Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 14

Chrissy

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm currently reading The Help by Kathryn Stockett. My best friends mother recommended it, had high praises for it. So, I pulled the book off my shelf and started reading it yesterday. Only 9 chapters in and I'm already hooked :)

What's your point? It's a top notch novel!! :cool: Hehe!

Oh I agree that it was a top-notch novel! It's just that, at 150 pages, it didn't feel like the biggest of achievements to finish it. On the hand, when I finish reading The Group (in about 6 months time at this rate :(), that will feel like an achievement.

Although I had a very productive weekend, I didn't get in as much reading as I had hoped :irked:. Seriously, there just are not enough hours in the day. I did come home tonight though with the Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. My friend lent it to me and can't wait for me to read it. I can't either! :D

Oh I agree that it was a top-notch novel! It's just that, at 150 pages, it didn't feel like the biggest of achievements to finish it. On the hand, when I finish reading The Group (in about 6 months time at this rate :(), that will feel like an achievement.

I know what you meant, I just don't want you to think like that! The quality counts, not just the quantity. :friends3:

I'm very much enjoying The Winter Queen by Boris Akunin, I think this will be a detective series that I will want to read the whole way through.

Only another 100 pages of The Tenderness of Wolves to go, am really enjoying it now, found the first half a bit slow but think that was more down to me being busy and tired. Hopefully I'll finish it before my other half gets home on leave tomorrow night!

I've not read much the last couple days. Have read a few chapters of 'city of bones' this morn and have now hit the 100 page mark.

I ordered 2 books this morn 'The monkeys raincoat' by Robert Crais & 'B is for Burglar' Sue grafton :)

Well, I've finished The Elegance of the Hedgehog. I'll be a dissenting voice, I'm afraid - it took too long to become a story that I got interested in, and the characters - particularly the little girl, Paloma - weren't ones I warmed to. Perhaps it was the translation, I don't know, but I thought it was a bit pretentious. I'm glad I stayed with it, because eventually it was rewarding, but it's not a book I'd go out of my way to recommend.

Now starting The White War by Mark Thompson, the story of a disastrous World War I campaign between Italy and the Habsburg Empire. It's a bit of a historical backwater, but it looks really interesting.

I know what you meant, I just don't want you to think like that! The quality counts, not just the quantity. :friends3:

I'm very much enjoying The Winter Queen by Boris Akunin, I think this will be a detective series that I will want to read the whole way through.

Frankie, I enjoyed The Winter Queen and found Erast Fandorin a rather quirky character! I did, however go on to read a few more in the series and found he got quirkier as the books went on and in the end I gave up on him. They are good crime novels though. I suppose he's Russia's equivalent of Hercule Poirot.

Frankie, I enjoyed The Winter Queen and found Erast Fandorin a rather quirky character! I did, however go on to read a few more in the series and found he got quirkier as the books went on and in the end I gave up on him. They are good crime novels though. I suppose he's Russia's equivalent of Hercule Poirot.

Quirkier as in a bad way? I really like it that it's a Russian detective series, a welcome change after so many American and British series :)

I'm currently reading The Help by Kathryn Stockett. My best friends mother recommended it, had high praises for it. So, I pulled the book off my shelf and started reading it yesterday. Only 9 chapters in and I'm already hooked :)

I read this not to long ago....enjoyed it more than I thought I would :)

Finished off Derailed last night....now trying to decide what to read next

Quirkier as in a bad way? I really like it that it's a Russian detective series, a welcome change after so many American and British series :)

Not in a bad way ..... I just found him difficult to fathom out at times. Like you, though, I welcomed a Russian detective series (I love anything Russian) and I liked the plots. It's just my personal reaction. Be warned of the second book in the series, I believe the publishers jumbled them them around. The order should be:

The Winter Queen

The Turkish Gambit

Murder on the Leviathan

The Death of Achilles

Special Assignments

The State Counsellor

The Coronation

She Lover of Death

He Lover of Death

The Diamond Chariot

Jade Rosary Beads

All the World's a Stage

I believe his "quirkiness" is down to what happened in Winter Queen if you know what I mean.......

Edited by SueK

I am just over a third of the way through Mind in the Making, I don't normally read a lot of non fiction, but as a childcare practitioner, I love reading books about children's development in order to improve upon my practice. I really love seeing what I've learnt happen at work and trying some of the ideas in the book. I also am learning a lot about others and myself too as I continue to read about the life skills that myself and others in my profession need to teach children :)

I totally loved it! It's probably my favourite book this year so far.

That's as good a recommendation as they can get, wow! :) I'm happy to have it on my TBR :smile2:

I believe his "quirkiness" is down to what happened in Winter Queen if you know what I mean.......

Sue, thanks for the info on which order to read the books in, much appreciated! :friends3: I don't think I've yet reached the part you're refering to, or then might have to read the whole book to see where you're getting at.

I've just finished reading 'Immortal in death' JD Robb. Found the book predictable and a bit boring but stuck with it. Not sure if I'll bother to continue reading the series.

Now I'm gonna start on 'City of bones' Michael Connelly.

Good book by Connelly though not his best but still very good.

I finished reading The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman and have started to read The Hobbit for the first time! :blush:

Hobbit is probably my favorite Tolkien book. I will re-read before the movie is release next year.

I have started reading Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. Enjoying it so far. :)

Is it your first time? I wish I was reading Harry Potter for the first time again

Just finished 'city of bones' by Michael Connelly and really enjoyed it. Not the best Bosch book but still good.

Now going to start the next in series 'lost light' also Michael Connelly

I finished Richelle Mead - Storm King last night, not sure it was that great not inspired me to go and search out any others in the series, someone else said on here about some of these book jumping on the bandwagon of better written paranormal fantasy and this is one of them. I seem to be struggling to find an author I want to follow in this genre at the moment as I am up to date with all my favourites.

I started The Adamantine Palace - Stephen Deas this morning, not sure how its going to play out, there are dragons in it might just be an up to date Anne McAffrey at the moment.