Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 14

Chrissy

I've only got about 50 pages left of Nanny Returns, so I'm determined to finish it this weekend. I also forgot to post that yesterday I received Palo Alto by James Franco in the mail from Weave :D. Thanks again and I can't wait to read it!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only got about 50 pages left of Nanny Returns, so I'm determined to finish it this weekend. I also forgot to post that yesterday I received Palo Alto by James Franco in the mail from Weave :D. Thanks again and I can't wait to read it!

You are very welcome :)

Yes, they can be purchased individually!

:P Not in my world they can't!

And to prove it, today I bought:

Steven D Levitt & Stephen J Dubner: Superfreakonomics

Marco Polo: Travels in the Land of Kublai Khan

Rabindranath Tagore: Nationalism

The last two books are part of Penguin's Great Ideas series, which all have gorgeous covers. They had another half a dozen of them that I was very tempted to get, but I restrained myself quite admirably. :)

I also bought another edition of Nancy Mitford's Love in a Cold Climate to match the others I have. And I accidentally bought a second copy of Susan Hill's I'm the King of the Castle (hey, I have a lot of unread books; I'm allowed to make a mistake once in a while!)

:giggle2:

I hope you don't mind that I am laughing at you, Kylie.

I only laugh because what Raven said could also apply to me. :blush:

Not at all. I think Raven is rather in the minority here in only buying one book at a time. ;)

Kylie, I'm worried that Pixie might be going over to the dark side... :huh: Somebody should do something before she joins Raven's ranks!

:lol:

Nah, Pixie's too sensible to get swayed by Raven's ravings (giggle.gif).

Y'all are being so mischevious today! Its very amusing... :D

I think I'm going to make an another attempt to read Watchmen today.

I'm glad you think it's amusing to see everyone laughing at your poor friend! tongue.gifmocking.gif

Had my book 'date' today, got rid of a couple of books and got a copy of Mitä onni on by Petri Tamminen. Now I think I'm gonna head to bed and read a little before going to sleep.

I was about to be outraged that you didn't give us a report on your date, but I took myself off to your thread and noticed it there. Off to read it now...

The Short Stories of Edgar Allen Poe

The Works of Joseph Conrad

Fairy Tales of Hans Christian Andersen

Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett

House of Silence by Linda Gillard

Household Tales by the Brothers Grimm

Dracula by Bram Stoker

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift

Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson

The Complete Charles Dickens

Strange Wine by Harlan Ellison

I approve! :)

I plan on reading more of Freakonomics today and I'll be putting together a new bookcase because I've well and truly run out of room on my current shelves.

Edited by Kylie

I am now reading Karen Rose 'Have you seen her?, it seems a good book so far

I loved this book, it's the second in a great series. Hope you're enjoying it! :D

Heartsick by Chelsea Cain

Last To Die by Katy Brady

One Scream Away by Katy Brady

... all arrived for me from Amazon yesterday. I also spent a good lot of yesterday reading about a kindle on Amazon so .... I've decided to buy one :huh: I've heard nothing but good stuff about them and even my OH said he's surprised I haven't gotten one sooner. (Is it weird that I feel like I'm betraying my paperback babies? :blush: )

Pixie, what an excellent haul! :smile2:

.. all arrived for me from Amazon yesterday. I also spent a good lot of yesterday reading about a kindle on Amazon so .... I've decided to buy one :huh: I've heard nothing but good stuff about them and even my OH said he's surprised I haven't gotten one sooner. (Is it weird that I feel like I'm betraying my paperback babies? :blush: )

Yay for Heartsick!!!! :D Can't wait to see how you like it, but no pressure, you read it when you have the time. And yes I know how you feel about your paperback babies, but don't worry, it's not like you're going to give up the 'manual' books, totally, for good, and forever! :empathy:

I'm going to spend today reading and relaxing, and enjoying the sun.

I loved this book, it's the second in a great series. Hope you're enjoying it! :D

Last To Die by Katy Brady

One Scream Away by Katy Brady

... all arrived for me from Amazon yesterday. I also spent a good lot of yesterday reading about a kindle on Amazon so .... I've decided to buy one :huh: I've heard nothing but good stuff about them and even my OH said he's surprised I haven't gotten one sooner. (Is it weird that I feel like I'm betraying my paperback babies? :blush: )

You won't regret it, Charm. I :wub: mine!

Still reading Naked In Knightsbridge - chicklit of the average kind, but mildly diverting.

You will love it, Charm. I felt the same way as you, as if I was betraying my paperbacks. But, it's only been one day since I received my Kindle, and it's not a betrayal. The Kindle is a great companion to my paper books. They go so nicely together. :D:wink:

I was afraid I wouldn't like the Kindle, but it took so little time to figure out and the screen is amazing and easy on my poor eyesight. I love the thing already!

To Kylie:

Me? Sensible? Now that is funny. :lol:

To Kylie and Frankie:

Yes, that was a great haul! Just finished reading A Story by Hans Christian Andersen and have started Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett. :D

I meant to say this earlier in the week, but I found a hardback copy of Conference at Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons this week and was ready to purchase it when I opened it to find they wanted £20.00 for it. I want to read it, but not that much!

Does that mean you almost bought two books in one day, Raven? huh.gif Even if that's not case, nearly buying two books in one week is nearly as bad as buying multiple books in...oh, never mind.

I put together my new bookcase today and rearranged all my books. Suddenly I have no room for my armchair. :(

Does that mean you almost bought two books in one day, Raven? huh.gif

No, it was a different day.

