Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 14

Chrissy

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh Frankie I though The Poisonwood Bible was a really interesting read. I found the "evangelism" aspect quite disturbing as the pastor in it was so misguided and I hate to see Christians represented in that way. Even though it's unfortunately true in many situations! But it was a really thought provoking book and interesting to find out what happened to all the characters.

Glad you liked the book, I'm expecting it to be pretty good, from all the things I've heard about it :smile2:

I've read about 110 pages of On the Road, I'm still enjoying it.

Thats the problem with some of Nora Roberts too, she has some good ones then some are so so samey, used to read a lot of hers but got bored after the last series.

It wasn't bad, a bit cheesy, but enjoyable nontheless ;)

why oh why did I read A Discover of Witches this week its ruined everything :D

Ooops! :giggle: .... sorry it's messing up your reading, but .... on the other hand, I'm pleased it's still affecting you so much! :angel_not: Unfortunately, it's still affecting mine so I've not only read Night Shift by Nora Robers, but Nightshade too and am half way through Night Smoke now. I think I've missed one out but they're all much the same anyway, so I don't think it will matter too much ;) At least I'm reading something eh?

I'm just about halfway through The Neighbors and it's getting very suspenseful now! It's been a little slow going since I also decided to re-read :cough:Twilight:cough: ;). I can't help it, I'm very sentimental that way...

I'm pages away from finishing 'City of Bones' by Cassandra Clare, if I could have taken it with me out last night, I would have :giggle:

I'm just about halfway through The Neighbors and it's getting very suspenseful now! It's been a little slow going since I also decided to re-read :cough:Twilight:cough: ;). I can't help it, I'm very sentimental that way...

Its good to be sentimental, especially when its a book you enjoy hen :D

Edited by Weave

That's funny, Cookie. I finished the 'God of Small Things' yesterday evening. It's worth reading entirely. I wish Arundhati Roy would write more novels. To think this was just her debut! It was amazing. She hints at things to come, she gives something away and makes you curious about how it happened and why. I love the writing style, her descriptions really make you feel you're there. Don't try to unravel or understand the few hints she drops of the coming tragedies, just let the story take you along and when the right time comes, you'll know everything. Meanwhile, enjoy the prose and humour. :)

Today I'm starting 'A thousand splendid suns' by Hosseini. I watched 'The Kite Runner', but this is my first read by anything Hosseini ever wrote. I'm expecting it to be amazing, because the movie was a wonderful story and since books are mostly better than the movies, the writing is bound to be better.

Finished reading One moment, One morning - a nice enough book, a quick read that dealt with the aftermath of the death of a 51 year old family man on a train, and how his death affected those close to him before his death and one stranger on the train and how their live became linked. I found it interesting (and a little emotional) to see how they all dealt with their grief but didn't feel it went deep enough, but as I said a nice little read to fill the gap between two more substantial books.

Have now started The girl who kicked the hornets nest, read the other two over six months ago and have been putting it off as I found them a bit heavy reading but feel ready now!

Finished A is for Alibi by Sue Grafton, and it has killed my mojo a bit. :icon_eek:

I'm going to start The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver, as I liked The Poisonwood Bible. Also, I'm reading The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid, by Bill Bryson, and he is always readable. :boogie:

Its good to be sentimental, especially when its a book you enjoy hen :D

I agree wholeheartedly, Weave! ;)

I finished my re-read last night and tonight will continue on with the Neighbors.

I've read about 110 pages of On the Road, I'm still enjoying it.

frankie, On the Road is one of my all time favorites. Glad to see you're enjoying it! =)

Just finished Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. Loved, loved, loved it! Going to read Little Bee by Chris Cleave next.

First day after my last day of college!!! So I started Water for Elephants - which I've seen on the shelves for a long time now, but never picked up. So since there is time now, and a movie is coming out for it - I figured it was probably good so I picked up as my first read this summer!!

Excited to be back on the forum & reading!!

Glad to have you back, MountainGirl :D. Water for Elephants is an excellent book!

I read a few pages of The Neighbors this morning before work and am hoping to get further tonight.

Today I have to rearrange my bookcases and shelves to fit in ~50 books in the already close quarters, it's going to take a lot of squeezing. I already had to customize one more cardboard box for the books but I don't think that'll fit in everything. It's a very relaxing, joyful task but I'm a bit anxious because I have no idea how to arrange the books and which books to put in the cardboard box. I think I have to to arrange them according to the 1001 Books list, but I don't know where to put those. And should I create a certain nook for the books that have been recommended by the members of BCF (which I probably will do), and where to put them, and where to put the books that don't fall into any of my currently existing categories.

Edited by frankie

Today I have to rearrange my bookcases and shelves to fit in ~50 books in the already close quarters, it's going to take a lot of squeezing. I already had to customize one more cardboard box for the books but I don't think that'll fit in everything. It's a very relaxing, joyful task but I'm a bit anxious because I have no idea how to arrange the books and which books to put in the cardboard box. I think I have to to arrange them according to the 1001 Books list, but I don't know where to put those. And should I create a certain nook for the books that have been recommended by the members of BCF (which I probably will do), and where to put them, and where to put the books that don't fall into any of my currently existing categories.

what a delightful chore! enjoy your sorting :smile2: