Manda Scott

Booknutt

I recently read an "ad" for Manda Scott's "Dreaming" series of 4 novels, which will be re-released for it's 10th anniversary later this year.

How on earth I came to overlook this series before, I don't know, for I've been a "historical" fan for ... well, umpteen years.

Basically, she tells the story of Boudica throughout the novels, Iron Age Warrior Queen, who gave the Romans a really hard time - the books being channeled to Manda, through her own dreams.

Makes one wonder if Boudica herself was the source (!) as little is actually known about the true facts of the fate of this feisty lady. The sneaky Romans saw to that.

I'd put it on my "sounds interesting" list to follow-up, but only yesterday actually spotted an as-new copy of "Dreaming the Eagle" (the first of the series) in a charity shop, for a quarter of what it'd have cost me full price. (Charity shops being a good source of decent-quality books these days, they're worth a visit from any bookworm) So my fate is sealed - and "Eagle" is my next "read".

I loved the reviews for this series, and I've a feeling I'll enjoy it - has anyone else read it?

I have read the whole Boudicca series, and absolutely loved them. I always feel the sign of a good book is when you can smell the scene as much as see it, and that is definitely the case here.

Manda Scott is a really good writer, with great skill at descibing a scene so thorougly you see it away from the text. Her characters are well rounded and complex individuals and she seems to be equally at ease with historical novels such as her Boudicca series, as well as her crime / thriller books.

Looking forward toreading what you think of them Booknutt. :)

• 6 years later...

Oh, come on - surely there are more readers than Chrissy and self to have enjoyed this series?

Hard to believe our posts were so long ago. This series has recently surfaced again from my favoured personal library.

I've a feeling I'm headed back to ancient Britain soon. Time travelling again.