Robert Jordan - Wheel of Time series

Debbie

Oh so that's the name of the last book - Memory of Light. sounds interesting.

i love this series. i was so sad when i heard that Robert Jordan died. I'm glad that there's someone who can finish it though, it would be a shame to leave it off unfinished.

Oh a piece of advice for anyone who hasn't read any of the books yet, Do Not start with the prequel it will make absolutely no sense. Oh and the encyclopedia The World of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time is definitely worth a look, it answers quite a few questions.

The Memory of Light is actually 3 books and the first of the three......"The Gathering Storm" has just been released. The review appears to be pretty good. I will probably order it on Amazon. Think I will also order Stephen King's latest epic.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I just recently picked up this series after the ranting and ravings of a friend who is totally into them. So far so good, though I've only just started book three. A lot of people complain about the slow pace, but I feel that a lot of character and world building makes the climactic scenes that much more intense because of all of the knowledge you have as a reader. To me it makes it more believable....but I dunno, everyone seems to think that the series lags a bit toward the end so we'll see if I still feel the same way when I'm on book 8.

I think this series is great but it kind of annoys me that the series always ends on a very high exciting note because it makes me want to automatically start the next book(which I tend to regret when I have to continue through another 300 pages of exposition.)

I just recently picked up this series after the ranting and ravings of a friend who is totally into them. So far so good, though I've only just started book three. A lot of people complain about the slow pace, but I feel that a lot of character and world building makes the climactic scenes that much more intense because of all of the knowledge you have as a reader. To me it makes it more believable....but I dunno, everyone seems to think that the series lags a bit toward the end so we'll see if I still feel the same way when I'm on book 8.

I'm on the Lord of Chaos now(Book 6) and the series really begins to branch out around the fourth book where all the main characters gain subplots and much less gets done.

• 4 weeks later...

I think I've gotten about halfway in this series, then got bored with it since I read all of them back to back, and when I wanted to pick them up I couldn't remember a lot of it. I am starting the books again soon though, and now, I am reading them in English, whereas before I read them translated to Dutch. My brother gave me The Eye of the World for Christmas, when it arrives I'll start.

Has been years since I read any of it, but can remember I love it. :friends0:

I've just finished the latest WoT novel, The Gathering Storm. I was a little nervous about it, as sadly Robert Jordan passed away in 2007 so this one was written by someone else (Brandon Sanderson). I shouldn't have worried - it was great! I won't spoil it for anyone, but suffice to say the pace is picking right up and it's all go! The only problem with these is that I can never remember what's been happening each time a new book comes out - I've read the first few at least 3 times now, just to recap! Great story though...now I just have to wait for the last two to be written!

I've just finished the latest WoT novel, The Gathering Storm. I was a little nervous about it, as sadly Robert Jordan passed away in 2007 so this one was written by someone else (Brandon Sanderson). I shouldn't have worried - it was great! I won't spoil it for anyone, but suffice to say the pace is picking right up and it's all go! The only problem with these is that I can never remember what's been happening each time a new book comes out - I've read the first few at least 3 times now, just to recap! Great story though...now I just have to wait for the last two to be written!

I agree. I am well over 200 hundred pages into The Gathering Storm and so far it has been very good reading. All the subplots are great. this book is actually better than the last few in the series by Jordan. for me a sign of a good book is not wanting to put it down, and, that is how I am with this book. I want to keep reading it.

• 2 weeks later...

I am almost finished with "The Gathering Storm', perhaps about 70 or so pages to go. This is one of the best written books in the series. The story lines are great and the Series undoubtedly is coming to an end. Each character in the series has a big part to play in this book and I have a much better understanding of their part in the upcoming "Last Battle".

Egwene, Aviendha, Nynaeve, Mat, Perrin, etc have all played a big part in the book and I will find it difficult waiting for the next book to see what happens next. There were a few surprises in the book and one Aes Sedai, in particular, made a great scarifice.

one Aes Sedai, in particular, made a great scarifice.

Damnit, now I'm intrigued. I've read up to book 9. I have 10 sitting on the TBR, but don't want to get back into the series without having the financial stability to pay for 11 in order to get to The Gathering Storm. Thanks to you Muggle Not, I'm going to have to sacrifice something else on my list to bump the rest of these closer to the top :)

:lol:

Damnit, now I'm intrigued. I've read up to book 9. I have 10 sitting on the TBR, but don't want to get back into the series without having the financial stability to pay for 11 in order to get to The Gathering Storm. Thanks to you Muggle Not, I'm going to have to sacrifice something else on my list to bump the rest of these closer to the top :lol:

:D

I am sure you will enjoy "The Gathering Storm", that is if you enjoyed the previous books in the Series. I just finished it and there was a dramatic surprise at the very end of the book.....no fair peaking though. What happened at the very end will probably play a big part with Rand (The Dragon Reborn).

• 1 month later...

It's high time that I started a search for the WoT fans here. I know you're out there, come out!

For those not in the know, the Wheel of Time is Robert Jordan's (aka James Oliver Rigney Jr.) definitive work. Mr Jordan is also known for his Conan Chronicles among other works of fiction. But the Wheel of Time is what he is truly remembered for.

A series of fourteen books, it has been around since 1987 and the series have become dubbed as Tolkienian to an effect.

His style is friendly and very easy to understand, but highly coloured with descriptions. His fans always find that funny in that his writing is littered with fashion descriptions and ladies with their hands crossed beneath their breasts.

All of you know how much I love this series and how I came across it. Well, for those who're wondering what WoT is all about, here's a short summary.

Three thousand years have passed since Lews Therin Telamon, the man known to the world as the Dragon, sealed the Dark One's prison with his one hundred companions, hundred male Aes Sedai who wielded Saidin, the male half of the One Power. Angered at their accomplishment, the Dark One unleashed his wrath and put a taint on Saidin, so from that moment on, all men who could channel it became mad, starting with the Dragon. And in his madness, Lews Therin slaughtered all those who were dear to him and broke the world apart. For his deeds he was named Kinslayer. In a temporary moment of sanity, he realised what he had done and killed himself by drawing too much of Saidin, creating a mountain that would be called Dragonmount in the days to follow.

Now, in a Hobbitonesque place called Emond's Field in the Two Rivers, festivities are being readied for Beltine. But there are strangers in the village. A man whose cloak is untouched by the breeze, a woman who has the look of a lady and another man with a colour changing cloak and with a movement to make a cat jealous.

When Orc-Like Trollocs attack the Two Rivers, it becomes clear that they are after three boys. Rand al'Thor, Matwin Cauthon and Perrin Aybara. And what normal men and women find mysterious, only the female Aes Sedai can explain.

And the Seal of the Dark One's Prison is awakening, the Last Battle draws near. And to fight the Dark One, the Pattern of the Wheel of Time demands the Dragon. And to suit the Pattern's demands, the Dragon must once again ride on the winds of time.

But which of these three boys do the Aes Sedai believe to be the Dragon Reborn who can wield Saidin, the tainted power? And in the three thousand years after the Breaking, the Aes Sedai's greatest job has been to kill men with that power, to prevent them going mad. Why should it be any different now?

Mr Jordan died three years ago, but Brandon Sanderson of Mistborn fame is carrying on the tale with detailed notes left by Mr Jordan. The twelfth book has beaten all expectations and the thirteenth is due this november. If nothing else, Sanderson is highly prolific.

The series are a must for any fantasy fan. Even if people say the series drags towards the middle, it has become one of the defining works of the genre. Sure we have GRR Martin and Terry Brooks, but Mr Jordan stays just the same.

Here's the list of the books:

1. The Eye Of The World

2. The Great Hunt

3. The Dragon Reborn

4. The Shadow Rising

5. Fires Of Heaven

6. Lord Of Chaos

7. A Crown of Swords

8. Path Of Daggers

9. Winter's Heart

10. Crossroads At Twilight

11. Knife of Dreams

12. The Gathering Storm

13. Towers of Midnight

14. A Memory Of Light

Edited by Michelle
merged with existing thread, which you'd already responded to - please search.. thanks

I love em. Am re-reading the first book now, has been years though, and thought I barely remember anything, but guess I do. Is fun coming back to this after years. I only have read about the first 5 or 6 of the series, and am really looking forward to reading all of them. Though I might take a break somewhere again, these books are quite long (yay) and reading them all back to back might get me to be a little bored with the series again. But I really love them, I love that it's such a big epic fantasy story. My style.:friends0:

Oh, that's just something that always happens to me when I read too many books in a series in a row. I tend to want a change when I have read several. Can be solved by just reading two books at once, having a totally different book alongside to switch to when wanted, but right now I don't know if I have it in me to keep up with two books at once. Emotionally tough times now and all.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I have just finished the second and started the third book in this series. However. The second book, the Great Hunt I bought this edition:

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/j/robert-jordan/great-hunt.htm

1990/1991 edition by Tor Us. Paperback, with the cover seen in above link.

STAY AWAY from this edition. Seriously, this has been one of the worst paperbacks I have ever seen! I read it once, and I treat my books fairly, but it's coming apart already. Pages are almost falling out, the spine's completely cracked away from some pages. I am seriously :blush: off. I sent a complaint to my online bookstore, not a chance I'm getting money back or anything, just had to voice my anger. :lol: I switched to the other series of paperbacks, the black and gold covered ones, I had that one as the first book and it's fine-ish, as far as paperbacks go. But thought, what the heck, since I don't care if all my books are the same, the other editions was cheaper (now I know why) and it has this nice, goofy, fantasy cover art. But noooo more. *grumbles*

It takes a lot to get me complaining about book quality, but this did it.

The contents were awesome though, loved the book. :tong::lol:

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm currently in the middle of Book 10, and I'm losing the will to carry on. I love the series, and love the depth of detail RJ goes into, but it's really heavy-going. I think now the only reason I'm reading any more is that I've heard that books 11 & 12 get better, I want to find out what finally happens in the end, and I've invested so many years reading the series (I've been reading them since I was 16) that I can't give up.

I'm also very excited to get to Brandon Sanderson's collaboration in book 12. I've read the first book in his Mistborn trilogy (and the second is on order) and I absolutely loved it. Definitely the right person carry on RJ's legacy.

I'm currently in the middle of Book 10, and I'm losing the will to carry on. I love the series, and love the depth of detail RJ goes into, but it's really heavy-going. I think now the only reason I'm reading any more is that I've heard that books 11 & 12 get better, I want to find out what finally happens in the end, and I've invested so many years reading the series (I've been reading them since I was 16) that I can't give up.

I'm also very excited to get to Brandon Sanderson's collaboration in book 12. I've read the first book in his Mistborn trilogy (and the second is on order) and I absolutely loved it. Definitely the right person carry on RJ's legacy.

Don't give up - you are at the very end of the weakest part of the series. Books 8 and 9 probably the nadir. Things will pick up soon and book 12 blew me away - loved it.

My only trouble now is that the next book is due out and in the past I have done a full re-read before each new book. Am currently thinking I'm not up to reading 12 books. Might just re-read the last 2.

Oh and glad to hear Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy recommended as I am thinking of reading it based on the strength of his writing in the Wheel of Time series.

Don't give up - you are at the very end of the weakest part of the series. Books 8 and 9 probably the nadir. Things will pick up soon and book 12 blew me away - loved it.

My only trouble now is that the next book is due out and in the past I have done a full re-read before each new book. Am currently thinking I'm not up to reading 12 books. Might just re-read the last 2.

Oh and glad to hear Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy recommended as I am thinking of reading it based on the strength of his writing in the Wheel of Time series.

Ahh I'm sorry but I have just given up with it today. I left it for too long without picking it up so I lost the flow. I've decided to read a couple of other books before I try again, but I will get there. It took me a couple of attempts to read the first book, so this isn't unusual for me.

I recently bought the second in the Mistborn series. I haven't read it yet, but I'm definitely looking forward to it.

I read some of these about ten years ago and enjoyed them. For some reason I lost the plot around book 8 and haven't looked at them since. May have to consider trying them again!

Please do! The books from 6 to 11 are really dull for most people, but 12 and 13 are just awesome. I can't wait for the last book.