enough room for bookshelves, let alone all the other things you have to store.

• 2 weeks later...

Like a lot of readers, I don't like to part with books, so I keep mine in bookcases and in clear boxes up the loft.

I tend to rotate my booksfrom the loft to the shelves and I drive my hubby crazy by making him go up the loft every 3/4 months. :D :D

• 6 months later...

I have a bookshelf in the lounge that stores my favourite authors series - Raymond E. Feist (all books up to current), two of Robin Hobbs series and John Marsden's Tomorrow series. I have them set up by author and reading order, which is no easy task with Raymond E. Feists books haha. I have a list next to them that says which book is in which saga, and if it's essential to the main story or not.

I also have a shelf in my gaming room with more books, some of which are TBR, but I hope to restore my spare room as a library once my sister moves on, she is currently in between houses. Without counting I think I would have 100 or so books.

From top left to bottom right of my book shelves, History top, followed by A-Z by author of fiction, followed by a nice little astrophysics and Astronomy section I'm building up bottom right, then some biographies and lastly a few books people have leant me (that I will probably never read!)

I used to have a huge CD and DVD collection but after the 'download revolution', they all got ebay'd off and now its all on a hard drive. I miss the connection you have with an album though, I enjoyed reading the inlays and the art work, the tactile experience of possessing it. I'm toying with buying back my favourite albums on vinyl (except the price has gone through the roof). Anyway I'm not going down the kindle route with books that was my point :)

• 1 month later...

I have 6 shelves for myself(and some other books that are boooooring)and I just put all the bigs together and the top shelves tight so I go from up to down and on the very bottom shelf I keep the books that I am GOING TO read then when I finish a book it goes with the last book I read on the top shelf.

All my dear books are at my mums - some in bookshelves and some in boxes.

My partner and I lead nomadic lives - keep moving every year or so to a new location - and our house is essentially minimalistic.

I usually keep around 6 to 8 books with me - and then deposit them at my mums when I visit her next - and get a new batch.

(Since joining this forum, I've a sudden craving to get all my books over - but I'm scared of the work involved in transporting them each time!)

• 1 month later...

Three walls of my study are lined with floor to ceiling bookshelves, it is here where I house the majority of my book collection. I periodically rummage through my books, and those that have not been reread in some time (and are not likely to be) are relegated to archive boxes stacked in a built-in robe in a spare room.

My 'currently reading' pile are kept in my bedside drawer...for easy bedtime reading access, of course. :D As is the short list of my TBRs.

The left corner of my desk in my study is home to my research and study books. The stack appears to be growing ever higher; breeding like rabbits methinks. :(