Lost Book Club challenge.

catwoman

Ok so I have recently go into the TV show LOST. While watching I noticed many references and books being talked about or shown. Then on one of the boxsets, it actually had a special discussion by the producers and cast about the books talked about or shown in the show, and they called it 'The Lost book club'

Now after watching up to midway of season four. I sruggled a little bit after the ending of season three. (Charlie is my fav) I have decided that I want to read all the books on this 'list' if anyone is up for doing the challange with me I am more than happy to put the list of the books up on this thread. It would be nice to do it with some other people, espcially as my mojo is still pretty bad.

I also found out that my library book club book Slaughterhouse 5 is on the list so this will be my first book.

Feel free to PM me or add to this thread. I am more than happy to list all the books :) or even a discussion for people who have read som eof the featured books and how you might think they relate to Lost. For me there will be a few re-reads which is great :D

Happy reading

CW

• 2 weeks later...

I was late watching LOST mate, but now I am a right 'Lostie' even though I hve stopped at season for for a few reasons. I am planning on putting up the list tonight. There are some right classics on there and some I have never even heard off.

As for Slaughterhouse 5. Some amazing comparisons to the book including some scenes to do with Charlie and Desmond. you can see where they got some inspiration from that book. Will be writing a review on my book log tonight. I would recommend this book purely on it being a great novel and also b ecause there are a lot of 'lost' parts in it :D

I am thinking a re-read of Lord of the Flies might be in order next. I found my old copy yesterday, and when I started watching LOST I could already see the comparisions and I read the book at school.

• 1 month later...

Ok here is a list of the books. I will try and do put a few up at a time, as I don't have much time at the moment.

*The Adventures of Tom Sawyer - Mark Twain

*After all these years - susan Issacs

*Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. - Lewis caroll

*Animal farm - George Orwell

*Are you there god? It's me Margret. - Judy Blume

*Bad Twin - Laurence Shames/ Gary Troup

*Bluebeard - Charles Perrault

*Book of Laws - Mann

* (The) Holy Bible

*(A) Brief History of Time - Stephen Hawking

*(The) Brother's Karamazov - Fyodar Dostoevsky

*carvan of Dreams - Idries Shah

*Carrie - Stephen King

*Catch 22 - Joesph Heller

*(A) Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens

*(the) Chosen - Chaim Potok

*(the) chronicles of Narnia - C.S. Lewis

*The Coalwood way - Homer Hickman

TO BE CONTINUED>>>>>>>>

*Dark horse - Tami Hoag

*(The) dark Tower 1: The Gunslinger - Stephen King

*(The) Dark Tower 2 : The drawing of the three - Stephen King

*The) Dark Tower 3: The Wastelands - Stephen King

*(The) Dark Tower 4: song of Susannah - Stephen King

* Dirty Work - Stewart Woods

*(the) Epic of Gilgamesh - Gilamesh

*Everything that rises must converge - Flannery O Conner

*Evil under the sun - Agatha Christie

*Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury

Edited by catwoman

I completely and utterly love LOST and this challenge sounds fantastic. I might have to put it down as a long-term challenge but I'm certainly up for it. I might use it as an excuse to re-watch all the series' whilst I'm there as well. :lol:

I spy King's Dark Tower series! A series I've been meaning to get around for a while now; this challenge looks like it could be excellent.

Good Luck with the challenge.

I am a huge Lost fan watched it from the beginning and have often thought of reading the books but most of them aren't really my thing. I had already read a couple of them through school and liked them but they are the easier ones like Of Mice and Men, Animal Farm and Lord of the Rings. Since watching Lost I tried and disliked Carrie and Catch 22. I did however (surprisingly for me) enjoy The Third Policeman which once I stopped trying to understand found quite intresting. I am currently ploughing my way through Our Mutual Friend of which I have been reading a chapter here and there for nearly two years now but I am determind to finish it.

Hi Easy Reader! Thanks for dropping by!

I have The Third policeman on my TBR pile and I look forward to reading it. I have been told to just read it like it is and try not to make sense of it. There are some real interesting ones on there. It would great if you wanted to try and read some with me.

Welcome to the site.

CW.

I spy King's Dark Tower series! A series I've been meaning to get around for a while now; this challenge looks like it could be excellent.

Hey Ben! Yep you spy well my friend. Apparently Dark Tower Book two has soo many links to Charlie's character it's unreal. So I look forward to reading these. I only have book three at the moment.

There are loads more Stephen King in the list. He was such a big influence on the writers.

• 2 months later...

Our Mutual Friend – Charles Dickens

2/10 and I am really giving it a two as a reward to myself for finishing it.

I only really read this because of its connections to Lost, the connection being that one of the characters Desmond carries a copy around with him as he is saving it to be the last book he reads before he dies.

I ordered my copy online and didn’t realise until it turned up just how long it is. Its 928 pages and the text is small. I tried not to be overwhelmed by the size of it and set out with the plan of reading a chapter a month until I got the swing of it. I never got into the swing never came. I had the genius idea of copy pasting each chapter into word on my pc at work so that I could read it gradually in moments of boredom at work (a regular occurrence). Approximately two years later I have finally finished it.

The book for me contains far too many characters (20 major and 16 minor in total), too many similar characters, too many characters going by different names and far too much going on all wrapped up in a mammoth 67 chapters. For a large part of the book I didn’t have a clue what was going on and was constantly looking up book synopsis online to get a better idea of what was happening, some of the synopsis were books in themselves, and most left just as confused if not more so than I was before I looked things up.

My own synopsis of the book is….

John Harmon’s should inherit his now deceased fathers wealth but on the condition that he marries Bella Wilfer. At the beginning of the book a body is found in the river as John Harmon has faked his own death and is now calling himself John Rokesmith and gets a job working with the Boffins, who in the event of Harmons apparent death now run his father’s business, in an attempt to get to know Bella better. For some reason or other Bella lives with the Boffins.

That is pretty much what I understood to be important to the book there is loads of other stuff and other people who as far as I am concerned could have been edited out of the book. The basis of the book is a nice idea but the process is so protracted and unnecessary that it, for me, took the life out of the story.

I did have to laugh yesterday when I looked up another synopsis for it “The book is largely believed to be the most challenging that Dickens produced” you can say that again.

Getting back to the Lost connection I have to say if Desmond was saving this to be the book that he was going to read last before he died then he must have been expecting a long drawn out death.