"Read Before You Die" Lists...

Kasei

I'm trying to find a good list of must-read books out there but so far I'm struggling. I mean, I understand that a task like making a list of books everyone should read is an extremely difficult if not impossible task due to differences in taste, but I was wondering if anyone around here had found (or even made, if you felt industrious once upon a time) such a list.

Edited by Kasei

Hello there! I myself own a copy of a book called 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die, the 2006 edition, edited by Peter Boxall. If you want to take a look at it, it's on the first page on my reading blog. You can find those lists on the Internet as well, for example here's a list, I think of the 2008 edition.

Kylie has a copy of a book that contains 501 Must Read books, if you like you can ask her more about it.

Edited by frankie

Kylie has a copy of a book that contains 501 Must Read books, if you like you can ask her more about it.

^ That's me! 006.gif

The 501 Must Read Books shares some titles in common with the 1001 Books that Frankie mentioned, but it's different in that it's split into genres and includes children's books and non-fiction. The genres are: children's, classics, history, memoirs, modern fiction, science fiction, thrillers, and travel writing. A full list of the books can be found here. You might like to browse the list first before you decide whether or not to buy it.

If you're into reading children's books, there's also a 1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up. It includes a lot of great reads for young adults but unfortunately also includes picture books for the toddlers (which I guess isn't unfortunate if you have kids to read them to!).

I really like the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die. There have been different editions in 2006, 2008 and 2010. There weren't many changes to 2010, but a couple of hundred in 2008. You can't really go wrong with any of them, I think.

The 501 Must Read Books shares some titles in common with the 1001 Books that Frankie mentioned, but it's different in that it's split into genres and includes children's books and non-fiction. The genres are: children's, classics, history, memoirs, modern fiction, science fiction, thrillers, and travel writing.

Wow, I'm actually rather surprised to see Lord of the Rings under children's fiction--what kind of children are we talking about here? xD But cool! Thanks for the help guys, I'm just trying to compile some reading lists for myself and wanted to branch out a bit from my usual selections, but I wasn't sure where to start.

If anyone else has any out there though I'd still love to look! Ones curiosity must never be satiated. :)

Edited by Kasei

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Following are Books Name, Which helps to Read Before You Die:

The Great Gatsby
Brave New World
The Grapes of Wrath
A Passage to India
Life of Pi

Hamlet
The Wind in the Willows
The Diary of a Young Girl