Robert Jordan - Wheel of Time series

Debbie

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

I stopped reading this book on part 8. It was a big let down after 6 great parts and up to this day I keep the rest of the books on my shelf waiting to be read. I've read many good comments about the end and the great job Brandon did and I want to start re-reading it. Do you think I should start with New Spring as it's the prequel. Is it easy to get into his world from that part?

Edited by hpgenie

Having read the set, I wouldn't mind swapping or selling all but the last as I don't own a copy. I've never sold anything on the net before. The 1-9 covers are pictures and 10 on are black and silver.

Edited by dex

I'm considering when to read New Spring.  I think it was published after Book 10, but I don't know whether to leave it until the end.  What would everybody recommend?

Hi Sedge.

You can read New Spring at any time without a worry as it is both a prequel and a standalone novel.  Below is an excerpt from Wikipedia that summarizes it nicely.

New Spring focuses mainly on Moraine Damondred and Siuan Sanche, two Aes Sedai new to the sisterhood, and how a young Moiraine became Aes Sedai, met Lan Mandragon and made him her Warder. The novel also explains how Moiraine and Siuan witnessed a prophecy of the Dragon's rebirth and came to begin investigating the Karaethon Cycle, the Prophecies of the Dragon, decades before discovering Rand al' Thor.

It's a much smaller read than any of the ones in the actual saga, and I really enjoyed it!  It was fun reading about a young, sassy and somewhat bratty young Moraine Sedai and a young Lan Mandragon before life, war and warder training had hardened him so much.  Hope you like it as much as I did! :D  :readingtwo:

• 8 months later...

I'm so glad to have found a thread about the Wheel of Time - it's one of my all time favourite fantasy series.

Has anyone read the final book? I was a bit disappointed by some of the scenes.

I expected the reunion between Rand and Moiraine to be much longer and in more detail. I may be biased though as Moiraine is my favourite character.

Here's a brilliant image of Moiraine from the cover of the ebook Fires of Heaven:

http://www.tor.com/images/stories/blogs/FiresOfHeaven_DanDosSantos.png

She looks exactly as I imagined her. There's also some articles on the Tor website where a fan has analysed every chapter in the books (or so I remember).

I love The Wheel of Time series too! That's a nice image, though I imagined her hair slightly darker. I loved the last book personally but I've heard more people were disappointed with the last book.

I think it's difficult (heck, impossible) to please everyone with a series finale. There will always be people who prefer a different ending. As long as the ending was what Robert Jordan wanted, I guess that's what matters. It is his world after all.

I would love to see them make a TV series out of the books - I can see too many problems with trying to make a film, not least the fact that many people would see it as a LOTR copy.

What was your favourite book in the series btw?

Edited by Angury

I read this series in fits and starts and out of sequence depending on what books the library had in at the time. I finally read most of it except the last book, which had not been written at that stage. I finally decided to get the entire series including the last book and finally read them in sequence from beginning to end including the last one. I have discovered to my mild horror that somewhere my reading interests have grown / changed / something and I can't read them. It's a bit :( because I really loved them, but coming back to them ... wow ... so something .... and I stlil haven't read the end! Aah well this is how the cookie crumbles sometimes.

13 of which are in a carrier bag, waiting to be taken to a charity shop or other needy cause.

I did like them, but I won't read them again.

I read this series in fits and starts and out of sequence depending on what books the library had in at the time. I finally read most of it except the last book, which had not been written at that stage. I finally decided to get the entire series including the last book and finally read them in sequence from beginning to end including the last one. I have discovered to my mild horror that somewhere my reading interests have grown / changed / something and I can't read them. It's a bit :( because I really loved them, but coming back to them ... wow ... so something .... and I stlil haven't read the end! Aah well this is how the cookie crumbles sometimes.

That has happened to me before as well. I've found that as my experiences grow and my beliefs change, books that I once found enticing are now dull. I find it interesting to look back to the books I used to read and think about what made me enjoy them - the plotline? The characters? The way the story was told? etc.

