How many books a week / month / year?

honestfi

If you have a fairly consistent reading habit, how many do you read in a week?

Yes, it depends upon word length and readability of novel, let's just say the fairly standard 100,000 word length. If I'm not off work - I don't take books to work (my workplace isn't really the kind of place you can find somewhere to settle) - I only read just before going to sleep. I average 1.5-2 books a week. On holiday, if I don't go out, I sometimes read for 2-3 hours a day, sometimes more if I have nothing better to do.:D I average 3-4 books a week under those circs. Suppose I am above average when it comes to speed. And, yeah, I can have an intelligent conversation about said book, I haven't just got "the gist" of it.

How 'bout yous out there? :D

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it depends what I've got going on and how good the book is. A few weeks ago I read all 9 of Charlaine Harris's Southern Vampire Mysteries in about 10 days, but this isn't normal....I just couldn't put them down! :D

If I haven't got a lot going on I can read a book in about 2-3 days. If I've got uni & work etc it can take 2-3 weeks.

I think it depends what I've got going on and how good the book is. A few weeks ago I read all 9 of Charlaine Harris's Southern Vampire Mysteries in about 10 days, but this isn't normal....I just couldn't put them down! :D

That pretty much sums up my reading as well. I've had some weeks this year when I've read 10 books (lightweight, frothy, pure entertainment including some re-reads) and other weeks where I've read just 1 book. Looking at this year, I've read 110 books so far, which is just over 3 books per week on average, which I think it about normal for me.

If I manage to get a lunch break at work then I'll read during that and a lot at weekends, but I don't read in bed (unless it's a re-read), and I don't generally read a lot during the evening. Holidays are a different matter - I'll read for at least four to five hours a day, and can easily become engrossed in a book and read it in one sitting, so will finish a book a day on average.

Due to life, the universe and being trained at university in the art of close reading I've gone from an average of 1 or 2 long (400pp+) / 3 or 4 short (200pp+) books a week to an average of 1/8 of a single 400+ book a week.

Yes, it takes me about two months to read a book these days, not just because I've only got the time read on noisy peak-time buses, but also because I'm unable to read without a cereal packet without considering the implications of every word and punctuation mark. Words and punctuation marks that aren't there are the subject of even more speculation ("I wonder why Mr. Kellog chose not to use this particular word here...").

With what my TBR (30+) and wishlist (200+) are like, this state of affairs depresses me.

Due to life, the universe and being trained at university in the art of close reading I've gone from an average of 1 or 2 long (400pp+) / 3 or 4 short (200pp+) books a week to an average of 1/8 of a single 400+ book a week.

Yes, it takes me about two months to read a book these days, not just because I've only got the time read on noisy peak-time buses, but also because I'm unable to read without a cereal packet without considering the implications of every word and punctuation mark. Words and punctuation marks that aren't there are the subject of even more speculation ("I wonder why Mr. Kellog chose not to use this particular word here...").

With what my TBR (30+) and wishlist (200+) are like, this state of affairs depresses me.

Nah - I wouldn't let it. You probably can tell us more about the author than anyone else. Do you, perchance, know what your Myers-Briggs Personality Type Indicator is? I've got a small bet with myself if you do.:D

My second read of a novel is always slower than the first. It usually takes about double the amount of time. I find myself examining paragraphs, sentences, punctuation, grammar........

On average more than a book a week, but like others it varies completely. Some weeks I could go through upto a book-a-day or more, other weeks I'll go the whole week without reading anything.

My reading isn't that consistent either - sometimes I will read for several hours a day and get through a book or more a week, but more usually it takes several weeks, as like others have said, life is just too busy. On holiday it is different - I will get through a book every 2-3 days.

Nah - I wouldn't let it. You probably can tell us more about the author than anyone else. Do you, perchance, know what your Myers-Briggs Personality Type Indicator is? I've got a small bet with myself if you do.
INFJ :D can't really dispute that.

My second read of a novel is always slower than the first. It usually takes about double the amount of time. I find myself examining paragraphs, sentences, punctuation, grammar........

You see, this is what I do first time around. It wouldn't vex me if all books needed to be read this way; but the fact that I can't stop myself from analysing trash in the same way I'd analyse Dostoevskij doesn't feel right.

Like everyone else, it varies. On average I would say 1 book per week but I think it has picked up a bit lately so it's probably more like 2 books per week. I'm a slow reader though, so I could get through a lot more if I read more quickly!

I can't answer for sure because I'm a special type of reader.

I'm sure am not the only one, but I'm the one of the maniacs who read

many books (for me it's 6) at the same time, so depending on the

amount of free time I have, the number change.

I usually finish half of them before the end of the week.

I usually read at night too.

Insomnia Power!! :D

On average I read between 5 and 7 books a week, sometimes more & sometimes less. I only read this amount because I'm basically housebound and have nothing much to do, might as well be productive and read :D Also, I suffer from chronic insomnia so it's not unusual for me to be reading at 4am!

INFJ :lol: can't really dispute that.

**!!!**!!! nuts...had you down as INTJ - one out and I've just lost myself a chocolate button. :lol: :lol: I'm INTP if you're interested.

You see, this is what I do first time around. It wouldn't vex me if all books needed to be read this way; but the fact that I can't stop myself from analysing trash in the same way I'd analyse Dostoevskij doesn't feel right.

Each to his own, hey if you derive some sort of pleasure from this kind of analysis...maybe some authors would like to know how they measure up against Dostoevskij, you could devise your own "reading scale". :D

Edited by honestfi
ugh HTML, can't live with it, can't live with it!

I'm taking around a week to read a book these days. The only thing I used to enjoy when commuting (and believe me the ONLY thing) was being able to read roughly 40 minutes each way and I used to get through books like no-one's business. Now, I tend to read at lunchtime and I try to set myself an hour most evenings - TV, radio (and ironing) free - to read.

Looking forward to a holiday in a few weeks' time to catch up a bit more on the TBR pile.

Each to his own, hey if you derive some sort of pleasure from this kind of analysis...maybe some authors would like to know how they measure up against Dostoevskij, you could devise your own "reading scale".
That's the problem, hyper-analysis is only enjoyable (and even then, up to a point) in the case of Dostoevskij & Co., hence why it vexes me that my university-ruined brain will apply the method indiscriminately to all reading material at hand!

The Cambridge Footlights sketch in which Stephen Fry draws Hugh Laurie's attention to "Shakespeare's 'T' very much capitalised there" (the 'T' in question being the first letter of the first word of a sentence) made me chuckle with recognition... :lol:.

Any particular reason you had me down as INTJ :D?