Even if that's not case, nearly buying two books in one week is nearly as bad as buying multiple books in...oh, never mind.

Don't even try to compare the water pistol of my book buying to your fire hose!

I put together my new bookcase today and rearranged all my books. Suddenly I have no room for my armchair. :(

All these lovely books and nowhere to read them! Do you still have a bed or have you resorted to sleeping in the bath?! :D

Still reading Karen Rose 'Have you seen her', it is a very good book, enjoyable.

Bought two new books today, Lesley Pearce 'Rosie' and 'Georgia' on Stevenage market, they are brand new, £2.50 each

I've been so ill this week I havent been able to read a thing :(

but these books arrived this week

Tatty - Christinr Dwyer Hickey

Upfront and Personal - Coleen Nolan

Laura, so sorry to hear you have been ill. I hope you feel better now.

I ordered from amazon ~

The Resistance by Gemma Malley

The Legacy by Gemma Malley

The Returners by Gemma Malley

And I pre~ordered Harbour by John Ajvide Lindqvist (in paperback)

:)

Yay for Heartsick!!!! Can't wait to see how you like it, but no pressure, you read it when you have the time. And yes I know how you feel about your paperback babies, but don't worry, it's not like you're going to give up the 'manual' books, totally, for good, and forever!

I'm going to spend today reading and relaxing, and enjoying the sun.

Heartsick is near the top of my pile, in fact it was going to be my next read ..... until I got the kindle, I'm dying to read one of the books on it I downloaded, I'm so curious to see if I like using it :blush: Hope you had a lovely day in the sun :hug:

You won't regret it, Charm. I :wub: mine!

So far so good, I've heard nothing but positive thoughts on it so far :D

You will love it, Charm. I felt the same way as you, as if I was betraying my paperbacks. But, it's only been one day since I received my Kindle, and it's not a betrayal. The Kindle is a great companion to my paper books. They go so nicely together.

I was afraid I wouldn't like the Kindle, but it took so little time to figure out and the screen is amazing and easy on my poor eyesight. I love the thing already!

We're both newbies then! :friends3: Glad you're pleased with it, I am too so far.

I've been so ill this week I havent been able to read a thing

Sorry to hear you've not been well, hope you're feeling a lot better now :hug:

My OH bought me the kindle today and I've already downloaded 10 books :o ..... well, I had to try it out didn't I? :giggle:

I downloaded some of the free books of course:

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving

The Phantom Of The Opera by Gaston Leroux

Dracula by Bram Stoker

Dracula's Guest by Bram Stoker

The Legend Of King Arthur and his Knights by James Knowles

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

Beauty and the Beast by Marie Le Prince de Beaumont

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen

... and purchased You Belong To Me by Karen Rose, which I'm going to read next, I'm a happy puppy so far! :D

My TBR pile is going to take on a life of it's own at this rate :huh:

Happy new kindle hen! :)

Thanks hun :hug:

I forgot to say I finished Passing Strange by Daniel Waters today, possibly my favourite of the series. Thanks for the recommendation! :)

The Lacuna is really starting to irritate me now, but I shall persevere with it.....for now. :irked:

I'm giving up on it. I hate giving up on books, but I'm just finding it so dull that whenever I am reading it, my mind is wandering off somewhere else. :thud:

What do I read now?? I have too many to choose from. :doh:

Heartsick is near the top of my pile, in fact it was going to be my next read ..... until I got the kindle, I'm dying to read one of the books on it I downloaded, I'm so curious to see if I like using it :blush: Hope you had a lovely day in the sun :hug:

Hehehe, I can totally understand, it's such a novelty, I'm not expecting it to wear off anytime soon :D And of course you have to try it out and download books, and most of them were for free anyways :cool: Oh you're going to have so much fun with it! :lol: Have fun!

I finished reading The Secret Language of Eating Disorders by Peggy Claude-Pierre last night. It was really illuminating, and I can only say, if any of you guys know anyone who's struggling with eating disorders and want to help them, read this book!

I started reading Oliver's Story by Erich Segal. I didn't realise it was a sequel to Love Story until I started it, but I don't mind at all, I loved Love Story!

Thanks hun :hug:

I forgot to say I finished Passing Strange by Daniel Waters today, possibly my favourite of the series. Thanks for the recommendation! :)

Glad you enjoyed it hen :)

I'm reading 'City of Glass' (Mortal Instruments ~ Book 3) by Cassandra Clare and I started 'Brooklyn' by Colm Tóibín :)

Made the mistake of starting Bite Club by Rachel Caine last night; the mistake being I kept wanting to read instead of go to sleep :rolleyes: And I've found the only downside of a Kindle ... reading it in bed, lying on my side with the Kindle held over the edge of the bed (in order to get enough light from the bedside lamp to see it) - major panic that I might drop it if I dropped off myself! :lol:

Made the mistake of starting Bite Club by Rachel Caine last night; the mistake being I kept wanting to read instead of go to sleep :rolleyes: And I've found the only downside of a Kindle ... reading it in bed, lying on my side with the Kindle held over the edge of the bed (in order to get enough light from the bedside lamp to see it) - major panic that I might drop it if I dropped off myself! :lol:

Good grief, don't drop it! What if you doze off?? :o Get yourself a kindle light off Amazon straight away woman! :wink:

(I didn't even know Bite Club was out, I take it it's just as good as the rest? :lol: )

I bought the treebook of Peter V Brett's The Desert Spear from Amazon for £4.49 - that was £3.50 cheaper than the Kindle version. Madness.