13 of which are in a carrier bag, waiting to be taken to a charity shop or other needy cause.

I did like them, but I won't read them again.

I'm not sure if I'll read them again either. It's such a massive series, I don't think I'd ever have time to reread them again, or the determination. And it's not like I can just read one of the books in the middle of the series, because I've forgotten so many of the plotlines.

Although I'm the sort of person who can never give away my books. They become a part of me. A lot of them have my writing scrawled over the pages, and the pages dog-eared.

Edited by Angury

It was similar to terry goodkind for me, I gave up on tg and was forced to give up on RJ, but I finished both series and whilst they both had weak points, I was glad I continued to the end.

I'm going to donate them to BHF next to The Square Peg,Birmingham 29th.

I would love to see them make a TV series out of the books - I can see too many problems with trying to make a film, not least the fact that many people would see it as a LOTR copy.

x

Me too! I think it might make a good TV series.

x

What was your favourite book in the series btw?

x

I'm not sure, that's difficult to say. There were a few in the middle I liked less, but most of them I really enjoyed reading. What's your favourite?

xMe too! I think it might make a good TV series.xxI'm not sure, that's difficult to say. There were a few in the middle I liked less, but most of them I really enjoyed reading. What's your favourite?

Each book is so packed with storylines and action, I can't even remember what happens in half of them! :P

I began to like the story much more when

Rand stopped letting people push him around and became his "own person." I think it was in Towers of Midnight where Egwene is captured by the White Tower yet she displays just tranquility while being humiliated by the rest of the Aes Sedai - that was a nice chapter to read. I certainly would not have been able to remain calm in that sort of situation.

There's also a scene where Rand defeats an entire troll army by himself - it was nice to see his power shine through. And in the same way when Min is injured (I think by Padan Fain), you see a bit of Rand's anger.

Ooh, and when Rand meets his "father" somewhere later in the books, and his father sees what his son has become - yet he doesn't blame it on Rand, he goes straight to the Aes Sedai and sets them straight,

I will always prefer the first few books though, simply because Moiraine was in them, and Moiraine is the best. ;)

Gosh, I remember more than I thought I did.

The thing I loved most about the Wheel of Time was the variety of cultures in the WoT world, and the detail Robert went into when describing them. Even as the reader you could begin to pick up where someone was from, based on the way they spoke and the clothes they were described in. It felt as if the world truly existed.

Edited by Angury

The thing I loved most about the Wheel of Time was the variety of cultures in the WoT world, and the detail Robert went into when describing them. Even as the reader you could begin to pick up where someone was from, based on the way they spoke and the clothes they were described in. It felt as if the world truly existed.

x

Agreed! I loved that.

I also like Moiraine and was happy to see her being back in the later books.

Personally I'd like to reread the books some time later in the future.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Have tried several times to read this, the first few books I adore.. and about the fourth book or so, just can't seem to get past. The characters seem to stay the same, and it seems pointless to read on. Maybe I will just read the summary of that book one day and start with the next book.. I have a couple of pretty hardbacks of the 8th/9/th/10th book sitting on my shelve that I bought secondhand for three euros each or so, would be a shame to never read them. My tastes have changed as well, rarely read pure fantasy anymore. Then again I notice my sci-fi reading is getting dull to (same as I had with fantasy) so maybe I'll switch back. ;)

• 1 year later...

I'm interested to hear how fans feel about this news:

https://twitter.com/dragonmount/status/725790200006242305/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

Personally I'm thrilled that it has finally been confirmed. I'm also relieved that the series will be adapted into a TV series rather than a film which imo would never be able to capture both the depth and breadth of the magic that is The Wheel of Time.

I'm cautiously excited about it. I am relieved it will be a TV series and not a film, as I agree with you a TV series is the better choice for this book series. I'm excited and look forward to see the TV series, but I'm also a little bit worried whether they'll be able to do the books justice. Who's going to play the characters and will they be a bit how I imagined the characters, and how are they going to show weaves and such.