Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 14

Chrissy

I have been unable to read anything due to being busy and yet again ill... Come on now. Time of work was good to begin with!

So I am still just over half way through on SLAUGHTERHOUSE 5. Still a cracking read.

I did pop up to the library yesterday and picked up my reserved copy of FLASHFORWARD by Robert J Sawyer. I watched the TV show, and loved it, and no not just because Dominic Monaghan was it (You guys know me so well) but also I have always been interested in the theme behind this show. I never knew there was a book until Michelle told me. Thanks Michelle.

Becuase of not being able to read so much I have been trying to listen to audio books. I do struggle and find them difficult to get into but I have been listening to Lord of the rings - The fellowship of the Ring which is nice to listen to.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IBecuase of not being able to read so much I have been trying to listen to audio books. I do struggle and find them difficult to get into but I have been listening to Lord of the rings - The fellowship of the Ring which is nice to listen to.

I have a complete unabridged version of that its about 60 hours long must listen to it agaon one day. I hope you feel better soon. If you want some fun audio plays rather than books I can heartily recommend Paul Temple brilliant crime fiction set in 1940's

I started Camilla Lackberg's The Ice Princess this morning enjoy it so far.

Edited by pickle

Thanks for the recommendation Pickle. Have you tried reading The Hobbit? Thats a lovely read on Audio Book. I find that very easy to listen to.

As for Camilla Lackberg. I read one of her books last year and found it Ok. I think I had to much expectation. I would definately read more of her novels. Have you read any others? *Tries and thinks what the book was called*

Edited by catwoman

No not tried the hobbit although I did reread the book last year and loved it. I am enjoying this Camilla Lackberg it seems to be typical of the Scandinavian crime books which don't feature the police, rather dark and moody people with deep secrets.

@ pickle.

It was the preacher that I read. It was a quick and easy read, but for some reason I expected more.

As for The Hobbit. It is such a great little book. I was late getting into Tolkien. My son is a huuuge fan and I got dragged into the world because of him. Now I never want to leave Middle - Earth. Funny how children to make you love things, that you never found while you were growing up.

I have the Mailer on my wish list and the Solomon sounds quite interesting. I'd better go and look it up I guess! :)

Did you know it's a war novel? I had no idea before I picked up the book at the charityshop. Quite long and a bit intimidating, but I'm thinking it might surprise me and end up being a really good book.

The Case - Book of Sherlock Holmes Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Northhanger Abbey Jane Austen

The Heartbreaker Susan Howatch

Duplicate Death Georgette Heyer

Treasure Island Robert Louis Stevenson

The Adventures of Sally P.G. Wodehouse

The Favoured Child Philippa Gregory

An excellent haul Kidsmum! And I bet it was cheap and it's all for charity, so basically you did a good deed and ended up getting great books, so let's not think about anything else ;)

I'm currently reading The Night by Elie Wiesel.

I read a novella called The Courage Consort by Michel Faber today. A lovely little read. :smile2:

I'd like to read that sometime

I have continued with Iron Council by China Mieville and am loving it! All of his Bas Lag books are fantastic, all 5 stars imo!

I also started Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker and it is good so far.

Did you know it's a war novel? I had no idea before I picked up the book at the charityshop. Quite long and a bit intimidating, but I'm thinking it might surprise me and end up being a really good book.

No, I didn't know that!

I'm just concentrating on the one book now: Everything is Illuminated.

I received three Elie Wiesel books from the lovely Weave in the mail today: Night, Dawn and Day.

Thank you so much, Weave! You're wonderful. friends0.gif

I also went to a secondhand shop and bought The Motorcycle Diaries by Che Guevara.

Finished The Zombie Survival Handbook last night, and have started Flowers In The Attic by Virginia Andrews. I read this book years ago, when I was a teenager and I can remember a lot of kids in school talking about it. It's quite good to revisit it.

I've taken the day off work today to give me a nice long weekend, so hopefully I'll get a good chunk of reading done. :b7ydance:

An excellent haul Kidsmum! And I bet it was cheap and it's all for charity, so basically you did a good deed and ended up getting great books, so let's not think about anything else ;)

Yep 2 for 99p, how's a girl to resist :rolleyes:

Still reading Restless but I should finish it today if I can get some time to read before the children get home from school.

OK, it's getting daft now.

Yesterday the 'phone kept ringing everytime I sat down to finish my book, so it was late last night when I finally got to settle with it. Today? I have just spent 2 hours standing outside in the rain when I had planned on spending a quiet few hours reading. I am cold, damp and shivery ~ and mightily hacked off!

I plan on getting a hot drink inside me and to sit down for a little while before I have to get food sorted later. *sigh* I am determined to read for a while! I didn't go through a missing mojo year for nothing! :lol:

I read a novella called The Courage Consort by Michel Faber today. A lovely little read. :smile2:

I have that to read - it's in the back of his The Hundred and Ninety-Nine Steps. :)

I'm just under half-way through Black Swan Green by David Mitchell - I'm loving it so far! :)

ETA: Why were you standing outside in the rain, Chrissy? :friends3:

Edited by Janet

ETA: Why were you standing outside in the rain, Chrissy? :friends3:

Brother-In-Law decided that he should "make a start" on sorting my knackered clutch out. Husband was at work, and apparently my pleas to leave it until tomorrow when we are due to have sunshine weren't compelling enough. I am determined to read at least one chapter odf 'The Well Of Lost Plots' before doing anything else today. I WILL NOT let my present and eager mojo go to waste! :readingtwo: