Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 14

Chrissy

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Page 170 of kane and Abel. It's OK. I'm rading it well. It's not my sort of thing, yet I'm reading it without groaning. Which I will be honest I thought it woud do.

...and it's keeping my mojo with me so I can't complain.

Edited by catwoman

Yipee! Finally finishd Cider House Rules by John Irving. Really enjoyed the second half of the book although the first half was a necessary slog and wasn't that bad looking back I just think I maybe picked the wrong book for my mood at the time.

I have to say even though I watched the film before reading the book I didn't envisage the characters as Michael Caine and Elijah Wood. I had totally different pictures in my head.

Anyway started The Ring by Koji Suzuki time for a spooky change of pace! X

Still reading Someone Else's Son :) I also was give another book at work today! Gerald Durrell's The Corfu Trilogy which includes My Family and Other Animals, Birds, Beasts and Relatives and The Garden of the Gods.

Just getting into The Tenderness of Wolves and really enjoying the writing style.

Was very bad today, my daughter wanted a book from Waterstones (she is steaming her way through all the Michael Morpurgos) and I bought four more books (!!!!) In my defence, a bought the Derren Brown one for my husbands birthday. For me I bought -

Water for Elephants - Sara Gruen (I will blame that on all the good reviews on here!)

Grace Williams says it loud - Emma Henderson

It's the little things - Erica James (was only £2.99)

Finished Water for Elephants this evening, and also bought:

Torment by Lauren Kate

Only The Good Spy Young by Ally Carter

Heat Stroke by Rachel Caine

Up With The Larks by Tessa Hainsworth

Devil's Bargain by Rachel Caine

The Passage has now fast-forwarded to the future. I'm finding myself yawning as this section is not grabbing me like the first.

I'm still plodding painfully slowly through The Group. If only I could knuckle down and read for more than 5 minutes at a time!

I received a book in the mail today: my long-awaited paperback copy of Bill Bryson's At Home. :D

I somehow managed to find time for about 50 pages of Discovery of Witches last night. I can't seem to read more than that in one sitting, but at least I'm loving it as much as I hoped I would :D.

Just finished Dekok and the Death of a Clown by AC Baantyer. He is apparently the most widely read author in the Netherlands but must admit I had not heard of him until I picked this up at the library. Very enjoyable mystery novel comparable to the Maigret novels.

I just finished reading "I am Legend", such an amazing book! It was exciting from start to finish and the ending was so sad. :-(

one of my fave books.....but do yourself a favor, skip the Will Smith movie :rolleyes:

In the post today.... Return to the Olive Farm by Carol Drinkwater. I read all the others a few years ago and loved them. Might keep this one for my hols.

Received in the mail today:

The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen

The Inheritance: and Other Stories by Robin Hobb

The Way of Kings by Brian Sanderson

Purchased for Kindle:

Isis by Douglas Clegg

The Deadly Streets by Harlan Ellison

Sourcery by Terry Pratchett

Edited by Pixie

In the post today.... Return to the Olive Farm by Carol Drinkwater. I read all the others a few years ago and loved them. Might keep this one for my hols.

She's a local girl! Her Dad used to have a party goods shop and theatrical agency in Bromley, and a former workmate used to go out with her when they were young (or so he used to say ...)

Came home today with Purge by Sofi Oksanen, which I know a couple of my knowledgeable colleagues here have praised.

Also, There's No Home by Alexander Baron. He's a much neglected writer - The Lowlife is one of my favourite "London sleaze" novels - but it seems his work is coming back into print. This one, according to the blurb:

It's 1943. The allied invasion of Sicily. In a lull in the fighting, a British battalion march through the summer heat into the bombed out city of Catania, to be greeted by the women, children and old men who remain there. Yearning for some semblance of home life, the men begin to fill the roles left by absent husbands and fathers. Unlikely relationships form: tender, exploitative, even cruel, and each doomed to end when the battalion moves on.

Many lives interleave in "There's No Home" but at its heart is the love that develops between Graziella, a bright young mother, and Sergeant Craddock, whose faltering Italian and rough attempts at seduction mask a deeper sympathy. In this sensitive and authentic portrayal of men and women thrown together by chance and conflict, Baron offers us a rare insight into the emotional impact of war.

It's a bit out of the ordinary for Baron, but he's a very good writer, so I'm optimistic.

The Passage has now fast-forwarded to the future. I'm finding myself yawning as this section is not grabbing me like the first.

This happened to me but stick with it as it does get better :) For me though the first section set in present time was fantastic.

I'm still reading 'Immortal In Death' JD Robb. Am about 1/4 way through but havent had much time to read the last couple days.

This happened to me but stick with it as it does get better :) For me though the first section set in present time was fantastic.

It already is starting to pick up again. I am on page 400. :)

So I finished the last of the Stephanie Plum - Janet Evanovich books I had from the library, that makes 6 I have read since Saturday and I loved them, definitely going to try and get these to own as I can see I will re-read them, I was reading one of them for a bit in the garden yesterday evening and had to stop myself from laughing out loud when Lula got stuck in the car window.

I've got a couple of books on the go at the moment: The Report by Jessica Francis Kane and The Story of a Secret State by Jan Karski - both centred around WWII - although Secret State is non-fiction.

I'm really into The Camel Club now...really loving it, and I've sent off for the second book already so I can get started on that straight after.