Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 14

Chrissy

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I needed something light after the murder-filled book I just finished, so have started Nanny Returns by Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus. It's the sequel to 'The Nanny Diaries.'

Well I went up to a book fair today to try and re-ignite my mojo - I cycled up so could only buy what I could fit in my backpack - I did ask my friend to bring his bag but he conveniently forgot.

Anyway I bought the following ranging from cheapest at 30p to priciest at £1.

The Fahrenheit Twins by Michael Faber

Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks

An Equal Music Vikram Seth

The Green Mile By Stephen King

The Bookseller of Kabul

The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy

The Constant Gardener John le Carre

You've got some good books there Habeebi. Birdsong is one of my favourite ever books. An Equal Music is really good too and The Bookseller of Kabul is good

Definitely a good haul there Habeebi, although I think your friend deserves a nudge in the ribs for not bringing a bag!

I have ordered a few books today, and downloaded two to my Kindle.

'The Eagle Of The Ninth' by Rosemary Sutcliff

'The Declaration' by Gemma Malley

And three by Sharon Penman;

'Here Be Dragons'

'Falls The Shadow'

'The Reckoning'

I reluctantly :P had a sneaky peak at the kindle spring sale! and somehow managed to purchase 4 books...oops :lol: oh and a gel skin too.

This afternoon I read some more of House of silence, up to 90% now and will finish it tonight - another fab book from Ms Gillard :)

haha its easily done madcow - although I haven't got a kindle (still contemplating) it is so easy buying books online it doesn't seem like you're using real money!

Saying that my book haul of 7 books only totalled less than four quid - not bad! Still had plenty dosh left for a huge corned beef slice, cuppa and mars bar cake bliss!

Re-read Dead in the Family ready for the next installment and am currently reading Awakened the latest (I think) House of Night book.

Have ordered from Amazon:

Dead Reckoning - Charlaine Harris

Kitty Goes to Washington - Carrie Vaughn

A Game of Thrones - George RR Martin

Men of the Otherworld - Kelley Armstrong

It is too easy Habeebi but very enjoyable :D

Whoop whoop I've just finished House of Silence, another fab read from Linda Gillard, this woman has yet to disappoint! I've loved all of her books and they have given my mojo a good kick up the backside too :giggle2: Not sure what to read next but will have a ponder and start something tomorrow.

Great haul, Habeebi!

I finished The Little Prince in the wee minutes of this morning and absolutely loved it. I had been so worried that it would be like Coelho's The Alchemist, but they were absolutely nothing alike, to my immense relief. I bawled my eyes out at the end - I think I was reading this at a good time of my life, because it really meant something to me.

Now I'm continuing on with Freakonomics, which is very readable and hugely entertaining and interesting.

Edited by Kylie

Great list Habeebi 7.gif

I am half way through 'City of Ashes' (Mortal Instruments~Book 2) by Cassandra Clare and enjoying it immensely :)

I'm quarter of the way through Great Expectations by Dickens. I'm not able to race through it like some other books but I'm really enjoying it. Much more so than Oliver Twist which is the only other book I've read by Charles Dickens.

Hey there...I'm currently reading 'The Good Guy' by Dean Koontz. I used to read a fair bit of Dean Koontz but left his books alone for a few years and this is the first one I've picked up after all this time. I'm really enjoying it so far.

I am still reading Cider House Rules although is has definitely become a lot more interesting and I'm starting to get through it a bit quicker - I hate wishing books to finish just because I'm excited to get stuck in the next one but I was feeling a bit like that with Cider House Rules although I am enjoying it more though. John Irving certainly does need stick with I found that with the other books of his I have read - worth it in the end though.

I hate wishing books to finish just because I'm excited to get stuck in the next one but I was feeling a bit like that with Cider House Rules although I am enjoying it more though.

I know what you mean. I don't ever like to leave a book unfinished so I've got several books stacked up that are about a quarter read because I wasn't enjoying them as luch as I'd hoped and I was so excited about starting my next one.

I've got a new one on its way in the post and am determined to finish my current book before it arrives, heheh. :D

I know what you mean. I don't ever like to leave a book unfinished so I've got several books stacked up that are about a quarter read because I wasn't enjoying them as luch as I'd hoped and I was so excited about starting my next one.

I've got a new one on its way in the post and am determined to finish my current book before it arrives, heheh. :D

Its daft really as generally I find they always get better as they go on so I know I should stick with them - I think the trick would be to not buy the next one until you finish the one you're on but when you have a huge TBR list and so many people recommending good books (you know who you are BDF people!) its pretty much impossible!

At the end of the day they do furnish a room nicely so even if you don't enjoy it they have other uses!

I finished The Little Prince in the wee minutes of this morning and absolutely loved it. I had been so worried that it would be like Coelho's The Alchemist, but they were absolutely nothing alike, to my immense relief. I bawled my eyes out at the end - I think I was reading this at a good time of my life, because it really meant something to me.

I was absolutely thrilled to read post this! :smile2: It was a real tear jerker wasn't it, and no weird angle tears but the real stuff :giggle2:

Edited by frankie

Its daft really as generally I find they always get better as they go on so I know I should stick with them - I think the trick would be to not buy the next one until you finish the one you're on but when you have a huge TBR list and so many people recommending good books

That's so true. I've got about two paper bags full of books that are waiting to be read. It seems that I buy about three for every one that I read so they're forever stacking up! :D

Sorry I haven't been posting much lately. I simply don't have the time.

I am reading Virgin Earth by Philippa Gregory and really enjoying it.

Also, my very first Kindle is on it's way, and I have already purchased a few e-books (I do have Kindle for PC already), including the complete works of Charles Dickens, Joseph Conrad, Edgar Allen Poe, and Hans Christian Andersen. How could I resist when they cost next to nothing? :D

Also have Linda Gillard's House of Silence, of course! :D

Edited by Pixie

If you see the movie before me, be sure to let me know what it's like! I read the book a year or two ago so I'm not likely to notice if they've made too many changes from the book.

I'll be interested in your thoughts on Grave Surprise as I have this on my TBR pile.

I'll definitely let you know what I think of the movie :D

As for Grave Surprise, I enjoyed it. Quick fun read :D I like this series as much as the Sookie Stackhouse series.

Started Reading The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde.