Facial Expressions

Punkafoo

I did check to see if there was already a topic about this, but couldn't find one using the search.

When reading a book in public and you come to a funny or sad part of a book and you need to laugh or cry, do you just it or just try and keep to yourself so other people won't think your weird?

I thought ill ask because coming home on the bus I was reading my book and I cam to a really funny part and I just wanted to laugh, which I kinda did, I was smiling, but everytime I need to laugh I hid under my scarf just to have a little giggle.

Plus when I come to a really lovey dovey part in a story I kinda smile to myself and hide my face, but that mainly happens when I'm in front of my parents.

I don't think I've ever laughed out loud in public when I've been reading a book but I wouldn't mind people seeing me laugh & although I have got a bit teary eyed over something that's happened in a story I've always been lucky enough to be at home when reduced to tears as I don't think I'd like to cry in public. But if I saw someone else getting emotional while reading I'd probably want to know what book it was so I could get myself a copy so I guess it's good advertising :lol:

I laugh out loud too - and I'm certain I must pull funny faces. When texting, or typing on forums, I pull faces as I type - I sometimes catch myself doing it, so if I'm typing something I'm cross about, I suddenly realise that I'm frowning! :blush:

I usually can't help myself showing the emotions I'm feeling while reading, whether in public or in private, especially as when I try to hold back laughing I end up with an exploding splutter, and have to try and disguise it as a sneeze or a cough to make myself look less ridiculous. On the other hand, if I end up crying, I do try and limit myself to just tears (as opposed to sobbing which I might well do at home) and keep my back to people or my head down.

I remember reading Love Story at my desk at work [many decades ago] , and bursting into tears, and not being able to stop. This was a conservative law firm, but everyone was concerned and laughed a little at my being affected so by a book. Not unkindly, just relieved I guess that it was "only a book". :readingtwo:

I have laughed out loud, and I have a rather obvious laugh, no little giggles here. If someone doesn't like it.....too bad. :D

Edited by pontalba

It was quite funny reading about other facial expressions, I'm glad I'm not the only one who laugh, I've never cried though, never read anything too sad though, I felt upset about things or disgust with some characters. But I do love showing my expressions when reading as it just shows I'm enjoying it.

I have laughed out loud, and I have actually cried, but I mostly just consistently frown when I read.

Consistently frown? Are you not enjoying the books you've been reading, or are they books that stir up emotions of anger or sadness?

I think I've been fortunate enough to always be at home when I've been reading a sad book. It takes a lot to make me laugh out loud, but I will chuckle in public (although I try to restrain myself a little). I don't mind showing a bit of emotion. I've been smiling a lot during my current read. :)

I'm certain I must pull funny faces. When texting, or typing on forums, I pull faces as I type - I sometimes catch myself doing it :blush:

This made me think of someone sitting there with their tongue poking out the side of their mouth as they concentrated .....something which I wouldn't be surprised if I got caught doing myself :giggle2:

I'm sure I've laughed, guffawed,smiled, grinned, frowned while reading in public, but I don't think I've ever cried.

I react exactly as I would were I reading alone - LOL! It's got me some funny looks now and then, for example, when I was laughing at the darkly comic moments in American Psycho, or at parts of a book called How To Kill Your Husband And Other Handy Household Hints - I had to assure people it wasn't actually a manual. ;)

I can get downright rambunctious when I'm alone reading a book--sometimes even in public if I don't catch my gut reaction in time. I definitely get teary-eyed and laugh a lot at novels, but if a character is behaving in a way that I don't like, someone is being impractical/dumb, or if something unbelievable happens I have caught myself yelling at the book. Well, maybe not yelling, but definitely speaking quite loudly and with a good deal of force. I also frequently have to put books down in shock or in horror, depending on how awful/mortifying what has just happened is. Kind of the equivalent of covering my face during an embarrassing or unbearable scene in a movie. So yeah...I guess I definitely react visibly to books, hence why I try to read when no one else is around me.

This made me think of someone sitting there with their tongue poking out the side of their mouth as they concentrated

I actually have a friend that does this when she is focused on something. I worked with her as a cake decorator for a while and it was highly amusing to watch her icing cakes with an intense look in her eye while her tongue was poking out the side of her mouth. x)

Edited by Kasei

Consistently frown? Are you not enjoying the books you've been reading, or are they books that stir up emotions of anger or sadness?

No, I love all the books I read! But I don't read light fiction of any kind. No chick lit, nothing like that. I tend to read books that are fairly deep, sometimes dark, and at the very least thought-provoking. I'm usually concentrating pretty hard. Besides, I don't smile naturally...my relaxed face is kind of frown-y. :giggle2:

Besides, I don't smile naturally...my relaxed face is kind of frown-y. :giggle2:

Same with me! I'm sure most people think I'm a complete grump, but I can't help my face! :giggle:

Thanks for explaining the frown. :)

After thinking about it, I realize that I don't read often in public but when I'm alone I do make plenty of faces. I also laugh out loud quite often, which is my favorite thing to do :D. If I'm reading something intense or scary I do scowl, since I've had someone tell me that before.

hehe, I quite like showing my emotion when reading books, and the book I'm currently reading also brought a tear to my eye, so now I can say I've nearly cried at a book. I've never yelled or talked to a book out loud but I have in my thoughts.

