Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 14

Chrissy

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just found out Amazon are having a Spring Spectacular for Kindle, and have downloaded some real bargains, plus a couple of books I couldn't wait any longer for ...

The Girl With Glass Feet - Ali Shaw

For Richer, For Poorer: A Love Affair With Poker - Victoria Coren

The Apple - Michel Faber

Finding Sky - Joss Stirling

Chickens, Mules and Two old Fools - Victoria Twead

City of Fallen Angels - Cassandra Clare

Monsters of Men - Patrick Ness

I read Chesilbeach's earlier post and headed straight for the Kindle Spring Spectacular. :giggle2:

For a grand total of £10.93 I uploaded 9 books!

Sacred Games by Vikram Chandra

Remember Remember by Judy Parkinson

The Book With No Name by Anonymous

The End Of Mr Y by Scarlett Thomas

Pigeon English by Stephen Kelman

Let The Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist ( I have this in tree too!)

Ordinary Thunderstorms by William Boyd

Stormbreaker by Anthony Horowitz

The Good Man Jesus & The Scoundrel Christ by Philip Pullman

Now, I shouldn't have read your post Chrissy cos I've just been on to the Spring Kindle Spectacular too :irked::lol:

Fortunately, I stopped after 3 books as I've still got loads of stuff to get through. Anyway I downloaded:

We all ran into the Sunlight - Natalie Young

An expert in murder - Nicola Upson

The Warsaw Anagrams - Richard Zimler

that should keep me out of mischief for a while anyway.

Why oh why is there so much month left at the end of my money :( I need to spend some on Kindle!

Up to 25% read of House of Silence and lovin it :) so glad my mojo has made a brief appearance lol

started and finished reading Sheryliyn Kenyon - No Mercy last night was a bit blah really, after such a good week for books I am struggling to find something to sink my teeth into

I bought two books for myself today, Barbara Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible and August Ahlqvist's Letters. I also bought Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy and a biography of Einstein for BF for his Birthday. They make a boring gift because he was with me when I purchased them, he doesn't remember the Clancy titles he's already read so how am I supposed to know them either? So when I found the copy I asked him if he's read it and when he said 'nope' I told him I'd get it for him. I also saw the Einstein book and ask if it was something he'd find interesting and because he said 'yep', I got it for him, too. :D

Uh'oh, I just remembered, he might not have realised that the Einstein book was in Finnish, he might not like it now. I'm the English major and he shits bricks if he has to read anything in Finnish :rolleyes:

Edited by frankie

I've just started One moment, one morning (Sarah Rayner) after a friends recommendation, can't see where it's going at the moment and a big change from the Clan of the Cave Bear that I just finished, but hopefully will be good.....

started and finished reading Sheryliyn Kenyon - No Mercy last night was a bit blah really, after such a good week for books I am struggling to find something to sink my teeth into

I'm having the same problem. After loving Discovery of Witches so much, it took me ages to get into Unholy Ghosts by Stacia Kane and even when I did I found it to be just ok. I've finished it and have started Night Shift by Nora Roberts, a bit Mills & Boonish and I could probably predict the plot, but I'm hoping it will pick up :rolleyes:

I'm having the same problem. After loving Discovery of Witches so much, it took me ages to get into Unholy Ghosts by Stacia Kane and even when I did I found it to be just ok. I've finished it and have started Night Shift by Nora Roberts, a bit Mills & Boonish and I could probably predict the plot, but I'm hoping it will pick up :rolleyes:

Yeah think I am going to have to visit the bookshop this weekend and get one off my list of must have's might go for somehting completely different and do some crime :wink:

Thats the problem with some of Nora Roberts too, she has some good ones then some are so so samey, used to read a lot of hers but got bored after the last series.

I am chugging through The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami. Am over halfway and it has taken me probably a week so far which is ages for me. It's a strange read and I'm not really sure where it's going or what the point is at the moment. I'm interested enough to finish it.

At the mo I only want to read "nice" books that leave me happy. I think because I am pregnant. But this kind of restricts my choices. I may have to get some recommendations.

Oh Frankie I though The Poisonwood Bible was a really interesting read. I found the "evangelism" aspect quite disturbing as the pastor in it was so misguided and I hate to see Christians represented in that way. Even though it's unfortunately true in many situations! But it was a really thought provoking book and interesting to find out what happened to all the characters.

Hi guys just got back from Glasgow yesterday and have totally lost the plot with my reading..tried and failed to finish Neverwhere but it's just not for me - I just don't care enough about the characters to continue with it...just don't think its for me - Have also been picking up Wally Lamb's couldn't keep it to myself as it's full of short stories so easy to dip in and out of...am about 100 pages through Cider House Rules and then started reading Let The Right One In on the train! Arghh!!

I need to just pick one so going to concentrate on Cider House Rules for now - seems like a bit of a slow start but enjoying the descriptions of abortion back in the day.

I managed to finish two books today, Pandemoium - Christopher Brookmyer and Blood Bound - Patricia Briggs. Pandemonium is a re-read cause I couldn't find anything in the library last weekend and I love the way he writes both gruesome but also so witty. Blood Bound was one I had reserved from the library, the second book has come before the first :irked: which I also ordered but read it anyway. Enjoyed both although think Blood Bound is very similar to others in this vein.......why oh why did I read A Discover of Witches this week its ruined everything :D

I finished The Motorcycle Diaries. Started and finished Nights Edge - Charlaine Harris and Others and Kitty and the Midnight Hour - Carrie Vaughn. I'm definitely going to be reading the rest of the series!

Have now started The God of Small Things - Arundati Roy but I'm not sure I'm following it all that well. :( I'm not sure whether to put it down and try again when I'm more in the mood for it.