Hardback vs paperback

Maureen

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bagpuss said

No, I think it's...

The Ladies of Grace Adieu and other stories.

I assume it's this one.

PP

Thanks for the pic. :D I know one shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, but I'm afraid I'm guilty of that! This one really isn't my cup of tea and I'd probably pass it by. ;)

LOL!! I am an advertisers dream!! My boyf always laughs at me! ...I recently returned home from Debenhams with three of the worlds sharpest knives, four small knives, and two juicers.. I had been watching a promotions guy who convinced me I needed all this stuff! My boyf did the same knife 'tests' when I got home to show me that it was exactly the same as the knives we already had! ;) I really was certain that I'd never seen a tomato cut so effortlessly! ...I should be supervised at all times...

Sorry... way off topic!

We all do it at one point, the deal sounds great, then you get home and its like, 'oh no....'

I do like the look of hardbacks, but I prefer paperbacks, they are easier to carry, cheaper and fit in my bag, I am trying to keep my bag as small as possible this year...

;)

Gyre said

I do like the look of hardbacks, but I prefer paperbacks, they are easier to carry, cheaper and fit in my bag, I am trying to keep my bag as small as possible this year...

I've been trying for the last thirty years! I haven't succeeded yet. My ex used to say my bags were like binbags, black and full of rubbish!;)

I do sometimes wonder why publishers persist with releasing books in hardback first - in the interests of profit (and we all know about publishers and profit) you'd think they'd want to maximise sales from the start. Paperbacks must be way cheaper to produce, and how many more people buy them?

I'm just hanging for the day my publisher tells me they're going to put Another Time and Place into paperback. Then I might actually see a decent number of sales - I can't count the number of people who've told me they're waiting for it to come out in paperback.

Sam....do you not have any control over what the publisher does. Can you not move to another publisher, or is contracted for a specific time?

The short answer is no to the first two questions, and yes to the third.

Macmillan New Writing was set up as a new imprint of Macmillan last year specifically to publish previously unpublished authors. To keep costs down, (and therefore to be able to publish more writers) the terms aren't negotiable.

Basically I'm happy with the arrangement - my book has been published by a branch of a major international publisher, and will, hopefully, eventually be available in paperback. I think the process is pretty much the same with most publishers and something I'm learning is that absolutely nothing in publishing happens quickly. It's just that it's hard to be patient.

Macmillan New Writing was set up as a new imprint of Macmillan last year specifically to publish previously unpublished authors. To keep costs down, (and therefore to be able to publish more writers) the terms aren't negotiable.

It's strange that they don't publish the new writers in paperback first. You'd think it'd make more financial and commercial sense: people are more likely to buy paperbacks by writers they haven't read before, than in more pricey hardback. It doesn't seem to make business sense! Or have I missed something?

It's strange that they don't publish the new writers in paperback first. You'd think it'd make more financial and commercial sense: people are more likely to buy paperbacks by writers they haven't read before, than in more pricey hardback. It doesn't seem to make business sense! Or have I missed something?

Yes, I know. I thought the same thing - but that's just the way it is, and quite frankly, I'm just happy to be published.

I'm just hanging for the day my publisher tells me they're going to put Another Time and Place into paperback. Then I might actually see a decent number of sales - I can't count the number of people who've told me they're waiting for it to come out in paperback.

I'm afraid I was one of the people who said that!

I used to read Judy Astley. She used to bring out a new book every April, always straight into paperback, but 2006's book came out in hardback. Maybe she became more popular?

So if money was not the issue, you'd prefer reading the hardback?

Honestly, I don't prefer either one over the other for reading. I buy paperbacks because they are cheaper, but I like hardcovers because they are more durable and last longer. They both read the same to me though, lol.