• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

IS THIS SERIES WORTH IT??

I have read so much about WoT and am still undecided about starting it. Nearly everyone says it starts well and then is a let down. Some people say it is even such a let down that they gave up on the whole series?? It is a clearly a big commitment and must therefore need a pretty poor book to put people off. Does it ruin the whole series? Is it worth starting? Is there any a good place to stop early in the series before being let down? can any books be safely skipped?

I haven't read many fantasy series but am looking to get into some more and this keeps coming up. I was really let down with King's Dark Tower which was also quite a commitment in length, don't really want that again. Only you guys can help me out.

• 6 months later...

I have read so much about WoT and am still undecided about starting it. Nearly everyone says it starts well and then is a let down. Some people say it is even such a let down that they gave up on the whole series?? It is a clearly a big commitment and must therefore need a pretty poor book to put people off. Does it ruin the whole series? Is it worth starting? Is there any a good place to stop early in the series before being let down? can any books be safely skipped?

I haven't read many fantasy series but am looking to get into some more and this keeps coming up. I was really let down with King's Dark Tower which was also quite a commitment in length, don't really want that again. Only you guys can help me out.

This series is really worth it. I love it, even though a couple of books were a bit low in the middle.

The series is about to end, something that's been bound to happen for 30 years! I mean, It's been so long since Robert Jordan began The Eye of the World and he's even dead now but the Wheel Weaves as the Wheel Wills :)

I can't wait for Jan 8th. I'm taking three days off to read the last three books back to back! Just the way RJ would've wanted me to! :)

Damn, this topic makes me teary.

Oh yes, this series is definitely worth the investment! I've been reading it since the first book came out. Had a bit of freak-out when I head Robert Jordan had died. Felt bad for his family of course, but I'm a bit ashamed to say my first thought was "Oh no! The story's not finished yet!"

I am also waiting for January 8 with baited breath. Have given instructions to hubby that since it's a Tuesday and he'll have the car, he is to without fail sacrifice his lunch and go straight to the nearest bookstore and get me a copy! Besides, I expect to be home nursing recovering dog at that time so if he comes out without it, things might just get a little dicey around here. :giggle2:

Sure it had lagging parts, and some books were better than others, but the I LOVE the series as a whole and think Sanderson has done a great job finishing it up for Robert Jordan. :D

agree with you. In a series this long and with the large volume in each book there are bound to be some lagging parts but one shouldn't sacrifice the reading due to a few lagging areas. Also agree withyour comment on Sanderson, he has done a great job on mopping up.

The reading was great IMHO, however, if one is looking for perfection a long series you will always be dissapointed.

Edited by muggle not

I don't mind lagging in the middle of a book, I would expect it with books 400 pages+ but some reviews of the series were saying that 2 or 3 books in a row were completely lagging and nothing happened so they gave up. I am still tempting to give this a go though, I was thinking of the getting the first book in audio to listen to.

I don't mind lagging in the middle of a book, I would expect it with books 400 pages+ but some reviews of the series were saying that 2 or 3 books in a row were completely lagging and nothing happened so they gave up. I am still tempting to give this a go though, I was thinking of the getting the first book in audio to listen to.

Do that!

The audiobooks are awesome!

Really though, the people who say they gave up shouldn't be reading this series in the first place. It's 14 books long, and sure a few things get dragged, but they are required. This is a single book, not separate. Besides, the series is getting an awesome ending. Do give it a go! You can even listen to all the books on audio.

agree with you. In a series this long and with the large volume in each book there are bound to be some lagging parts but one shouldn't sacrifice the reading due to a few lagging areas. Also agree withyour comment on Sanderson, he has done a great job on mopping up.

The reading was great IMHO, however, if one is looking for perfection a long series you will always be dissapointed.

Do that!

The audiobooks are awesome!

Really though, the people who say they gave up shouldn't be reading this series in the first place. It's 14 books long, and sure a few things get dragged, but they are required. This is a single book, not separate. Besides, the series is getting an awesome ending. Do give it a go! You can even listen to all the books on audio.

Here! Here! Very well said, both of you!

A Memory of Light is coming out on 08/01/2013 I'm new to these books, I'm guessing you can't start at the end right? It's a wopping collection! I'm quite new to this genre so maybe I should start with something less daunting, any advice?

A Memory of Light is coming out on 08/01/2013 I'm new to these books, I'm guessing you can't start at the end right? It's a wopping collection! I'm quite new to this genre so maybe I should start with something less daunting, any advice?

I recommend that you start with book 1 of the series. It is enlightening as you read each book and things start to unfold and the reader (along with the characters in the series) start to learn what everything is about. Whatever you do, don't skip books. It is really necessary to read them in sequence. There are a few books somewhere about two thirds way through that drag just a little but then all of a sudden the series explodes with interesting action.

I would not consider the series too "daunting". Instead look at it as a great read.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm waiting for the newest and last book to come out in paperback (all my other Wheel of Time books are in paperback, and I prefer it), it may take half a year or so :(. I'm currently reading Towers of Midnight (I've been saving it) and can't wait to read the last book. I still need to read the prologue too (New Spring). The Wheel of Time is one of my favourite fantasy series.

I am going to finish reading this set, but I think due to the long wait because Robert Jordan died, I no longer enjoy epic fantasy. This is probably why I didn't enjoy GOTs.

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently reading the last one. Not that far in but so far it's quite good. I ruined the ending for myself by looking on Wikipedia but there is plenty of pages to keep me entertained. It literally took me months to finish the other 13 last year. I'm kind of glad that this is the end.

I'm kind of glad that this is the end.
I feel the same way, will be glad to see it finish, though I am enjoying it all. It'll be good to start another fantasy series once it ends etc.

Hope you can forget a bit about the ending and enjoy the last book!

• 2 weeks later...

I honestly don't think I could recommend this series to anyone, It contains too much filler. Even Brandon's books could have been 2 instead of 3. I bought the books before Winters heart for £2.50 each in a Waterstones offer. Like. The Terry Goodkind set I want to finish it.

I don't feel like there is filler in all of them. Sometimes it gives them tension and suspense. Admittedly it may feel more like they're filling in when you're read them all one after the other. The last book is definitely the best. No fillers there.