Dune Messiah

martymcfly3004

Hi guys, I was just wondering if anyone has read Dune Messiah, and if so, would they recommend it?

Dune is one of my favourite books and I don't want to ruin it plus I normally shy away from series of books and sequels.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Ta

I hope you enjoy it. I love Dune, fantastic book. I read Children of Dune and Dune Messiah as well but didn't think either of them matched up to the original, and didn't read any of the others that followed.

No, I don't think so. Put it this way, I re-read Dune last year and loved it every bit as much as I did the first time around, which was the best part of 30 years ago. Besides, I hope you really enjoy the sequels, they just weren't for me :)

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Dune Messiah yesterday. Its a difficult book to sum up. Its obviously very clever in its themes of religious fanaticism and politics but there didn't seem to be much of a plot. I think Messiah could have been half as long and tagged on the end of Dune to much better effect.

I think I would only recommend it for die hard Dune fans who are interested in what happens next.

• 1 year later...

I find that Dune, Dune Messiah & Children of Dune are one big story, and it is an awesome one. The God-Emperor of Dune is an inbetween story several thousend years later and shows the consequences of the choices made in the first trilogy. Then comes the second trilogy that is about the universe created after Leto's choice/decision in God Emperor. It is about the freedom created and yet a course set to the future. However the third book in that trilogy was never written due to Frank Herberts death and left DUne fans with a bloody great cliffhanger.

It was resolved by his Son and Kevin Anderson writing the ending in two books and they really infuriated me due to the sheer drop in quality and the outragious decision to milk the universe  further and thus telegraphing the ending way before. 

That said some of the books written by the two continuation writers has some good books, but none ever are able to touch the  level put down by its orginal creator Frank herbert.