Hardback vs paperback

Maureen

Ok, I phrased that wrongly....what i meant is while reading, it does not make a difference to you holding a paperback, or holding a hardback? (or carrying around a paperback or a hardback...)

No, I knew what you meant. I don't notice a difference while carrying them, and I just throw them in a backpack if I have a bunch.

The only thing I have noticed is I like to read paperbacks laying down and hardcovers sitting down, but I don't prefer either. They read the same as in I've never thought, "I wish this was a paperback." or vice versa.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just received my copy of Sams book, 'Another Time, Another Place', and as its not published I got a hardback. And its lovely. I was surprised at the difference, cos I rearely read hardbacks. I keep picking it up and stroking it. I can't wait to read it.:friends0:

Thank you, Purple Poppy - that's just made my day. :D

Ronnie said

f/k/a Nicky, sorry for the confusion but I asked to have my screen name changed from Nicky (a random pick that I could not get used to) to Ronny (my actual name and what I'm used to being called)

I haven't been around for a few days and thought that you had made alot of posts very quickly for a newbie...then you explained. Hi again Ronny.:friends0:

Hello mcolettel, welcome to the forum! :friends0:

It's true! They are easier to hold above your head, I'd forgotten that uncomfortable feeling as your arms begin to tire and wobble but you're just too settled to move!! They should make ceiling harnesses for books so that you can lay in bed and not have to suspend your arms.

Hello mcolettel, welcome to the forum! :)

It's true! They are easier to hold above your head, I'd forgotten that uncomfortable feeling as your arms begin to tire and wobble but you're just too settled to move!! They should make ceiling harnesses for books so that you can lay in bed and not have to suspend your arms.

Hi Princess! I worry about dozing off as well - if a paperback hits your nose it won't hurt anywhere near as much!!!!

Lol!! There are lots of medical type people on this forum.. I wonder if they have come across these types of injuries in their experiences!! Imagine the damage that Gone with the Wind could cause!!!

:D:) :)

If it's a book I really want to keep I'll buy it in paperback, otherwise it's paperback

??

It's been a while since I read a hardback. The last was the John Peel auto/biography which I came across ridiculously cheap, I was waiting for it to be published in paperback, but couldn't resist it at the price I got. It was very heavy and big, not particularly comfortable reading, but looked great on the bookshelf. Otherwise I'd say about 95% of the books I read are paperback, purely down to being a skin-flint!

I confess that I haven't read the entire thread, being a newb to the forum and wanting to share my opinion. But I have seen a few mentions of Large Paperbacks, and wonder if there is really a demand for the huge "C" format paperbacks, which are usually the size and weight of a hardback, are they produced instead of a hardback? Otherwise I really see no point to them

I confess that I haven't read the entire thread, being a newb to the forum and wanting to share my opinion. But I have seen a few mentions of Large Paperbacks, and wonder if there is really a demand for the huge "C" format paperbacks, which are usually the size and weight of a hardback, are they produced instead of a hardback? Otherwise I really see no point to them
Hi Bookgarden (& welcome to the forum, by the way!). I have quite a few of those large-format paperbacks that i managed to get very cheaply. Initially I got them because the books looked interesting (as always), but they look great on the shelves, because they are the same height as the hardbacks, so there's no "dip" on the shelves when I slot them in place like there is with the smaller ones. That said, they're more trouble to lug around for my "portable" reading, as they're a bit big for asmaller handbag, but if I'm using a bigger bag, it's not a problem.

Well, I like the hardback books best, because they are more aesthetically pleasing to look at.
Hi Dogberry (& welcome to you to). I know what you mean - often the hardbacks have far nicer covers - I suspect it's partly to justfy the higher price & encourage us to choose them over the paperbacks.

I only really get hardbacks as gifts or if I've been given book vouchers a when I'm buying books, I tend to try & get as many as I can. There are very few authors I'll actually buy the hardback straight off. That said, I've decided that I'd like to replace some of my paperbacks with the hardback versions, such as my old Pratchetts & the first 5 Harry Potter books (I have the 6th one in the adult cover hardback & it's somuch prettier than the kids' cover paperbacks!).