Cuckoo by Julia Crouch

Michelle

Cuckoo tells the story of Rose, a woman who seems to have it all. She’s put a difficult past behind her, and has worked hard to build her perfect life. She has her husband, two children she adores, and the country house she’s always dreamed of.

This life is soon interrupted by a call from Greece, when her best friend Polly calls to say her husband has died. Rose immediately invites her to stay with them, against her own husband’s wishes, but has she made a big mistake?

Polly is obviously very troubled, and whilst they seem complete opposites, they obviously shared a troubled past, and there are very close ties.. although some of those ties appear to include subtle blackmail!

Rose’s life gradually falls apart.. her baby becomes ill, her husband becomes distant, then Rose herself falls ill. Just how much of this is being caused by Polly is unclear.. and for me, that’s the genius of this book. The whole story is told purely from Rose’s point of view, and we are never shown what others are truly doing or thinking. This means we share with her every step of her uncertainty, confusion, and growing fear.

Cuckoo is a dark, unsettling read. As Rose’s life spirals out of control, you share every step. It’s very hard to put down, and has stayed with me since finishing. It’s a brilliant debut, which is highly recommended.

• 1 year later...

I finished this yesterday and I am divided on how I feel about it. I thought it was gripping, I couldn't put it down, but it was far longer than it needed to be, and for me dragged in parts. Also, Rose seemed almost dense with how oblivious she was, I mean it was SO obvious what was happening, there's no way you'd sweep that much under the carpet, not even for a 'best friend'. I wasn't keen on the epilogue either. I enjoyed reading it, but it left me feeling really frustrated :giggle2:

• 3 months later...

This is on my TBR list. It's a book my mum kept and she only keeps ones that she really likes so she must of enjoyed it. My TBR list is pretty big though so I don't know when I'll get to it hahahaha this thread has made me want to read it sooner though!

• 5 weeks later...