Well I don't really hold back my emotions when reading in public, but I have to say the places I read at (work, school) are usually so busy that I can't help but be a little distracted and less involved in my book. So parts where I usually would have cried or laughed when at home, I don't when in public, because I don't feel as much when reading then.

At home, I am a total weirdo, I laugh, giggle, and most often cry when reading books. I'm a wimp, I cry often when reading, and with films, and just in general. ;)

I always try to hide my emotions while reading, especially while I'm in public, but it never works (:. I guess sometimes people might take me for a freak who laughs to himself while reading, but who cares [:

I will smile to myself if I am reading a funny or heartwarming scene in a book in public but wouldn't laugh out loud, as far as I can remember. I get distracted easily so I won't be fully concentrating on reading when reading in public.

I was reading my book on the bus the other day though, downstairs, at the back, in the middle seat and went to get off and the driver asked me if I was sad...I replied, 'erm no I'm fine thanks, just tired' and he said he had been watching me and noticed I looked quite sad sat at the back of the bus with my head down, little did he know I was reading my book not wallowing in self pity and I felt like saying thanks but please keep your eyes on the road, I want to live :giggle: but then he started a conversation about online shopping of all things...anyhoo I mostly look grumpy like Echo and Kylie said, as I'm trying to concentrate on the book and blocking everyone out and I rarely read light hearted books. :)

I do have a lovely memory of reading Jonathon Ross' book in the park the summer it came out, reading it out loud to my ex and we were laughing so hard at the pets chapter. :blush:

Edited by chrysalis_stage

I don't really read that much in public, as I find it quite hard to lose myself in a book when there are other people and things around to distract me. Mind you, when I was catching the train to work I used to read on the train, but I don't think I ever started crying/laughing because of what I was reading. I'd be too self-conscious. :blink:

I will smile to myself if I am reading a funny or heartwarming scene in a book in public but wouldn't laugh out loud, as far as I can remember. I get distracted easily so I won't be fully concentrating on reading when reading in public.

I was reading my book on the bus the other day though, downstairs, at the back, in the middle seat and went to get off and the driver asked me if I was sad...I replied, 'erm no I'm fine thanks, just tired' and he said he had been watching me and noticed I looked quite sad sat at the back of the bus with my head down, little did he know I was reading my book not wallowing in self pity and I felt like saying thanks but please keep your eyes on the road, I want to live :giggle: but then he started a conversation about online shopping of all things...anyhoo I mostly look grumpy like Echo and Kylie said, as I'm trying to concentrate on the book and blocking everyone out and I rarely read light hearted books. :)

I do have a lovely memory of reading Jonathon Ross' book in the park the summer it came out, reading it out loud to my ex and we were laughing so hard at the pets chapter. :blush:

I get people telling me to smile walking down the road, which annoys me because I'm not going to put on a big smile and look like a stupid idiot smiling to myself for no reason.

I don't really read that much in public, as I find it quite hard to lose myself in a book when there are other people and things around to distract me. Mind you, when I was catching the train to work I used to read on the train, but I don't think I ever started crying/laughing because of what I was reading. I'd be too self-conscious. :blink:

I'm too self conscious until I get my head in a book, I loose track of whats going on around me.

Edited by Punkafoo

I hardly ever have cause to read in public anymore. I don't use public transport. I am a terribly noisy reader though and also watcher of television. If my husband is sitting nearby he is constantly telling me to tone it down as his ear drums are about to burst from my excessively loud laughing.

I also have vocal tics when I'm falling asleep - I'm still awake but words just come out of my mouth. They are really random like "wheelbarrow". So sometimes if I am engrossed in a book the same thing happens. My mind is in that quiet trance-like state and the off switch on my mouth just fails and I start saying stuff aloud. When I'm reading it is words from the book.

Luckily I am not easily embarassed. :giggle2:

I totally over-share :D I will grin, chuckle, laugh hysterically at my book in public, just as I will not refrain from lip quivering, snivelling, or downright sobbing. I couldn't refrain from it if I wanted to, and to be honest I don't think I want to - I like being involved with my reading material at every level possible. Besides, it sure is good advertising for the work of an author who is clearly skilled enough to push my emotional buttons (some will say I'll cry at anything, but truth is I will willingly cry at what deserves to be cried at).

I also have vocal tics when I'm falling asleep - I'm still awake but words just come out of my mouth. They are really random like "wheelbarrow". So sometimes if I am engrossed in a book the same thing happens. My mind is in that quiet trance-like state and the off switch on my mouth just fails and I start saying stuff aloud. When I'm reading it is words from the book.

That's pretty funny ladymacbeth. One of your idiosycrancries no doubt your husband adores. :D

I totally over-share :D I will grin, chuckle, laugh hysterically at my book in public, just as I will not refrain from lip quivering, snivelling, or downright sobbing. I couldn't refrain from it if I wanted to, and to be honest I don't think I want to - I like being involved with my reading material at every level possible. Besides, it sure is good advertising for the work of an author who is clearly skilled enough to push my emotional buttons (some will say I'll cry at anything, but truth is I will willingly cry at what deserves to be cried at).

But did you ever get a book that so upset you that you couldn't continue reading Giulia ?

But did you ever get a book that so upset you that you couldn't continue reading Giulia?
On occasion, although that was more to do with personal sensitivity to the topic than authorial skill in pushing those emotional buttons. Unless other forces are at play, there's no way I would want to stop reading a book that is engaging me strongly enough to make me cry. Just as Tennyson postulated it better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all, I say better to have read and cried.